Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2013, 11:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I watched ZFE recently and noticed a few seconds missing from the opening shot, anyone else noticed this......hang on, haven't we already covered this

I prefer ZFE to Manchester Morgue, but only just mind as they're both fine examples of Euro zombie films. I think one of the reason why I like ZFE so much is because it was my introduction to Italian Horror 20 odd years ago via the cut Vipco VHS(one of my few remaining VHS's) and had to wait almost 10 years before seeing it fully uncut courtesy of Italian Shock after having read about it countless times in The Dark Side and their Zombie book plus other genre publications. When I did finally get to see the infamous "splinter scene" I was shocked that it had been cut in the UK because it's so blatantly fake part!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th January 2013, 11:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
...Manchester Morgue is inordinately better than Zombi 2 in my book.
I won't be reading that one.

It does have the lovely Cristina Galbó though.
Old 9th January 2013, 11:31 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched ZFE recently and noticed a few seconds missing from the opening shot, anyone else noticed this......hang on, haven't we already covered this

I prefer ZFE to Manchester Morgue, but only just mind as they're both fine examples of Euro zombie films. I think one of the reason why I like ZFE so much is because it was my introduction to Italian Horror 20 odd years ago via the cut Vipco VHS(one of my few remaining VHS's) and had to wait almost 10 years before seeing it fully uncut courtesy of Italian Shock after having read about it countless times in The Dark Side and their Zombie book plus other genre publications. When I did finally get to see the infamous "splinter scene" I was shocked that it had been cut in the UK because it's so blatantly fake part!
I too grew up seeing the cut versions of this and Evil Dead and agree with arguments against censorship that say that the censored versions of the eyeball, throat-rip, and ankle-gouge from ED are more disturbing than the intended, OTT and fake rubbery versions because they retain the initial shock before the gore slips into excess. Interesting! I'd still take the gore, fake or not though . . .
Old 9th January 2013, 11:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGunnar Hansen View Post
I too grew up seeing the cut versions of this and Evil Dead and agree with arguments against censorship that say that the censored versions of the eyeball, throat-rip, and ankle-gouge from ED are more disturbing than the intended, OTT and fake rubbery versions because they retain the initial shock before the gore slips into excess. Interesting! I'd still take the gore, fake or not though . . .
Me too, I have a cut version of Evil Dead on VHS from the early 90's and until Anchor Bay released it uncut in 2000, I hadn't seen the full version, I now have it uncut on VHS, plus the Book of the Dead edition and in the Evil Dead Trilogy boxset from AB and just recently the BD steelbook, which I watched for the first time last night along with Army of Darkness.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th January 2013, 11:44 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
...Manchester Morgue is inordinately better than Zombi 2 in my book.
And much better than Dawn of the Dead too, in mine!
Mojo and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
We must read similar books.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I think you're both insane, Dawn of the Dead is miles better than ZFE, for one reason alone-Tom Savini's mustache comb!
platostotal likes this.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I agree Rik, Dawn is better than Zombie 2 and Living dead
at the Manchester morgue.
Rik likes this.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It's certainly a dashed close call indeed.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dawn is easily my favourite of the 3, I watch it at least once a month, just slightly more often than ZFE and definitely more often than Manchester Morgue. All three are fantastic zombie films though, and all have great Blu Ray editions out there (forgetting the mistake on Arrows ZFE, it's still the best we'll get for a long time)

Like this? Share it using the links below!