LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2016, 03:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Don't bother with [.REC] 3 it's awful.
I quite liked it in some respects. Much better than the tepid [REC] 4: Apocalypse.
Graeme73 likes this.
Old 6th October 2016, 03:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I quite liked it in some respects. Much better than the tepid [REC] 4: Apocalypse.
I didn't even know there was a fourth installment. I shan't be bothering with it.

I didn't even bother with the second film.
Old 6th October 2016, 03:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't even know there was a fourth installment. I shan't be bothering with it.

I didn't even bother with the second film.
The second film is up there with the first in my opinion and is more of a direct sequel in the vein of Halloween II etc. where it follows straight on from the first within the same locale. The third is completely different in as much as it shifts location and even ditches the shaky-cam style... I did kind of like it though. The fourth is pretty ropey and takes place on a boat.
Old 6th October 2016, 04:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
The Babadook

Much to JHarker’s dismay, everybody here has had a pop at this film. And I’m sorry, but I didn’t care a lot for it either.

This may be the most frustrating film I’ve seen in a long time as I can see the brilliance within. But, it’s drowned out by a load of art-school bollocks (ironic, considering director Jennifer Kent refused to go to film school), and the most irritating child I have seen in a long time. I get what the film is doing and that the Babadook is a metaphor for the mother’s growing resentment of her child. Yet, this nonsense could have been averted if she would just tell her child to shut the #$*! up.

It probably doesn’t help that I did not find the Babadook itself scary. Kent does an admirable job at building suspense but I ended up giggling when it showed its face. I feel that the film may have been better if the Bababook was only hinted at in the book, instead of manifesting itself physically.

There is something amazing here but it is definitely the work of a first time director that feel that they need to show off (I can easily imagine Kent’s mentor, Lars von Trier, pausing the film every two minutes and asking “what’s this shite about?”). But, I look forward to seeing Kent’s next film. Well, I thought I was looking forward to that but I looked up The Babadook and who Jennifer Kent was.

Critics masturbated themselves over who could deliver the most praise. It wasn’t like those other horror films that relied on gore or scares (apparently, they never saw any Japanese or Korean horror), it was about a lone woman struggling (um, isn’t there a lot of horror films with that as a theme), the perils of raising a child (you’d swear Wes Craven never made New Nightmare), and that it was a woman that directed this horror film (I suppose the Soska sisters, Claire Denis and Kathryn Bigelow aren’t that famous). And Kent seems quite happy resting on her laurels, judging by interviews.

So, I don’t know. Kent is quite talented but I believe she can do much better. Yet, everyone has told her she’s magnificent and she seems to agree that she doesn’t need to do better. I hope she surprises me but I’m getting the horrible feeling that she won’t.

Thanks, critics!
Often i will rewatch a film i didn't like to see if i missed something. I think I'll be giving The Babadook another whirl for the opposite reason. I loved it and I'm now wondering why its getting so mucb flack. Particularly puzzling is i swear when it came out it had at least a dozen gushing reviews on this very forum.
Oh and New Nightmare is crap and the little arsewart of a kid in it is far more irritating than the sprog in Babadook.
Old 6th October 2016, 04:12 PM
Cult Addict

I really like the first two films in the Rec series, the third was watchable and entertaining but not as good and they abandoned the camera gimmick.

The fourth i remember thinking was watchable but didn't amount to much, so much so that i can't actually remember much of it at all.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 6th October 2016, 04:23 PM
Cult Master

More shark action tonight with

Bait_Poster-27x39-01.jpg

Watch out for the review later.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 6th October 2016, 04:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

I watched Rec & Rec 2 as a double bill and loved em, if you can watch both back to back I would advise you to, really good fun. As for tonight's ABUKtober...

Old 6th October 2016, 04:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Oh and New Nightmare is crap
Old 6th October 2016, 05:47 PM
Cult Master

Film No.6

Bait_Poster-27x39-01.jpg

A Tsunami hits a coastal town in Australia and traps the customers of a supermarket in the store but not only is the water rising great white shark has managed to make its way in with the water

The first scene of the film and we are off to a bad start the CGI is absolutely terrible why i am surprised is beyond me. The acting is syfy channel bad and no matter how hard they try and make you care about the characters you honestly just dont give two shits about any of them. As if things are not bad enough they dress one guy up in shopping baskets and bean tins to make him sink to the bottom to turn off the electricity before the water hits the exposed electric cables and the shark just brushes past him maybe taking pity on the poor asshole for volunteering for just a stupid stunt. I was not expecting too much but i did expect to have some fun with this one but it was horrendous all the emotional moments were just painful to watch because there was no emotion just people talking and not feeling anything. There are moments where the shark is a physical prop but more often than not is bad CGI.

Not recommended at all it gets a

2/10

Just gets the 2 because i enjoyed watching annoying people get munched but thats the only good side of the dud.
Old 6th October 2016, 05:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

When i saw you were watching Bait i cringed and hoped you enjoyed it more than i did.

However you didn't.

Like this? Share it using the links below!