LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2016, 01:47 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If i was ranking Dracula's i'd say it's not as good as Hammers first film but is far superior to Argento's film and that Luke Evans thing from a few years back.
Talk about setting the bar low! Argento's film was an abomination and Dracula Untold was a complete mess.

Quote:
I can't really assess the Lugosi one fairly as it's terribly creaky and to be honest i imagine you are a better actor than Bela.
The 1931 Universal film is certainly an oddity because, of the two versions, the Spanish one is certainly the most competently directed, but Bela Lugosi is easily the better vampire count. However, he is nowhere near as compelling as Christopher Lee, Gary Oldman or even Frank Langella.
Old 13th October 2016, 06:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

After picking these 2 up from poundland gonna change Halloween night to this double bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vhs1.jpg (37.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg v2.jpg (13.1 KB, 1 views)
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 13th October 2016, 06:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

And for tonight's ABUKtober...

Old 13th October 2016, 06:42 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
After picking these 2 up from poundland gonna change Halloween night to this double bill.
Prepare for a disappointing Halloween night!
Old 13th October 2016, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantasm: Ravager. 6/10

enjoyable if not a little confusing and you really need to be paying attention, from they story it had the potential to be a great film but is let down by a poor director and could of done with a lot bigger budget, it answers a few questions but ends up leaving more question, not the ending to the series that we expected, drawing it to a close but ends up set it up for more films.

but without Angus they shouldn't bother as he will always be the tall man and if they took as long as they have to get a new film out as they did for this one, Reggie etc will be as old as Angus was when he passed

next up tonight return of the living dead
Old 13th October 2016, 07:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched a cracking UK double bill of PSYCHOMANIA and BLOODBATH AT THE HOUSE OF DEATH last night.

BFI's Psychomania looks astounding!

Haven't watched this since I originally bought the old Euroshock collection dvd!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th October 2016, 07:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Frankenstein (1931)

Frankenstein - a name synonymous with the horror genre for one reason - this film from Universal Studios, this film from nearly a century ago. Whole books have been written about this film, it's sequels and the Universal monster legacy as a whole, so influential are they not only on horror cinema but cinema in general.

Frankenstein is a seminal film which belies it's age with each repeat viewing. A macabre masterpiece which fixed the monstrous image of the creature into the publics consciousness where it remains today. Frankenstein is a fascinating if primitive work that launched it's director (James Whale) and star (Boris Karloff or ? if you read the opening cast list) on interesting and in Karloff's case highly successful paths, and even though based on German expressionist silent works it established the horror film as a viable genre for Hollywood.

The film was seen as shocking in it's day and still plays as a genuinely creepy experience. The idea of a man playing God as Colin Clive does with his 'It's alive' speech and the lakeside sequence with the little girl fell foul of censors for decades to come even though today it all seems rather tame.

The film belongs to Boris Karloff. He breathes life into a career best and definitive portrayal of an on screen monster being both terrifying and sympathetic, witness Frankenstein's servant Fritz (Dwight Frye) torturing the creature with flames and the touching moment where the creature reaches up to grasp a ray of sunlight. James Whale also contributes to the grand scheme of things with his innovative direction and sometimes wayward camera angles that create an at times tense and at others melancholic atmospheres of Gothic horror mixed with science.

Everyone on here who reads this should have seen the film, nay, everyone should own the film such is it's historical impact on cinema and the horror genre.

Old 13th October 2016, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Frankenstein (1931)

Frankenstein - a name synonymous with the horror genre for one reason - this film from Universal Studios, this film from nearly a century ago. Whole books have been written about this film, it's sequels and the Universal monster legacy as a whole, so influential are they not only on horror cinema but cinema in general.

Frankenstein is a seminal film which belies it's age with each repeat viewing. A macabre masterpiece which fixed the monstrous image of the creature into the publics consciousness where it remains today. Frankenstein is a fascinating if primitive work that launched it's director (James Whale) and star (Boris Karloff or ? if you read the opening cast list)on interesting and in Karloff's case highly successful paths, and even though based on German expressionist silent works it established the horror film as a viable genre for Hollywood.

The film was seen as shocking in it's day and still plays as a genuinely creepy experience. The idea of a man playing God as Colin Clive does with his 'It's alive' speech and the lakeside sequence with the little girl fell foul of censors for decades to come even though today it all seems rather tame.

The film belongs to Boris Karloff. He breathes life into a career best and definitive portrayal of an on screen monster being both terrifying and sympathetic, witness Frankenstein's servant Fritz (Dwight Frye) torturing the creature with flames and the touching moment where the creature reaching up to grasp a ray of sunlight. James Whale also contributes to the grand scheme of things with his innovative direction and sometimes wayward camera angles that create an at times tense and at others melancholic atmospheres of Gothic horror mixed with science.

Everyone on here who reads this should have seen the film, nay, everyone should own the film such is it's historical impact on cinema and the horror genre.

Think I'll start classic universal monster movies this weekend, might give Dracula a miss as for me its one of the weakest and like others never been keen on Lugosi Dracula give me Lee any day of the week over Lugosi
Old 13th October 2016, 07:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Prepare for a disappointing Halloween night!
My mate raved about V/H/S a couple of years back, and the idea seems cool, finding a big pile of VHS tapes as a portmanteau device. But you of course might be right and I end up chucking em in a pumpkin
Old 13th October 2016, 07:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
My mate raved about V/H/S a couple of years back, and the idea seems cool, finding a big pile of VHS tapes as a portmanteau device. But you of course might be right and I end up chucking em in a pumpkin
I totally agree with B_E on this one, Plato.

Like this? Share it using the links below!