Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > House on the Edge of the Park
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree125Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2011, 08:17 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
Ah, yes, but Irreversible is an art film, see?

Greetings!
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
Ah, yes, but Irreversible is an art film, see?
Even though the director has clearly stated in interviews he wanted to make an out-and-out rape and revenge flick. Hardly high pretensions, it's just that the arthouse crowd spew their empty rhetoric about how deep and profound it is, when it's obviously just a well-made exploitation rape and revenge movie. I didn't 'get' the deeper message, obviously...
Old 2nd August 2011, 04:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Even though the director has clearly stated in interviews he wanted to make an out-and-out rape and revenge flick. Hardly high pretensions, it's just that the arthouse crowd spew their empty rhetoric about how deep and profound it is, when it's obviously just a well-made exploitation rape and revenge movie. I didn't 'get' the deeper message, obviously...
Me neither. We better run and hide.

Greetings!
Old 2nd August 2011, 06:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The only differences between an 'art' film and an exploitation film is that 'art' films must always have pyscho babbel about been a women, a 'womens condition', periods, death and hardcore sex!
Old 2nd August 2011, 06:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
The only differences between an 'art' film and an exploitation film is that 'art' films must always have pyscho babbel about been a women, a 'womens condition', periods, death and hardcore sex!
Christ, that sounds like me and an ex partner.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 2nd August 2011, 07:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
To be fair, Angel is simply pointing out the reality of how things are at the BBFC at this moment in time. To be honest, things have progressed by an incredible amount over the last ten years and, for the most part, I'm happy with how the BBFC conduct their business. I still think that censoring films or banning them is a fruitless exercise, considering what can be accessed at the click of a mouse on the internet.

But, overall, I think they do a good job. I still get niggled by silly decisions though, like the idiotic cuts to Tombs of the Blind Dead. Okay, so it was sexual violence (well, it's not very sexy nor violent ), but it was still a stupid bit of censorship IMO.

I'm never going to get behind the idea that censoring fictional works is a good idea. Admittedly, a lot of what we watch is in very bad taste - but since when did bad taste ever harm anyone? I find most exploitation films rather amusing purely for their crassness and the fact that they made films as if censorship didn't exist. It's jaw-dropping political incorrectness, which makes me laugh. Or maybe I'm just not right in the head.
Agree with everything you say here Daemonia. I just don't get that in ( for example ) ten years time we can be 'trusted' to watch an uncut edition of House On The Edge Of The Park, yet aren't quite 'ready' for it yet.

I'm pretty happy in the main with the BBFC these days too, but I just wish they would take that final step and leave '18' rated movies untouched altogether.
Old 4th August 2011, 01:13 AM
Cultist

Just a quick request on an update: has House on the Edge of the Park been submitted to the BBFC yet?

...and if so, may I ask a few questions about the extras?

Is it possible to ask for clean editions of 'Sweetly' and the incidental music? In particular, the incidental music played between the rape scene between David Hess and Annie Brilliand? It might not be viable in any case since this scene was removed in its entirety in the last Vipco submission but it's worth asking anyway.

If Riz Ortolani has the originals for these, that would be great!
Old 4th August 2011, 08:17 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There was a deeper message?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Sounds like Baise Moi, but that didn't fare too well at Soho Square!
Old 4th August 2011, 08:34 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosleaze View Post
Just a quick request on an update: has House on the Edge of the Park been submitted to the BBFC yet?

...and if so, may I ask a few questions about the extras?

Is it possible to ask for clean editions of 'Sweetly' and the incidental music? In particular, the incidental music played between the rape scene between David Hess and Annie Brilliand? It might not be viable in any case since this scene was removed in its entirety in the last Vipco submission but it's worth asking anyway.

If Riz Ortolani has the originals for these, that would be great!
No submission to the BBFC yet as they were waiting for everything to come back from Cannibal Holocaust. This is now sorted so I would imagine it's only a matter of time. I will see if there are any updates on this.

As for the music, your message will get passed on to Shameless, but my guess would be it's not viable for them to do. I think a lot of their extras are already in place for this title now. But me or Nos will be able to let them know for you!
Old 4th August 2011, 08:45 AM
Active Cultist

the 'deeper message' in irreversible comes out through the backwards storytelling. by seeing each action followed by what led to that action, the viewer is asked to consider how one seemingly inocuous action can lead to something dire. not particularly deep but it's there. also the relationship between the two men (i forget their names) is very interesting, and it's interesting that the impotent one is ultimately the one who does the killing, and also that they kill the wrong man. these elements make it a wee bit more complicated than you standard rape/revenge film. irreversible made me think alot anyway, it actually helped change some of my behaviour and i think more about possible consequence for my actions now.
i think it's as deep as rape/revenge films get, whille still being 100% a rape/revenge film with no hint of pretension. gasper noe rules.

and back in the room. can't wait to see the bbfc results for hoteotp!
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!