Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Is it Worth Buying? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/6284-worth-buying.html)

Wes 26th August 2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 361241)
Doh, i knew there was a reason i wanted to go back to hmv was going to pick up the elephant man along with some others, with any luck will still be there at the end of the week.

Yep, hopefully cos it's a magnificent film, really it is. I'm no fan of Mel Brooks but he was instrumental in getting the film made as he was a big admirer of Eraserhead and made sure David Lynch got the gig...

trebor8273 26th August 2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 361242)
Yep, hopefully cos it's a magnificent film, really it is. I'm no fan of Mel Brooks but he was instrumental in getting the film made as he was a big admirer of Eraserhead and made sure David Lynch got the gig...

their was a lot of them when i looked, and i cant see it being a big seller with joe public so with any luck i can pick one up later in the week.

edit

der golem and Vampyr worth getting?

Wes 26th August 2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 361244)
their was a lot of them when i looked, and i cant see it being a big seller with joe public so with any luck i can pick one up later in the week.

edit

Yep, both are well worth getting. Der Golem is based on an ancient Jewish myth about a man-made creature, obvious shades of Frankenstein and an important early fantasy film... Vampyr is a incredible film, a genuinely dreamlike work which has few parallels in Cinema. Be warned though the film is hypnotically slow so if pick it up choose your time well to sit down and watch it. The MOC disc comes with a really good Guillermo Del Toro commentary track...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th August 2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 361244)

I can't recommend them highly enough as both are masterpieces of silent cinema. The Guillermo del Toro commentary on Vampyr is one of the best I've ever heard.

trebor8273 28th August 2013 09:11 PM

Thinking of getting these at some point

DIE NIBELUNGEN

Metropolis

Fritz langs M

Passion of Joan of arc

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 361875)
Thinking of getting these at some point

DIE NIBELUNGEN

Metropolis

Fritz langs M

Passion of Joan of arc

You must have a massive 'to watch' pile already, but these four films would be great additions to it!

trebor8273 29th August 2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 361950)
You must have a massive 'to watch' pile already, but these four films would be great additions to it!

I do, but really enjoyed nosferatu so wanting to try more silent films and these ones caught my fancy. But I do need to stop buying stuff till my to watch pile goes down.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 361956)
I do, but really enjoyed nosferatu so wanting to try more silent films and these ones caught my fancy. But I do need to stop buying stuff till my to watch pile goes down.

In that case, the Masters of Cinema releases (through Eureka) are essential purchases!

Bringer Of Funerals 29th August 2013 10:43 AM

I have Metropolis & Le Niebelungen

trebor8273 29th August 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 361977)
I have Metropolis & Le Niebelungen

How are they