Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:49 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Over the years I have seen literally hundreds of horror movies. And there's been more than the odd strange one. Eraserhead is one that instantly springs to mind. I've never liked it, but it's undeniably nightmarish and head f*cking.

But, probably, the strangest horror film I've ever seen is Hellraiser. That might seem an odd choice - but it's one of the first films to add sado-masochism into the mix. I saw this first in the cinema circa 1987 and it blew me away. A film that had an actual real philosophy. Pain can be pleasure. Heaven is hell. It was just so subversive at the time, I was like....wow.

So there you have it.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I liked BEGOTTEN but felt SUBCONSCIOUS CRUELTY tried too hard at it's weirdness. Anyone like ICE FROM THE SUN

Oh yeah, I forgot about ICE FROM THE SUN too. I've only ever seen it once, and have a vague but slightly bad memory of watching it in an appropriately freezing room, trying to get drunk but somehow not being able to, getting bored and annoyed then eventually coming down with a fever. Had a similar experience with VISIONS OF SUFFERING.
Old 4th October 2012, 01:58 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Ice from the Sun. Yeah, admittedly that was real weird. Director's a nice bloke though.
Old 4th October 2012, 03:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

A few that I haven't seen mentioned are the obvious Hausu, Death Bed: The Bed That Eats and Mystics In Bali.
Old 4th October 2012, 06:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Anyone like ICE FROM THE SUN
Dude, the last time we spoke about that on these pages I rushed out and picked it up...but I haven't watched it yet !
Old 4th October 2012, 07:21 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about ICE FROM THE SUN too. I've only ever seen it once, and have a vague but slightly bad memory of watching it in an appropriately freezing room, trying to get drunk but somehow not being able to, getting bored and annoyed then eventually coming down with a fever. Had a similar experience with VISIONS OF SUFFERING.
That's a whole new thread: strange and extreme viewing circumstances/environments.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post
A few that I haven't seen mentioned are the obvious Hausu, Death Bed: The Bed That Eats and Mystics In Bali.
Yeah, of course, House and Death Bed - great choices. Death Bed soundtrack has that great eerie tune by Steve Thrower's Cyclobe, Each And Every Word Must Die...
Old 4th October 2012, 10:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Reading back over this thread, I'm reminded of how excited I was when I picked up Thundercrack in Amsterdam many years ago. Watched it and sold it immediately. Yeah, it's different, but man it grates. An acquired taste for sure.
Old 4th October 2012, 01:23 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Ice from the Sun. Yeah, admittedly that was real weird. Director's a nice bloke though.
i thought IFTS was a damn weird film
didn't understand it really
very experimental
but yeah Eric Stanze is a nice bloke but hes made much better films
Old 4th October 2012, 01:39 PM
Cultist

umm.... if feeling Tokyo Gore Police and Versus as some pretty weird screwed up films.

But Tokyo Gore Police........dont think ive ever said wtf as many times as watching that.

Maybe not so much a horror movie but still some f**ked up s**t
Susan Foreman likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!