Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

trebor8273 18th October 2021 06:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkBSEWy8WfY

Always enjoyed this one, it's creepy mix of religion, quantum physics and the metaphysical , it doesn't seem to get the same recognition as some other Carpenter films, hey it has Donald Pleasence and Alice Cooper as a psychotic / possessed hobo, what more do you want!

The 4k release is a improvement on the old blu ray with bright and good colours and levels of detail on objects and fabric not seen before.

Also watched the first episode of Chucky , really enjoyed it and the spirit of the early movies, great to see Dourif back as Chucky. Seems they will be exploring the back story of Charles Lee Ray too see how he turned out the way he did.

The Guardian hated this so for me that's always a good sign.

Justin101 18th October 2021 07:07 PM

I was just telling Demdike how much I enjoy the Sect in a private Message :lol:

Justin101 18th October 2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 661661)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkBSEWy8WfY

Always enjoyed this one, it's creepy mix of religion, quantum physics and the metaphysical , it doesn't seem to get the same recognition as some other Carpenter films, hey and it has Donald Pleasence and Alice Cooper as a psychotic / possessed hobo, what more do you want!

The 4k release is a improvement on the old blu ray with bright and good colours and levels of detail on objects and fabric not seen before.

Also watched the first episode of Chucky , really enjoyed it and the spirit of the early movies, great to see Dourif back as Chucky. Seems they will be exploring the back story of Charles Lee Ray too see how he turned out the way he did.

The Guardian hated this so for me that's always a good sign.

It's the only one of the Studio Canal discs I upgraded to 4k, love this film and I agree it looks great, especially any scenes in the basement with the particle spinning around all green light!

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2021 07:55 PM

The new 4k print on dvd was a hell of an improvement on the earlier dvd so i'm expecting the Blu-ray of the 4K restoration to look great.

:lol:i'm talking about Prince of Darkness.

MrBarlow 18th October 2021 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
House Of Lost Souls. 1989.

A group of people stay at a run down hotel that is shrouded in mystery and horror.

Another Umberto Lenzi TV flick of the Doomed House series, this time it's a hotel and a creepy proprietor/caretaker...maybe influenced by The Shining and the ghosts of people who died there. The acting is certainly not academy award even the boy in the basement crying, did someone cut a onion near him and told him to fake cry. Another actor looks about 30 years old and sound like he is 50, great dubbing people, the deaths scenes aren't too bad and the Demons soundtrack was re-used for this. This does not get any better second or third time watching it.

Attachment 237023

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th October 2021 08:04 PM

October 17th

2 Attachment(s)
Satan's Little Helper (2004)

Jeff Liebermann's film is becoming a Halloween tradition for me. What begins as a darkly comic study of video game violence on young minds morphs in it's second half into a nasty and cruel prime example of exploitation.

The question really needs asking. Just how dumb is the kid in this?

Brilliant stuff.

Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings (1993)

First unrelated sequel to the 80's classic Pumpkinhead. In all honesty it's not a patch on the Winston film. Although Andrew Robinson does his best as a cop battling against both Pumpkinhead and the abysmal script this is a fairly lame affair.

Certainly the Pumpkinhead creature looks terrific here but why does it seem to go around with it's own electrical storm in tow? It's an epileptic's worst nightmare.

Nordicdusk 18th October 2021 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30 days of unseen horror

Film 12

Attachment 237027

Dr Louis Creed takes his wife and two young kids away from the hustle and bustle of Boston to the quieter slower paced life in Maine. After the family cat his killed by a truck the Creeds neighbour tells Louis to Bury the cat in the pet cemetery in the woods behind their house. That night they head into the woods to bury the cat in secret so the kids don't know their pet has died but Jud takes Louis further into the woods to a special hidden place that brings anything buried there back to life but they dont always return the same as when they left.

This wasn't as bad as i was expecting it to be but that doesn't mean that it was that good either. It has a decent cast especially John Lithgow who is always great to watch and it is well acted. Visually it's a mixed bag with some scenes looking good but others look so fake and cgi it always takes you out of it. The make ip effects again is a mixed bag with some of it looking great but others looked terrible like the scene when the dad is washing the kid she looked like she had no features and her skin was melting off it was pretty odd looking. My main problem with this was a complete lack of atmosphere there is actually no atmosphere at all i got no creepy feeling or tension things just happened and that was it the next thing happened even deaths just seemed to pass without any emotion. This didn't need to be made.

To sum it up it left me with a feeling of nothing.

4/10

Demoncrat 18th October 2021 08:45 PM

20 minutes I lasted, so kudos for sitting through it. :nod:

Nordicdusk 18th October 2021 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 661666)
The new 4k print on dvd was a hell of an improvement on the earlier dvd so i'm expecting the Blu-ray of the 4K restoration to look great.

:lol:i'm talking about Prince of Darkness.

I have a free copy of the studio canal blu ray going if you want it.

Attachment 237028

Justin101 18th October 2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 661673)
20 minutes I lasted, so kudos for sitting through it. :nod:

Exactly the same, I gave up very early in when I tried to watch it.