Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > House on the Edge of the Park
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree125Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2011, 01:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Wow, I'm away from here for a few hours and I need to catch up on three pages of debate! I don't think I can tackle every point individually but, to the best of my knowledge, the two main points were:

Classification vs Censorship -- I'm firmly on the classification side and think the Home Office should tell the BBFC to apply the 'Animals Act' to theatrical releases only and allow DVDs/BDs to be released with an appropriate certificate and warning on the back providing there is no illegal material.

House on the Edge of the Park -- following on from the advisory committee's report on Cannibal Holocaust, I feel that the rape scenes are so repugnant and difficult to watch that there is nothing sexualised about the 'sexualised violence' and Shameless should argue as much if it comes to an appeal.
Sarah@Cult Labs and Daemonia like this.
Old 19th April 2011, 02:02 PM
Cultist

The sexual violence in House on the Edge of the Park is hardly what I would call 'erotic'...its quite revolting. I think the BBFC just passed a Korean film where in a rape scene the victim appears to enjoy it? I Saw The Devil its called I think...but in the other hand the BBFC does tend to be more lenient on foreign language films, us proles don't watch them apparently
Daemonia likes this.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo37 View Post
...but in the other hand the BBFC does tend to be more lenient on foreign language films, us proles don't watch them apparently
Well, yes, we can't read so we don't bother with subtitled films. Bloody foreign rubbish.
Pete, hallo37, antmumford and 1 others like this.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:35 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Well, yes, we can't read so we don't bother with subtitled films. Bloody foreign rubbish.
You mean foreign countries make films?
Daemonia and antmumford like this.
Old 19th April 2011, 05:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by necroluciferia View Post
You mean foreign countries make films?
Yes. I was even surprised to learn that there are foreign countries. I'd heard of foreigners, and didn't like 'em, but had no idea where they came from.

antmumford likes this.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
They looked identical to me but then it's been a long time since I've watched either version.
Just compared the Vipco disc to the uncut EC one and the scene is the same.
Old 20th April 2011, 08:18 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Just compared the Vipco disc to the uncut EC one and the scene is the same.
Well my dutch ANOTHER WORLD disc is very diffrent, mate. I dont own the EC disc, so maybe that has cuts to it as well, like i say I havent got that issue, so i will go with your sayso on the Ec disc
Old 20th April 2011, 10:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Having rewatched House last night, i would still imagine it to be quite heavily cut.

All the scenes cut from I Spit on your Grave involved breast or pubic area shots whilst the attacks were taking place.

If this continues then a few frames in the first 3 minutes, and quite a lot of the assault on Cindy would be unlikely to pass uncut.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Having rewatched House last night, i would still imagine it to be quite heavily cut.

All the scenes cut from I Spit on your Grave involved breast or pubic area shots whilst the attacks were taking place.

If this continues then a few frames in the first 3 minutes, and quite a lot of the assault on Cindy would be unlikely to pass uncut.
Oddly enough, they were the sort of shots the BBFC advisory committee set should be left in Cannibal Holocaust, so I feel the uncut/cut status is very much up in the air. It possibly depends what the examiners have had for breakfast!
Old 20th April 2011, 12:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
I have to admit that censorship/classification history of this particular film is not something I know an awful lot about and I'm interested to hear what people think about this release considering some reasonably recent BBFC decisions.

In light of the uncut status of Last House on the Left and Night Train Murders, and the nearly uncut status of Cannibal Holocaust, how do people think House on the Edge of the Park will get on?

Can the sexual violence be said to be eroticised or is it likely to be interpreted as designed to disgust, as in Cannibal Holocaust? I can't quite decide...
Honestly, the movie House on... is quite tough stuff. I own it uncut and I also own Last House... in the Metrodome edition (by the way - a really great thing to own, this 3-disc-set). I first saw the latter and I thought, yeah, it's a nasty flick. But only after having seen HOTEOTP you know what a real psycho-terror movie looks like. But that's why I think it is a classic - in my eyes, Bizarre is also right when stating that it is a lot better than LHOTL; although this is some kind of important movie, too - especially as it is one of the first of the genre.

As to censorship: I really do not think that this will pass the BBFC uncut - as they really must love their "eroticised assault"-crap. But to be absolutely blunt: I think you have to be some kind of pervert yourself to see any erotic aspect in the Cindy scene. Who in the world would come up with total nonsense like that? I think the young lady makes perfectly clear that it is quite an unpleasant thing to be "tickled" by Hess' razor.

Besides: anybody who is old enough to vote and to drive a car should not be bothered by any censorship; just my two cents.

Greetings!
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!