Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

SharonLynette 14th October 2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 464721)
I saw that last night again. (Which reminds me i want to read the 24 page booklet on it by Marcus Hearn) It's one of those that won't ever win any best film polls but i really like it.

Plus it has this classic quote - "It's like Boris Karloff is going to pop up at any moment".

I take it the link is director Vernon Sewell?

Yes. Oh and both have Grim's Dyke House don't they?

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 464722)
Yes. Oh and both have Grim's Dyke House don't they?

Can't remember actually. It's ages since i watched The Blood Beast Terror. It was the second film i reviewed in the Gothic thread.

trebor8273 14th October 2015 09:12 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Next tonight

Attachment 171256

Attachment 171257

Attachment 171258

Attachment 171259

Attachment 171260
Attachment 171261

Attachment 171262

Attachment 171263

Attachment 171264

Attachment 171265

Attachment 171266

MacBlayne 14th October 2015 09:39 PM

http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movi...24_p_v7_aa.jpg

Hmm... A bizarre one this. It feels like three different types of films awkwardly stitched together. There's the Friday the 13th clone (annoying dumb teens having annoying dumb fun and illicit sex!). There's the traditional Halloween conflict between Dr. Loomis and Michael Myers. And then we have Dominique Othenin-Girard and his puffy directing pants trying to remake Frankenstein with Michael Myers.

I don't want to be too mean to Mr. Othenin-Girard. I did a bit of looking up on him and found out he does a lot of charity work for Down's Syndrome awareness. So, despite being a very, very flawed film (stilted pacing and suspect acting), I am going to focus on the positives.

+ Once again, Donald Pleasance and Danielle Harris are brilliant. They alone manage to make the film worthwhile.

+
SPOILER:
Despite being killed off early (probably because she wasn't as stupid the other teens), Ellie Cornell's return is much appreciated.

+ For all it's faults, Halloween 5 is a great looking film. A lot of Othenin-Girard's choices are very questionable, but he has a stronger eye for visuals than Dwight H. Little. The cinematography and production design are top-notch. The close-up on Harris' face before she faints (off-centre camera, wide-lens and strong clashing colours) is a great example.

+ Earlier, I criticised the teens for being stupid. But, they were smart enough to use protection during sex. So, I have to give them that much credit.

+ The showdown between Jamie Lloyd and Michael Myers is pretty good. Harris' performance and Othenin-Girard's use of wide-angle lenses will have you on the edge of your seat.

+
SPOILER:
And finally, Dr. Loomis collapsing next to a subdued Michael would have been a nice send-off for the character. While he did not create Michael, he always carried a sense of responsibility (even if he didn't have to). With Michael now captured, Loomis is at peace and passes on.

And then Part 6 pissed all over it.

Justin101 15th October 2015 08:41 AM

I watched The Invisible Man followed by The Creeps last night. From the sublime to the second-rate :lol:

Never seen either of these before and I enjoyed both of them but for very different reasons. All the way through The Invisible Man I kept thinking how bad it was for Claude Rains in his Hollywood big break but no-one can see his face! It was surprisingly violent and horrific at times and very funny at others. Far better than The Mummy which I watched last week!
The Creeps though, man, hahah. So-bad-it's-good hasn't applied so aptly to a film I've watched in a long time. I really loved it but the whole time I was very aware at how shoddy it was. Terrible acting, awful production (clearly zero budget so I'll let them off) and a script that was just embarrassing to hear spoken out loud :lol:

I'm taking part in the Letterboxd's community horror-thon now which has added rules to follow;

This is the originator with the rules and the master list of those taking part

‎I Scream, You Scream: Hoop-Tober 2.O (also sadly, now my Wes Craven Tribute), a list of films by Cinemonster • Letterboxd

And this is my list, I'm adding to mine as I watch them, but others have the month planned out and have added all 31 in one go.

‎Hoop-Tober 2.0, a list of films by JustinMc • Letterboxd

MacBlayne 15th October 2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 464757)
I watched The Invisible Man followed by The Creeps last night. From the sublime to the second-rate :lol:

Never seen either of these before and I enjoyed both of them but for very different reasons. All the way through The Invisible Man I kept thinking how bad it was for Claude Rains in his Hollywood big break but no-one can see his face! It was surprisingly violent and horrific at times and very funny at others. Far better than The Mummy which I watched last week!
The Creeps though, man, hahah. So-bad-it's-good hasn't applied so aptly to a film I've watched in a long time. I really loved it but the whole time I was very aware at how shoddy it was. Terrible acting, awful production (clearly zero budget so I'll let them off) and a script that was just embarrassing to hear spoken out loud :lol:

I'm taking part in the Letterboxd's community horror-thon now which has added rules to follow;

This is the originator with the rules and the master list of those taking part

‎I Scream, You Scream: Hoop-Tober 2.O (also sadly, now my Wes Craven Tribute), a list of films by Cinemonster • Letterboxd

And this is my list, I'm adding to mine as I watch them, but others have the month planned out and have added all 31 in one go.

‎Hoop-Tober 2.0, a list of films by JustinMc • Letterboxd

The Invisible Man is a surprisingly brutal film. Kind of went from spooking locals to
SPOILER:
destroying trains rather quickly.

It's a very good film but he didn't do what I would do if I turned invisible - beat up a mime artist.

SharonLynette 15th October 2015 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next up, as I can't find The Blood Beast Terror I'm going to do a simple Barbara Steele link between The Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968) and The Horrible Secret of Dr. Hichcock (1962) AKA The Terror of Dr. Hitchcock AKA (I could go on).

But not yet, soup first.

trebor8273 15th October 2015 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight's first viewing

Attachment 171275.

Inspector Abberline 15th October 2015 05:12 PM

shat the devil

10 Attachment(s)
The Twilight Zone.The Self-Improvement of Salvadore Ross" (1/17/1964)
Don Gordon (Salvadore Ross), is a obnoxius loser who is trying to date Gail Kobe (Leah Maitland) but her father Mr. Maitland who is played by Vaughn Taylor forbids her to see him.A smart little story Written by Jerry McNeely from a short story by Henry Slesar,that see's its protaganist able to swap disabilities and a persons age for money,the only drawback being he has to endure whatever he swaps.obviously it does'nt end well (when does it ever) .

Attachment 171274

Attachment 171276

Attachment 171277

Attachment 171278

Devil Rain.
Great piles of melting faeces er I mean faces are a major part of the climax of this 1970's devil worship movie. Shatner is beamed down to a planet run by Ernest Borgnine, who can't seem to make up his mind wether he's a cowboy or a goat . He dons a red hood and does that funny finger salute people at heavy metal concerts do, all in all its like Aleister Crowley being channelled thru an episode of Sesame Street .It takes it self abit to seriously but it still entertaining enough, I just don't find Ernie Borgnine scary enough, well apart from his over acting. I do luv a good Shatner pic, special mention to his sideburns, looking cool.

trebor8273 15th October 2015 06:42 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Tonight's next viewing, more Lovecraft

Attachment 171299

Attachment 171300

Attachment 171301

Attachment 171302

Attachment 171303

Attachment 171304

Attachment 171305

Attachment 171306