Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2023, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blood (1973, Andy Milligan)

Strap in.
Hammer time!
A medical sort returns home after a time away. Finding that things haven't been properly managed, he makes the best of it as other matters press for his attention. Henry James or what?
AM does it again, throwing the kitchen sink in as the cherry on top, and if it tweren't for the intermittent print and sound damage, this one would have more fans ... with the niche that is the Andyverse harumph.
As you were.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th October 2023, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The eagle eyed among you may notice my last two reviews are a mere three minutes apart. I'm not that quick. I'd composed the black and white ones first then decided i should post my viewing as i actually watched them so copied it to a word document and came up with a few lines on H20 first.

Nah, just kidding. I'm a speed typist who can compose reviews 'just like that' as Tommy Cooper would say.

I wish.
Old 24th October 2023, 09:54 PM
Cult Master

30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 24

MV5BNjZmZjg2N2ItZGFkZC00N2MzLWEwYTQtZTY3M2VkNGQxZmFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4ODM5Nw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

After a championship game a small collage is holding an all night scavenger hunt where the collage radio station will be dropping hints randomly of where to go next. During the hunt a group of friends are stalked through the night by a killers dressed in the school mascots costume sporting a brand new pair of homemade claws. The only prize at the end of this scavenger hunt is staying alive.

I was keeping this since I bought it for this month but I had low expectations after not hearing much good things about it but I was pleasantly surprised. The characters are so loud and annoying at times but it's an innocent annoying not jocks and sluts the usual just slasher characters it's just people having a good time but loudly . I have to say there is a lot of homoeroticism in this film not sure if that was intentional but the male friends were a little too close even with the girlfriends standing there in front of them but then again everyone is trying to crack into everyone in this film so I'm not surprised

I actually really enjoyed Girls Nite Out it's just a fun film but unfortunately alot of the kills are in the dark so it can be hard to see but the make up is great and there is a ton of blood to satisfy the gore crowd. I really liked that for an 80s slasher it didn't go down the route of the usual characters nerd slut jock and bad boy just normal collage folk drinking and f**king.

I'll be coming back to this one for sure just not for the homoeroticism
Old 24th October 2023, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
30 Days of Unseen Horror

Day 24

Attachment 248495

After a championship game a small collage is holding an all night scavenger hunt where the collage radio station will be dropping hints randomly of where to go next. During the hunt a group of friends are stalked through the night by a killers dressed in the school mascots costume sporting a brand new pair of homemade claws. The only prize at the end of this scavenger hunt is staying alive.

I was keeping this since I bought it for this month but I had low expectations after not hearing much good things about it but I was pleasantly surprised. The characters are so loud and annoying at times but it's an innocent annoying not jocks and sluts the usual just slasher characters it's just people having a good time but loudly . I have to say there is a lot of homoeroticism in this film not sure if that was intentional but the male friends were a little too close even with the girlfriends standing there in front of them but then again everyone is trying to crack into everyone in this film so I'm not surprised

I actually really enjoyed Girls Nite Out it's just a fun film but unfortunately alot of the kills are in the dark so it can be hard to see but the make up is great and there is a ton of blood to satisfy the gore crowd. I really liked that for an 80s slasher it didn't go down the route of the usual characters nerd slut jock and bad boy just normal collage folk drinking and f**king.

I'll be coming back to this one for sure just not for the homoeroticism
Didn't you ask yourself at all "Why is this called Girls Nite Out?" There's barely any girls in it and they certainly don't go on a night out.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 24th October 2023, 10:09 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Didn't you ask yourself at all "Why is this called Girls Nite Out?" There's barely any girls in it and they certainly don't go on a night out.
It's a fairly misleading title alright no bleeding ankles and women walking around in their bare feet holding their high heels In their hands drowning their sorrows in a kebab at 3am and crying that they look fat and their new dress is covered in lettuce and chilli sauce.

Still a good film tho

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 24th October 2023 at 10:42 PM.
Old 25th October 2023, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Dolls

A group of people go to this isolated house in the middle of nowhere during a rainstorm but the elderly occupiers have a secret regarding the Dolls in their collection.

Released in 1986, before I watched the 101 Films Blu-Ray years ago, I feared that it wouldn't hold up in todays standards but I was wrong and remains at least a yearly watch. It's creepy, the FX is pretty decent and those Dolls certainly look the part.

Probably one of the more underrated Horror Movies out there.

From Beyond

Jeffrey Combs is an Assistant to a Mad Scientist who his locked in a Mental Hospital after he's accused of murdering him. A Psychologist played by Barbara Crampton wants to re-create the experiment that they were working on but it doesn't go the way, she'd hoped.

Again a Film that still holds up, very good FX and looks good on Blu-Ray. Ken Foree co-stars and Crampton looks hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (13.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fb.jpg (12.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th October 2023, 03:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE CALL – I sometimes wonder whether the eighties are so popular as a genre throwback option just because you can do a movie without mobile phones in it. A friend once observed that mobiles ruin almost everything in horror, and it’s sort of true – since the late nineties, when mobiles turned everyone into their own personal distress beacon, there has to be a reason why this or that person trapped in this cellar or that attic wouldn’t just pick up and alert the authorities. ‘The Call’, not to be confused with the very good Korean film of the same name and year of release, not only relies on the absence of mobiles, but the presence of landlines. There’ve been a few ‘landline’ horror movies recently, including the aforementioned other ‘The Call’, and they make for a strange little subgenre that for all I know might be a natural follow-on from the never-ending eighties fixation, but anyway. ‘The Call’ is set in that solidly eighties year 1987 and tells of a quartet of small-town teens who rile a local witch to the point of suicide, then reap the resulting whirlwind when they enter into a pact to ring her spirit from a spooky phone (her coffin has been installed with a landline. I’m not kidding). It’s an awkward movie. It reminds me of a film I reviewed near the start of this Halloween countdown, ‘The Asylum’, in that it looks well-made but is poorly structured. There’s something about the rhythm that’s off, the unfolding isn’t smooth enough and feels a bit jarring, too long spent here, too little there, notes fall flat and sometimes grate. Narratively, there are some poorly thought-through moves, with many instances of major plot points set up as mysteries that are either left open or wrapped up in scenes that are so throwaway as to verge on ludicrous. Despite all the slack, several things about it really work. Most of the film takes place in a strangely lensed, weirdly lit phantasmagorical dream world (which I think later turns out to be hell, wasn’t quite sure) where the four teens are forced to confront the darkness that lurks in their respective pasts, and some of that stuff’s surprisingly meanspirited for a film that initially looked no less lightweight than the early noughties fluff it seems to want to emulate. This mixture of nastiness and over the top eye candy warmed me to ‘The Call’, which also boasts a couple of nice turns from genre regulars Tobin Bell and Lin Shaye, the latter in particular giving a performance that at times seems out of keeping with the surrounding material in its intensity – she definitely wasn’t phoning that one in. Overall, ‘The Call’ is not what I’d call a good film, but it offers enough off-key schlock and moments of strange connection to pique my interest at least, and I guess I can say that its failures frustrate rather than bore.
Old 25th October 2023, 04:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I hope you aren't disappointed, Nos. Have you seen either previously?

The second film is a huge step up from the first.

If you weren't aware the character of Art the Clown was first seen in an anthology film called All Hallows Eve which is very low budget but fun and has a great central performance from an unknown actress called Katie Maguire as a babysitter.
I have seen the first one and have it on DVD. I was surprised at the brutality of the attack sequences with some really gruesome gore effects.

I haven't seen All Hallows Eve, so will keep it in mind to buy a copy in time for next year's Halloween viewing.
Old 25th October 2023, 05:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I have seen the first one and have it on DVD. I was surprised at the brutality of the attack sequences with some really gruesome gore effects.
You ain't seen nothing yet.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 25th October 2023, 06:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 24th

Happy Birthday to Me (1981)

A major Hollywood studio in Paramount, a major Hollywood star in Glenn Ford and a name Hollywood director in J Lee Thompson and the result is this well made but average at best slasher film.

The plot revolves around teens at a high school who are murdered one by one, albeit in several clever and bloody ways, and it seems obvious who the killer is... or does it?

An absurdly bewildering plot revelation of a finale turns the whole thing on it's head in the craziest Giallo-esq way which doesn't really satisfy following a near two hour slog to get to it.

I also watched The Devil's Rejects (2005). A film i've seen and reviewed on here many times so won't do so again other than to say it's a piece of celluloid that's populated by hateful characters who do despicable things yet somehow by the final third you really root for them and care. At least i do anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1404 (Large).JPG (47.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1410 (Large).jpg (91.0 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!