All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2015, 09:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Ten reasons why The Thing is the best film ever made. • The 80s Movie Club

Gotta agree, even though I've seen it plenty of times (I watch it at least twice annually), I still have no idea who is the Thing throughout the film!
antmumford, Nordicdusk and VeZius like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th March 2015, 09:34 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Ten reasons why The Thing is the best film ever made. • The 80s Movie Club

Gotta agree, even though I've seen it plenty of times (I watch it at least twice annually), I still have no idea who is the Thing throughout the film!
Great article I agree with all points. Gonna have to give it a watch now after reading that's it's been atleast 2 months since I last watched
Old 9th March 2015, 09:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Great article I agree with all points. Gonna have to give it a watch now after reading that's it's been atleast 2 months since I last watched
I was thinking the same, gonna watch it after I get home from work tonight
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th March 2015, 10:55 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I almost stopped reading after the line which said it 'even spawned a fairly credible follow up.'

Said follow up is an abysmal CGI mess. It's horrible.
Old 9th March 2015, 10:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I almost stopped reading after the line which said it 'even spawned a fairly credible follow up.'

Said follow up is an abysmal CGI mess. It's horrible.
Yeah, as much as I didn't mind that film (I won it in a comp on FB I think), that is the only bit of the article that I don't agree with
Old 9th March 2015, 11:20 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, as much as I didn't mind that film (I won it in a comp on FB I think), that is the only bit of the article that I don't agree with
To me the beauty of The Thing (Both this and the Hawks version) is the claustrophobia, the small scale of it all, yet it felt huge. The remake/ prequel Thing almost did it but then subjected us to massive CGI monstrosities and the film got worse the longer it went on.

As for John Carpenter. It's a crying shame he's only directed two films this century no matter what you may think of them.

Personally i love Ghosts of Mars. Yes, it's basically a retread of Assault on Precinct 13 but it's still a fine sci-fi / horror / action movie.

I still haven't seen The Ward (i really must rectify this as it's the only one of his i haven't seen).

If Clint Eastwood can direct the biggest money spinner of his career at age 84 (American Sniper) then surely a great genre film maker like John Carpenter can do the same given the right material at 67.
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 9th March 2015, 11:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
As for John Carpenter. It's a crying shame he's only directed two films this century no matter what you may think of them.

Personally i love Ghosts of Mars. Yes, it's basically a retread of Assault on Precinct 13 but it's still a fine sci-fi / horror / action movie.

I still haven't seen The Ward (i really must rectify this as it's the only one of his i haven't seen).

If Clint Eastwood can direct the biggest money spinner of his career at age 84 (American Sniper) then surely a great genre film maker like John Carpenter can surely do the same given the right material at 67.
Yeah, I agree

I haven't seen The Ward yet either, but I did enjoy Ghosts of Mars when I caught it on TV years ago
Old 9th March 2015, 11:28 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Even if Carpenter just did a gun for hire directorial job which pulled a decent profit rather than the whole 'John Carpenter's....' he might then get the financial backing to make what he wanted to do.
Rik likes this.
Old 9th March 2015, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Even if Carpenter just did a gun for hire directorial job which pulled a decent profit rather than the whole 'John Carpenter's....' he might then get the financial backing to make what he wanted to do.
Which is obviously a sequel to Big Trouble in Little China!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th March 2015, 11:35 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

**** it! I've just ordered The Ward for a couple of quid delivered.
Rik and profondo rosso like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!