Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Best Of British Horror Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/1480-best-british-horror-thread.html)

BioZombie 12th July 2009 01:38 AM

Two of my favourite british horrors are The Satanic Rites of Dracula and Deathline (I used to travel past the tube station where the mutants lived everyday while going to work and would quite often look out for the secret turnnels they hid in, unfortunatly with no luck :( ).

Also have a big soft spot for Quatermass and the Pit

Almar@Cult Labs 12th July 2009 10:34 AM

Which station did they film Deathline in again? Quatermass and the Pit is so creepy - for atmosphere you can't beat it and I'm glad the likes of Doctor Who is back but that never exudes the creepiness that British productions were so good for.

BioZombie 12th July 2009 10:58 AM

Its set around Russle Square and Holburn although the Mutants actually live on a fictional uncompleted line at a non existant statin called Museum.

Oh and aparantly some of it was filmed at Aldwych

Almar@Cult Labs 12th July 2009 11:23 AM

Ah I thought it might be Russell Square but got confused with An American Werewolf in London

vincenzo 12th July 2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 33594)
Ah I thought it might be Russell Square but got confused with An American Werewolf in London

American Werewolf was Tottenham Court Road station.

"I can assure you that this isn't in the least bit amusing. I shall report this!". :D

Kyle 12th July 2009 06:55 PM

does anybody on here consider hellraiser to be a English film?

Peter Neal 13th July 2009 03:14 PM

"The Wicker Man" for me, not the least because it reminds me of the joy of stumbling over films you've only read about before..as "The Wicker Man" has been a rather obscure title outside the UK until the not exactly loved & cherished US remake:p:jest:
Beautiful shot one-of-a-kind movie experience with one of THE most haunting finales ever. What more could I possibly need?:popcorn:

Of the recent Brit horrors, "Eden Lake" and "The Children" are certainly in battle over the top position.:o

vincenzo 13th July 2009 03:27 PM

It seems to divide people but I quite enjoyed The Descent.

Peter Neal 13th July 2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 33722)

Well, as for the "dividing" part, that seems to be the common fandom phenomenon with "new horror"....:p:rolleyes:

I've only watched it once so far and thought it was pretty good at the time.:)

I really have to revisit this before the sequel arrives.:o

Daemonia 13th July 2009 04:10 PM

Mum and Dad and The Children are both (IMO) good examples of recent Brit horror. We Brits still have it in us to make decent, shocking horror movies. The Cottage wasn't half bad either.

And yes, in answer to a poster above, I do consider Hellraiser to be pretty much British, in spite of American redubs.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th July 2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 33722)

A class act V.Very atmospheric and claustrophobic.:cool:

Kyle 13th July 2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 33724)
Mum and Dad and The Children are both (IMO) good examples of recent Brit horror. We Brits still have it in us to make decent, shocking horror movies. The Cottage wasn't half bad either.

And yes, in answer to a poster above, I do consider Hellraiser to be pretty much British, in spite of American redubs.

yeah i do too, i loved mum and dad, the children and eden lake

Make Them Die Slowly 13th July 2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 33784)
yeah i do too, i loved mum and dad, the children and eden lake

I thought "Eden Lake" was pure rubbish,I'm more of a fan of '50s juvenile delinquent films which I thought "Eden Lake" was a modern spin on-grab a headline and make a film out of it.

"Mum and Dad" was good fun and "The Children" was really impressive.

Kyle 13th July 2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 33785)
I thought "Eden Lake" was pure rubbish,I'm more of a fan of '50s juvenile delinquent films which I thought "Eden Lake" was a modern spin on-grab a headline and make a film out of it.

"Mum and Dad" was good fun and "The Children" was really impressive.

the only thing i didnt like about eden lake was the woman , she was so thick apart from that i loved it

Make Them Die Slowly 13th July 2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 33786)
the only thing i didnt like about eden lake was the woman , she was so thick apart from that i loved it

One thought I had whilst watching it was why is she wearing a low cut dress for camping.

I also thought it could be seen as a British take on all the recent hillbilly/mutant/redneck flicks that have been everywhere post TCM remake and "Wrong Turn".

Kyle 14th July 2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 33787)
One thought I had whilst watching it was why is she wearing a low cut dress for camping.

I also thought it could be seen as a British take on all the recent hillbilly/mutant/redneck flicks that have been everywhere post TCM remake and "Wrong Turn".

yeah but with chavs instead of rednecks :D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th July 2009 07:04 PM

Eden Lake was excellent IMO.
A sad reflection of the scum that roams Britain's streets today.:mad:

kathyacker 20th July 2009 05:13 PM

wot, no 'vampire circus'?

i voted for 'the wicker man', but VC is my second favourite. i think its maybe the most surreal, erotic, and artistically ambitious hammer film, and certainly the most underrated.

mark meakin 20th July 2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyacker (Post 34780)
wot, no 'vampire circus'?

i voted for 'the wicker man', but VC is my second favourite. i think its maybe the most surreal, erotic, and artistically ambitious hammer film, and certainly the most underrated.

"One lust feeds the other !":laugh:
Joking aside,it's certainly one of Hammers best.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th July 2009 10:17 PM

There's a lot not there on the poll.Unfortunately the number of options at the time were limited.:pout:

Vampix 21st July 2009 11:49 AM

One of my favourite Brit horrors is Hammer's Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, I just love the overall atmosphere in this movie.And, of course, Peter Cushing is in fine form, if even more gaunt looking than usual.The only thing that lets the movie down imo is the monster suit that poor old Dave Prowse has to wear.

mark meakin 21st July 2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 34893)
One of my favourite Brit horrors is Hammer's Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, I just love the overall atmosphere in this movie.And, of course, Peter Cushing is in fine form, if even more gaunt looking than usual.The only thing that lets the movie down imo is the monster suit that poor old Dave Prowse has to wear.

Good film but I think Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is Cushings finest as the Baron.Wonderfully ruthless in this one.

vincenzo 21st July 2009 03:24 PM

Definitely, Mark. The rape scene comes right out of the blue and is still nasty today.

kathyacker 21st July 2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 34817)
There's a lot not there on the poll.Unfortunately the number of options at the time were limited.:pout:

ha, thats ok. as far as hammervampiresexploitation goes, you make up for it by NOT including 'lust for a vampire'...

and VC is bizarrely ignored by almost everyone... its like the apotheosis of everything hammer were trying to do in that period... its only drawback being that this also applies to the intensely-annoying-male-protagonist thing they had going then - this one being maybe even worse than the guy in 'scars of dracula'... and at least he got skewered....

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyacker (Post 34926)
ha, thats ok. as far as hammervampiresexploitation goes, you make up for it by NOT including 'lust for a vampire'...

and VC is bizarrely ignored by almost everyone... its like the apotheosis of everything hammer were trying to do in that period... its only drawback being that this also applies to the intensely-annoying-male-protagonist thing they had going then - this one being maybe even worse than the guy in 'scars of dracula'... and at least he got skewered....

Now that "Lust for a Vampire" has been mentioned I've got that stupid bloody song "Strange Love" in my head.

kathyacker 21st July 2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 34927)
Now that "Lust for a Vampire" has been mentioned I've got that stupid bloody song "Strange Love" in my head.

at least for the duration of that scene the film is bad-in-a-good-way, rather than just flat out bad!

actually, thnking of misogyny in horror, LFAV and 'scars of dracula' are maybe the worst 2 hammers i've seen, and both are ruined by irritating male leads straight out of a 'confessions...' film. sign o the times back then i guess, replacing the 'old-fashioned' cushing-type leads with 'cheeky chappies' for the male audience to identify with, who actually came across as arrogant smug 1970s england creeps that totally offset hammer's dark gothic tone. rant over :blush:

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyacker (Post 34932)
at least for the duration of that scene the film is bad-in-a-good-way, rather than just flat out bad!

actually, thnking of misogyny in horror, LFAV and 'scars of dracula' are maybe the worst 2 hammers i've seen, and both are ruined by irritating male leads straight out of a 'confessions...' film. sign o the times back then i guess, replacing the 'old-fashioned' cushing-type leads with 'cheeky chappies' for the male audience to identify with, who actually came across as arrogant smug 1970s england creeps that totally offset hammer's dark gothic tone. rant over :blush:

Hammer did "Countess Dracula" the same year as LFAV and SOD(!).Post 1960s horror films became more youth orientated for better or worse.The excellent "Blood on Satan's Claw" being a good example of how to get it right.

BioZombie 21st July 2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly
The excellent "Blood on Satan's Claw" being a good example of how to get it right.

I was scanning this post and read it as Blood on Santa's Claw :pound:

vincenzo 21st July 2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 34987)
I was scanning this post and read it as Blood on Santa's Claw :pound:

Santa's Claw or Santa Claws? :laugh:

BioZombie 21st July 2009 10:16 PM

is their a film called Santa Claws?? It would make a great horror if there isnt.

vincenzo 21st July 2009 10:19 PM

There certainly is. :madgrin:

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 34991)
is their a film called Santa Claws?? It would make a great horror if there isnt.

Made in 1996 by John A Russo of NOTLD fame.

BioZombie 21st July 2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo
Guess what. There is.

Thought it was too obvious to not have been done. I'll have to stick to writing Grannibal, my zombie epic about the OAP dead.

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 34994)
Thought it was too obvious to not have been done. I'll have to stick to writing Grannibal, my zombie epic about the OAP dead.

How will they bite you with no teeth?

vincenzo 21st July 2009 10:38 PM

They'll gum you to death. :scared:

Make Them Die Slowly 21st July 2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 34999)

That's triggered repressed memories of a family Xmas party many years ago when my Nan's very drunk friend tried to snog me!I can't find a smilie to express my horror.My girlfriend at the time who was standing next to me was rather shocked too!

TALL DUDE 22nd July 2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 34999)

See how its done in sam rami's drag me to hell!!:shocked:

vincenzo 22nd July 2009 10:23 AM

Gums Of The Pensioner sounds like a great title. :laugh:

MadameSo 1st October 2009 09:17 PM

A friend of mine worked in the bar at a in Lincoln when Judi Geeson ordered a drink, we'd only seen Inseminoid a month earlier so she mentioned it, she said that JG made a vomiting noise but didn't add much after that. Hmmm.
I'm afraid I had to go with the crowd and vote the Wicker way.

vincenzo 1st October 2009 10:51 PM

Judy G was one of my pin-ups in days of yore, and To Sir With Love is still my all-time favourite film. She runs an antique store now in Los Angeles.