Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2016, 01:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It was the last thing I saw, so it's fresher in my mind. I'll be able to describe the film – and my favourite stories – better when I have seen it again.

It's also probably a hangover from reviewing discs for so long, writing down the length and quality of every extra feature on the disc!
Do you still do the reviews, Nos?
Old 29th October 2016, 04:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Do you still do the reviews, Nos?
No, not for quite some time. I now don't have time with studying and working.
Old 29th October 2016, 05:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

silent hill. 8/10

Trick R Treat. 9/10

Old 29th October 2016, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Time to annoy the neighbors... penultimate ABUKtober classic.

Old 29th October 2016, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Two Thousand Maniacs! (aka 2,000 Maniacs) (1964, USA)

Two Thousand Maniacs! (aka 2,000 Maniacs) (1964, USA)

Probably one of my favourite H.G.lewis movies,and I think its his most well made and certainly one of his more entertaining films.I mean who does not like rampaging southern red necks getting revenge.The towns folk of Pleasant Valley have come back from the dead to get even with any body from the North who might accidentally end up in there town.Pretty much a blue print for any southern redneck caricature in movies there after.Not as blatantly over the top with its gore as say Blood Feast,its still a pretty mean spirited film with its jeering grinning cast taking much pleasure in getting revenge on there victims.The characters are pretty extreme even for southern rednecks and it really taps into the North ans South prejudices,not helped any by the most antagonistic of theme songs with the chorus The south is gonna rise again,not inflammatory at all then? Of course like most of Lewis movies they are of there time,which is why remakes seldom manage to catch that other worldly feeling you get when your watching a mannequin have its arm chopped off by a bunch of leering goons. For all of its pot boiler low budgetness,Maniacs is still a great Lewis movie,and definitely his most polished movie (all right that's not always saying a lot with Mr Lewis,but give me this any time over any of Jerry Bruckheimer's movies) . And lets give credit where credit is due,its pretty inventive with its deaths and mutilations,in fact the second halve of the film is almost Its A knockout meets Takeshi's Castle ,its amazingly silly stuff compared to the arm looping and finger slicing, it gives the film a nicely twisted and perverse feel,although they go to a lot of trouble with there rock dropping machine.The cast is the usual array of Lewis amateurs with pointy bra wearing Connie Mason and the ever affable lewis favourite William Kerwin . A real barrel of laughs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg two_thousand_maniacs_poster_01.jpg (102.6 KB, 5 views)

Old 29th October 2016, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

So have you go this bells and whistles box set of Lewis films, Inspector?
Old 29th October 2016, 10:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So have you go this bells and whistles box set of Lewis films, Inspector?
No,Ive got all the Something Weird US blu ray releases,plus there original DVD box set and some of there individual releases, plus a couple of the Tartan dvds that came out a few years back,so Ive got more than enough Lewis. If the price dropped or they released some individual titles on blu,like She devils on Wheels and a few others then Id double dip.

Old 30th October 2016, 09:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default October Horror Movie Marathon

Film #12

"Zombi Holocaust"

Zombies AND cannibals! What's not to like?? The gore scenes were pretty well done and gruesome and the film was pretty decent. I also watched the eaten alive docu on the special features of the 88 release. Really good documentary and the interviews with the directors and cast members are great to see. All the wee anecdotes and memories from the time of filming and locations are great to hear, and the actor's opinions to the movie's content are good and often quite surprising.

Film #13

"They Live"

This is one of my favourite movies. I love how visual the scenes are where Nada has the glasses and is just looking at our day to day stuff, being able to see through all the bullshit. When you look see these scenes at first it's like "wow, what imagination!", but then when you think about it it's like just so obvious that's the truth and is really what all the adverts, etc are saying to you. The themes about the minority in power keeping the masses under control, asleep and obedient are so right on. It's a really relevant film that has this serious and important message but stays comic enough to appeal to persons (like me) who otherwise wouldn't sit through a hard line political drama. Thoroughly enjoyable and thought provoking.

Right, back to the trash.

Film #14

"Splatter University"

Decent enough wee slasher film with some good gore effects, but the killings were all so similar and unimaginative. It gave the killer's identity away so obviously and early on in the film that I was sure it was a red herring and I was waiting on the twist coming at some point...but it never did. I enjoyed the one liners here and there where students were learning of their friend's deaths with utter nonchalance. These were obviously mocking the formula of slasher films set in schools where there's a maniac at large and all these pupils and teachers are being offed one by one but the rest of the students and teachers are continuing to come to school to work and study, and the "advice" being given out is simply to "be careful, there's a nutter out there somewhere".

Good thing I enjoy these stupid troma movies!

Film #15

"What really frightens you?"

This full feature length film is included in the special features on 88's Splatter U disc. It's a solid enough wee supernatural horror film about a journalist for a horror magazine who interviews some people on the street about what really frightens them. The stories picked are then written about in the magazine. The interviewees then start having nightmares and hallucinations about what really frightens them, leading to them being literally scared to death...! :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th October 2016, 03:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Well, there's only one place left to go in ABUKtober... cue Fanfare.

Old 30th October 2016, 04:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tales from the crypt. 9/10

The Invisible Man. 9.5/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!