LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012, 08:24 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Lots of great films and recommendations on this thread, and it reminds me that I've fallen well behind on my BFI Flipsides lately... I really enjoyed Herostratus from 1967 - fantastic visuals, inspired doses of weirdness, and one of the most beautiful actresses I've seen in many a while... Less esoteric, but also worthwhile, 1961's Day the Earth Caught Fire is one of the best films Hammer should have made, as Val Guest sets the controls for the heart of the sun. Great dialogue, fine performances, and beautifully photographed in b/w 'scope, this is essential viewing for fans of intelligent adult sci-fi. There's a good DVD courstesy of Network...

Yep another intelligent piece of Brit Sci Fi.
You notice that?
British Sci-fi of the 50's 60's and 70's are almost always FAR more serious than their U.S. counterparts?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 14th June 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 14th June 2012, 08:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
You notice that? British Sci-fi of the 50's 60's and 70's are almost always FAR more serious than their U.S. counterparts?
Absolutely, and no disrespect to the films of Ray Harryhausen - which are all great, but just take the Quatermass Trilogy which have enough ideas to fill a dozen movies...
Old 14th June 2012, 08:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Exactly.
Even the likes of NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT,ISLAND OF TERROR,THE TROLLENBERG TERROR and DOOMWATCH with their,quite frankly ridiculous creatures took thing very seriously.

Other class Brit Sci Fi includes;

THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING
X THE UNKNOWN
THE FOUR SIDED TRIANGLE
XTRO

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Exactly.
Even the likes of NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT,ISLAND OF TERROR,THE TROLLENBERG TERROR and DOOMWATCH with their,quite frankly ridiculous creatures took thing very seriously.

Other class Brit Sci Fi includes;

THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING
X THE UNKNOWN
THE FOUR SIDED TRIANGLE
XTRO
The Earth Dies Screaming is such and amazing film, will have to be on the lookout for the others.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched 'The Divide' which reminded me that one flick that hasn't been mentioned here is the Sheffield based pre and post nukefest THREADS. Am I alone in thinking that this is one of the most soul curdlingly depressing films of all time? Maybe it's just me, but I find it almost numbingly intense. Actually, I don't think I'm being subjective about it as I remember showing it to a friend and, well, we just couldn't speak for about an hour afterwards! Nothing like your standard disaster / sci-fi / melodrama - just rubs your face in the overwhelming human tragedy wrought by war.
It could really do with a BFI style makeover. I certainly hope someday it gets a better transfer than the one currently available, which I recall as not being that great. The BBC should stop messing about and do their archive justice.
Gojirosan and Demoncrat like this.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THREADS. Am I alone in thinking that this is one of the most soul curdlingly depressing films of all time?
Nope.

A true horror film.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Nope.

A true horror film.
It seems an odd thing for me to say of a film by the guy who did 'Kes', but I kind of feel it belongs with the likes of 'Salo' and 'In a Glass Cage' in the sense that it takes you someplace where there can only be the most pungent sorrow and suffering.
Thank god for 'It's only a movie' and gimme a copy of Xtro!
Old 14th June 2012, 10:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Just watched 'The Divide' which reminded me that one flick that hasn't been mentioned here is the Sheffield based pre and post nukefest THREADS. Am I alone in thinking that this is one of the most soul curdlingly depressing films of all time? Maybe it's just me, but I find it almost numbingly intense. Actually, I don't think I'm being subjective about it as I remember showing it to a friend and, well, we just couldn't speak for about an hour afterwards! Nothing like your standard disaster / sci-fi / melodrama - just rubs your face in the overwhelming human tragedy wrought by war.
It could really do with a BFI style makeover. I certainly hope someday it gets a better transfer than the one currently available, which I recall as not being that great. The BBC should stop messing about and do their archive justice.
Love Threads. Found that when I was watching it I was just trying to spot places I know as it was filmed near me.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
It seems an odd thing for me to say of a film by the guy who did 'Kes', but I kind of feel it belongs with the likes of 'Salo' and 'In a Glass Cage' in the sense that it takes you someplace where there can only be the most pungent sorrow and suffering.
It's an even odder thing to say of a film directed by the guy who made The Bodyguard!
Old 14th June 2012, 10:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Love Threads. Found that when I was watching it I was just trying to spot places I know as it was filmed near me.
One of my friends was going to base a performance / environment / concept-art piece on the notion of a 'Threads' location tour of Sheffield until he found out that a 'real' version actually existed! I mean, what a draw for the tourists!

Like this? Share it using the links below!