Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   The Dario Argento Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/692-dario-argento-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th September 2009 09:02 PM

His latest,GIALLO,ain't faring too well with the critics.Amidst reports of the film being taken from Argento and re-edited at the behest of the moneymen,it don't look too promising.But then again,it couldn't be as bad as The Stendhal Syndrome.......:yawn:;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th September 2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 40957)
Cheers for the input B.E.
Me personally, La Terza Madre was not anywhere near the class of Suspiria (Few films are) or Inferno (Which in turn imho wasn't a patch on Suspiria),but however,definetly wasn't the washout a LOT of punters made it out to be.:nod:

I agree with you on Inferno reaps. Good, but not nearly as good as Suspiria.

I'm now waiting to see how Giallo stacks up against the other Argento wares... reading iluv's blog entry - not very highly! :ack: :pound:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th September 2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 40958)
His latest,GIALLO,ain't faring too well with the critics.Amidst reports of the film being taken from Argento and re-edited at the behest of the moneymen,it don't look too promising.But then again,it couldn't be as bad as The Stendhal Syndrome.......:yawn:;)

Psychic. ;) You took the words right out of my mouth mate! :pound:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th September 2009 10:21 PM

When will some movie mogul give this artistic genius free reigns?
He ain't getting any younger you know......

DeadAlive 9th September 2009 07:45 AM

I hadn't seen "Mother Of Tears " when the debate was going on. Now I have I can only agree with the general feeling that it is the lesser of the three....... by a long distance too. :yawn:

mbv 9th September 2009 10:10 AM

I had been steering clear of Argento's new films due to a lot of negative feedback but I picked up MOT cheap enough.
It was ok but I was amazed at how lazy it seemed compared to his older stuff. Script was really terrible.Almost felt like George Lucas had a hand in writing it.:laugh:
Some nice gore though redeemed it for me, I would rate it maybe a 5/10.
Suspiria is a 10/10 for me and Inferno 8/10

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th September 2009 08:28 PM

Anyone reckon it's something to do with the financial backers input?
As we all know,the crazy days of when a director was given a free reign,(When most of the best films were made) are long gone....:nod:

Philleh 29th September 2009 09:57 AM

I'm not too sure about investors, I mean Inferno was handled, badly at that, by 20th Century Fox! lol - Maybe he worked better when it was just his father and brother over seeing the project, but I personally think it's more to do with him not writting his own films any more!

He was also given free reign with Masters of Horror, a lot of fans didn't enjoy what he did with that material he chose; I did however! :woot:

killfinger 29th September 2009 01:44 PM

i don't think that they where given as full free reigns as we may think, Iäm sure that they had quite restrained budgets then too. And at the same time, it's almost impossible to recreate the aura of those classic movies. Just remember how awfull the late eighties flicks where with the Heavy Metal soundtracks. Great back then, but terrible now. That should have been our first warning... MOT lacked all the mysticism and gusto of the two first parts, I can't believe that the ending was so random. (and that Daria was a superimposed ghost!) Oops there's a giant pillar, CRUSH, oh well the witch is dead... It almost becomes as if Argento is trying to out Argento himself, instead of keeping it on a reasonable level. Then again Inferno also falls apart when the Mother busts through the mirror, but those underwater sequences in the start make up for everything in that movie. Or so I feel.

http://cinezilla.blogspot.com/

Philleh 29th September 2009 02:45 PM

Mother of Tears failed because of such a weak script - why didn't Dario and Daria just put their shit aside and write the final installment together? They can't be that rocky any more as she's in the damn film! :doh: