Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2015, 07:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Final movie of the night. Once it's finished will end the night with some street hawk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445195388.590388.jpg
Old 18th October 2015, 09:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Currently watching Fear Itself on the BBC iPlayer, carefully crafted clips of a vast array of horror films. Really like this format, it's really worth giving a watch. Same person that did Beyond Clueless which of course I really liked.
Old 19th October 2015, 09:56 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Updated viewing:

Old 19th October 2015, 11:52 AM
Cult Veteran

Last night I watched House (Hausu)...

What on earth have I just watched? It was like an episode of The Monkees directed by Sam Raimi but with a cast of 7 Japanese school girls. I can honestly say is unlike any other film I've seen, my senses feel assaulted.

I did like it though haha!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th October 2015, 11:54 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Last night I watched House (Hausu)...

What on earth have I just watched? It was like an episode of The Monkees directed by Sam Raimi but with a cast of 7 Japanese school girls. I can honestly say is unlike any other film I've seen, my senses feel assaulted.

I did like it though haha!
I love Hausu. It only gets better with repeat viewings too!
Old 19th October 2015, 04:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default asylum

well im goin up the Asylum tonight.

asylum_poster_03.jpg

Old 19th October 2015, 05:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445274714.421538.jpg

Forgot this is set at Christmas time, maybe I should of saved until then

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th October 2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 19th October 2015, 06:40 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm getting down and dirty with the Dohler tonight...

Old 19th October 2015, 07:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I kind of like this film. It does what most remakes don't do - try something different from the original.

Zombie's decision to humanise Michael Myers is an interesting one. When we see where Michael came from, we obviously feel sympathy for him. However, Zombie challenges this later when we see Michael's brutal acts. Zombie puts us in this uncomfortable position where we can't completely write Michael off as a monster. And this wouldn't work if Zombie went for splatter gore - instead the use of blunt violence makes the film a rather distressing one to sit through at times.

The middle section with Dr. Loomis (a great Malcolm McDowell) and Michael is probably the best part of the film. It's a sad and depressing account of a child falling further and further into darkness, and his doctor slowly realising he's powerless to stop it. Even Sheri Moon Zombie shows unexpected depth as Michael's mother, desperately hoping against hope that her son will pull through.

Sadly, Rob Zombie is own worst enemy. His insistence on cartoonish hillbillies goes against all the great work he has done in creating a believable portrayal of psychopathy. And, his use of awkward swearing makes it hard to feel like part of the characters. Laurie and her friends come off as mean-spirited and it's hard to be truly empathetic when Michael strikes.

Overall, Halloween 2007 comes with many flaws and unnecessary moments, but it is worth a watch for the middle section alone.

SPOILER:
Watching these films back to back, I've noticed something about the relationship between Dr. Loomis and Michael. Michael has had many chances to kill Dr. Loomis (Loomis even pleads with Michael to kill him at times), but he refuses. He even seems hesitant to attack Dr. Loomis, usually preferring to knocking him aside or incapacitating him.

This makes me wonder what Michael's deal is. Does he see Dr. Loomis as the kind father figure he may not have had (Dr. Loomis always takes responsibility for him)? Or is he somewhat afraid of Dr. Loomis? After all, Michael spent 15 years under Dr. Loomis, and he could see him as the figure of authority.

Last edited by MacBlayne; 19th October 2015 at 07:35 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!