Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I think Dem did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, he did

I shan't be buying any more 88 releases from now on.
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs and Rik like this.
Old 23rd September 2014, 02:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Well just finished first part of storm of the century and had to restrain myself from watching it all. Up next wilow creek or the mangler

Edit

Willow creek

Was actually enjoying this up till about the last third of the film. It starts of as documentary being made on the Bigfoot legend by a man and his girlfriend. The first two thirds is done more or less as a documentary with them interviewing people etc as they go off into the woods to look for Bigfoot. Then when they set up camp for the night we have about 20minutes of them stuck in tent listening to noises outside etc, but it's not scary in the slightest. Those 20minutes felt a lot longer. Things pick up once dawn breaks but like a lot of these lost footage/ documentary films it's not scary. But unlike most the acting is ok and characters are likable. not great but worth a watch if you can get it cheap. 6/10
This is the Bobcat Goldthwaite film, yes? Isn't it a spoof then??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd September 2014, 03:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Gone mainstream and big budget this week:
X-Men First Class (2011)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
X-Men (2000)
X-Men 2 (2003)
X-Men The Last Stand (2006) This I think is the best picture in the entire franchise.
The Wolverine (2013)
X-Men Days of Future Past (2014)
Transformers (2007)
Old 23rd September 2014, 05:19 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Gone mainstream and big budget this week:
X-Men First Class (2011)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
X-Men (2000)
X-Men 2 (2003)
X-Men The Last Stand (2006) This I think is the best picture in the entire franchise.
The Wolverine (2013)
X-Men Days of Future Past (2014)
Transformers (2007)
Very brave. Balls of steel watching that lot.
Old 23rd September 2014, 05:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
Very brave. Balls of steel watching that lot.
None too sure what you mean't by that?
Old 23rd September 2014, 05:50 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
This is the Bobcat Goldthwaite film, yes? Isn't it a spoof then??
Too Late for Tears - well I've encountered some real nasty women during my year of noir binging but Lizabeth Scott in TLFT is by far the worst. Her unforgettable face - a snapshot of where beautiful meets ugly - literally contorts and twists with greed as this movie progresses. It's an amazing portrayal - she even makes you feel sorry for Dan Dureya, no mean feat. This plays like a surreal morality play, only without the morals part - everyone bar the poor schmo hubbie and his sister are degrees of awful. A wildly melodramatic ending for Ms Scott and a nice twist round it off nicely. Shame about the Alpha video print - it's horrendous. Rumours of a restoration on imbd - I really hope so.

The File on Thelma Jordan - all hail Barbara Stanwyck, amazing as ever as the titular Ms Jordan - is she really rotten? You'll be guessing till the penultimate, barking mad scene. Today Stanwyck wouldn't get through a casting call - sorry Love, you'll need a nose job, a boob job and you don't look like you could carry off an action scene. This, in a nutshell, is why I hate current Hollywood tripe - no real distinctive characters or indeed, actors. Anyway rant over - this isn't as good as Martha Ivers but is still a solid 7/10
Old 23rd September 2014, 06:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Demons of Ludlow (1983)

Bill Rebane's The Demons of Ludlow charts the revenge of a murderous Demon who inhabits a piano which has been brought out of storage by the townspeople of Ludlow in order to celebrate their bicentenary.

Immediately, the film brought to mind Carpenter's The Fog, what with the idyllic, isolated village community and its curse - that is fulfilled in this case when the piano is played.

However, unlike The Fog it is pretty much devoid of atmosphere and suspense. Rebane even ignores taking advantage of the beautiful local scenery to get some great location shots, and instead opts for plenty of overlong indoor scenes.

Whilst the film is fairly competently made and the re-occurring 'demon hand' effect is a nice touch, the overlong, predictable and sometimes dull bulk of the film takes its toll on the overall viewing experience. You can't help but feel that the film in a trimmed down form may have worked better as a anthology segment or that with a few minor tweaks could have been quite a bit better than it is.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

TWINS OF EVIL
Easily one the best of Hammer's latter day output and one of my favourites per se.
With Peter Cushing in top form ( is he ever not? ) this best of the Karnstein trilogy also uses the twins as a proper plot device rather than just a novelty.
It all ends up in a surprisingly gory climax.
This is another terrific looking Blu ray from Network.

INSIDIOUS 2
There aren't many modern horrors that do it for me, but I loved the original INSIDIOUS. Sadly, this sequel was a real let down. The superb scares and hugely creepy atmosphere in the first one simply weren't there this time. A disappointment.
Old 23rd September 2014, 07:52 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
None too sure what you mean't by that?
Sorry that was a none too subtle way of saying I'd need money to sit through those lot. Never mind all in one week.
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Demons of Ludlow (1983)

Bill Rebane's The Demons of Ludlow charts the revenge of a murderous Demon who inhabits a piano which has been brought out of storage by the townspeople of Ludlow in order to celebrate their bicentenary.

Immediately, the film brought to mind Carpenter's The Fog, what with the idyllic, isolated village community and its curse - that is fulfilled in this case when the piano is played.

However, unlike The Fog it is pretty much devoid of atmosphere and suspense. Rebane even ignores taking advantage of the beautiful local scenery to get some great location shots, and instead opts for plenty of overlong indoor scenes.

Whilst the film is fairly competently made and the re-occurring 'demon hand' effect is a nice touch, the overlong, predictable and sometimes dull bulk of the film takes its toll on the overall viewing experience. You can't help but feel that the film in a trimmed down form may have worked better as a anthology segment or that with a few minor tweaks could have been quite a bit better than it is.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Aww, shame you didn't go for this one. Maybe it's just me, but I have an inexplicable liking for DOL (on second thoughts, no, it really IS just me). I do feel it has some atmosphere and that cockeyed, disjointed quality that can raise some seventies / eighties dregs up a notch or two... and there are a couple of moments which seem quite perverse. Was hoping you might track down Rebane's 'The Cold' (aka 'The Game') as part of your Nightmare USA blitz, 'cos I've never seen it and I can't find it anywhere, not even on Y-Tube.

Like this? Share it using the links below!