All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2023, 07:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I really enjoyed this when it came out it's been a while since I last seen it must give it a rewatch after reading this.
Its not one i view a lot, but when i do its still enjoyable.
Old 16th October 2023, 07:47 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Crazies. 2010.

George Romero's 1973 film gets a re-vamp of a small town's water supply gets posioned and turns the inhabitants a bit loopy and start going homicidal on each other and those who haven't been infected.

The film wastes little time building up to the first outbreak of insanity and then chillingly portrays how the town's social fabric is obliterated at break neck speed. There is an abundance of scary moments, inventive gore, and even some very black humor. Some moments are so intensely suspenseful that time seems to practically stand still. All the cast play their parts well, including Timothy Olyphant as the town sheriff, Joe Anderson as his deputy, and Radha Mitchell as the town doctor.

The film is peppered with a number of suitably tense set-pieces, particularly one involving a pitchfork, a scene in a car wash and the ending with a bomb getting ready to be detonated while our two main leads try to bail out with the timer clocking down. This was a remake that was done right IMHO.

Attachment 248374
It's a remake that was worth doing because Romero's original is naff. I should probably give it a rewatch myself.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 16th October 2023, 08:17 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It's a remake that was worth doing because Romero's original is naff. I should probably give it a rewatch myself.

I watched Romero's original during the first lockdown and it really hit me different than any other time I seen it I went from liking it to loving it.
Old 16th October 2023, 08:40 AM
Cult Addict

Maybe it's worth a reappraisal. I only watched it the once donkeys ears ago and thought it was awful.

Old 16th October 2023, 02:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

WHAT LIES BELOW – If your mum’s new boyfriend invites you down into his red-lit cellar to view his lamprey collection, try not to menstruate in his boat. That might be the lesson in store for Liberty, bookish teenager (though played by relative croc Ema Horvath) at the heart of the fishy goings on in ‘What Lies Below’. We meet her on an outing to the family lakeside retreat, where mum’s new romantic acquisition will be unveiled; it’s hunky scientist John (Trey Tucker), who doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal that he wanders around with nothing on (and that he breeds lampreys). He’s a biologist investigating the dynamics of freshwater organisms, or so he says – there’s something about his general demeanour that sparks thoughts of ‘possible alien involved in fish breeding colonisation weirdness that ends badly for everyone present’, but I’ll let you find out for yourselves. What’s interesting about ‘What Lies Below’ is that its hackneyed set-up finds room for some genuinely strange and uncomfortable moments, most of them focussing on the grubby attraction between John and Liberty. An array of fairly creeped-out scenes dominates the movie’s mid-section and charts the progression of scientist guy’s freaky boundary-pushing behaviour, which ranges from a heckle-raising bathroom visitation to a scene on a boat where he basically ends up licking menstrual blood(!) The ending is a bit of a blur, a whirl of multicoloured fragments, fishy bits and lots of running around by a lake, but before then ‘What Lies Below’ stays its course with some evocative imagery such as John‘s immersion in waters that pulsate with an otherworldly radiance. I liked it; it seems to have attracted mostly mediocre or bad reviews, maybe because frankly it’s all a bit of a downer.
Old 16th October 2023, 03:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
WHAT LIES BELOW – If your mum’s new boyfriend invites you down into his red-lit cellar to view his lamprey collection, try not to menstruate in his boat. That might be the lesson in store for Liberty, bookish teenager (though played by relative croc Ema Horvath) at the heart of the fishy goings on in ‘What Lies Below’. We meet her on an outing to the family lakeside retreat, where mum’s new romantic acquisition will be unveiled; it’s hunky scientist John (Trey Tucker), who doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal that he wanders around with nothing on (and that he breeds lampreys). He’s a biologist investigating the dynamics of freshwater organisms, or so he says – there’s something about his general demeanour that sparks thoughts of ‘possible alien involved in fish breeding colonisation weirdness that ends badly for everyone present’, but I’ll let you find out for yourselves. What’s interesting about ‘What Lies Below’ is that its hackneyed set-up finds room for some genuinely strange and uncomfortable moments, most of them focussing on the grubby attraction between John and Liberty. An array of fairly creeped-out scenes dominates the movie’s mid-section and charts the progression of scientist guy’s freaky boundary-pushing behaviour, which ranges from a heckle-raising bathroom visitation to a scene on a boat where he basically ends up licking menstrual blood(!) The ending is a bit of a blur, a whirl of multicoloured fragments, fishy bits and lots of running around by a lake, but before then ‘What Lies Below’ stays its course with some evocative imagery such as John‘s immersion in waters that pulsate with an otherworldly radiance. I liked it; it seems to have attracted mostly mediocre or bad reviews, maybe because frankly it’s all a bit of a downer.
I like the sound of this. No UK release at all but there is a German Blu which is off interest.
Old 16th October 2023, 04:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I like the sound of this. No UK release at all but there is a German Blu which is off interest.
Streamed it on Prime. Not sure it's one I'd bother to buy, even though apparently I enjoyed it much more than most reviewers.
Old 16th October 2023, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another round up then ...

The Creeping Flesh (Freddie Francis)

What a horrible wee tale. Sibling rivalry and oneupmanship being the main concerns ahem. Hadn't seen this since a rather faded looking print on the Beeb. It looks somewhat clearer now. Will revisit this one shortly.

The Curse Of Frankenstein (Terence Fisher)

The cornerstone. What can I say here? As long as I don't say it's a remake cough cough ...
Cushing casually wiping blood onto his lapel (that'll never come out ) must have been quite the thing back in the day, seeing as most of it reminds me of if Gainsborough had made more colour flicks ahem. " ...pass the marmalade".

The Mummy (Terence Fisher)

This one always bored me rigid as a callow yoof. Silly Demon. It looks so lavish now. Sigh. White men plunder another culture to stave off their base desires for cricket and high tea
A cost is paid though ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th October 2023, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Last Voyage Of The Demeter. 2023.

A ship bound to London from Bulgaria with boxes of dirt and a small crew encounter something evil and sinister on board the 4 week jorney.

Taken from Dracula's novel charting the Captain's Log and why the boat arrived derelict and empty, most Dracula movies have never really shown the voyage except the 1992 version that has a small scene with Anthony Hopkins doing the voice over as Captain Eliot.

Liam Cunningham plays the old sea ferryman and planning on his retirement and hopefully of a peaceful journey but we know that will never happen. Completley set in, around and under the ship certainly draws in the no place is safe scenario. Javier Botet plays the Count and the makers look like they have used a darker tone of make up and re-created the same Max Schrek Nosferatu appearance, very nice homage. This was actually a decent entry into the Dracula tale and certainly best watched in the dark due to the tone of the film.

rOq1oGOIt4Tq284M44XD6jxSidz.jpg
Old 16th October 2023, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm glad that's good, I have it lined up for this weekend with my friend
MrBarlow likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!