Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2023, 04:29 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
They better give me a £1.30 refund can get a Gregg's Sausage Roll with that lol.
Smothered with blood (ketchup) of course!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th August 2023, 06:57 PM
Cult Master

This is kinda disappointing!

Alice Cooper sparks backlash after declaring gender-affirming care for trans kids is a ‘fad’ / Pink News

"Legendary American rock star Alice Cooper has sparked outrage after perpetuating common anti-trans myths.

Cooper – known as the Godfather of Shock Rock – has built a long career by subverting gender norms with his theatrical brand of music, often appearing on stage with reptiles, fake blood and electric chairs, and swords.

But, despite his forward-looking musical career, he has now joined a number of gender-critical musicians, including Ne-Yo and Kiss guitarist Paul Stanley, in attacking trans rights.

In as interview with Stereogum on Wednesday (23 August), “School’s Out” singer Cooper, whose real name is Vincent Damon Furnier, gave his views on trans rights, branding gender-affirming care for trans children a “fad”.

He also pedalled gender-critical arguments such as identifying as a non-human object and misplaced fears around trans-inclusive toilets.

“I’m afraid there [are] a lot of people claiming to be this just because they want to be that,” Cooper said. “I find it wrong when you’ve got a six-year-old kid who has no idea. He just wants to play, and you’re confusing [by] him telling him: ‘Yeah, you’re a boy, but you could be a girl if you want’.

“I think that’s so confusing to a kid. It’s even confusing to a teenager. You’re still trying to find your identity, and yet here’s this thing going on, saying, ‘Yeah, but you can be anything you want. You can be a cat if you want to be. I mean, if you identify as a tree’…”

Cooper’s comments coincide with the rise in US legislation against gender-affirming care for trans youth, despite the findings of a study in January which proved the positive effect on mental health this gives trans teenagers, while doctors have testified that it is “life-saving care”.

Meanwhile, large numbers of trans people are stuck on waiting lists for years, waiting for medical advice. Cooper continued: “And I’m going, ‘Come on. What are we in, a Kurt Vonnegut novel?’ It’s so absurd.” He went on to criticise “woke” gender-inclusive language in healthcare, saying: “We can’t say ‘mother’ now, we have to say ‘birthing person’. “Who is this person making these rules? I don’t get it. I’m not being old-school about it. I’m being logical.” Healthcare professionals, however, have consistently confirmed that inclusive-language options remain patient-dependent.

The 75-year-old singer, who performs in heavy makeup and bizarre costumes, added that the trans rights movement was “laughable” and a “huge comedy”. Everyone he speaks to calls it “stupid”, he claimed, and his “respect” for people means he would never force a “seven-year-old boy” to wear a dress if he didn’t want to.

“I say let somebody at least become sexually aware of who they are before they start thinking about if they’re a boy or a girl. A lot of times, I look at it this way, the logical way: if you have these genitals, you’re a boy, if you have those genitals, you’re a girl. [If] you want to be a female, OK, that’s something you can do later on if you want. But you’re not a male born a female.”

The star, who once described himself as the most functional alcoholic ever and credited Jesus with saving him, went on to criticise people who enter the public toilet that aligns with their gender.

He echoed the anti-trans perspective that men would “take advantage”, leading to an increase in violent crimes. “A guy can walk into a woman’s bathroom at any time and just say, ‘I just feel like I’m a woman today’, and have the time of his life in there,” he said.

“Somebody’s going to get raped, and the guy’s going to say: ‘Well, I felt like a girl that day, then I felt like a guy’. Where do you draw this line?”

A number of US states, including Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, North Dakota and Idaho, have passed legislation restricting which public toilets trans people can use. Although there is no evidence that trans people pose a risk, there are documented cases of transgender people being harassed in toilets.

Cooper’s comments have sparked a backlash on social media.

“Just another day when another artist I love, whose whole career was built on exploiting transgressive behaviour for the masses, turns out to be a transphobe,” one person wrote.

Another added: “This breaks my heart. I thought of all the rockers, he would be very supportive.”

Urgh. I've loved Alice Cooper for years & his music & theatricality seriously helped me through my late teens (he was already vintage then, I'm not that old!)
I've always suspected his politics/world view & mine don't align but it's depressing to have absolute proof of that 😞
— Rebecca Morris-Buck (@rsbuck) August 24, 2023

OMFG Alice Cooper.

Last half of this interview is not only disappointing, but super embarrassing. Dude needs to actually talk to people from the Trans community and gain some f'ing insight.
— Armarna Forbes (79k/80k) (@ArmarnaForbes) August 24, 2023"

Old 25th August 2023, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

That interview is a bit surprising. As others have said in the comments that Alice has been flying the flag for gender ****ery and transgressive behaviour for his whole career and now he’s so flippant about trans identity. I hate that whole “I identify as tree” argument as it makes no sense at all.

Well, I’m no stranger to separating the art from the artist so he’s just another one on an increasingly long list!
Susan Foreman likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th August 2023, 11:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've very strongly disagreed with his political views for years. Hearing his viewpoints on this new subject won't affect my enjoyment of his output either. He is in his 70's so it's probably not surprising that his personal take on things is quite out of touch with the modern world. My parents (were they still alive) would have had unpopular opinions too. btw My parents also consistently voted for Margaret Thatcher as prime minister yet I still loved them.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th August 2023, 07:32 AM
Cult Veteran

Anyway, I watched the concert film last night and it's excellent. I didn't pay much attention to the set list prior so I was very pleased to hear Bed of Nails! His current live band is probably the best he's had, they're all so good, full of charisma.

Also, Amazon is sending me £1.36 back and I didn't even need to to ask.

Old 26th August 2023, 11:10 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Anyway, I watched the concert film last night and it's excellent
Glad you enjoyed he show

Quote:
His current live band is probably the best he's had, they're all so good, full of charisma
As a long term fan, I would question this

Yes, I agree that the current band is fun, but I prefer the earlier touring bands. The inclusion of keyboards and less 'shredding guitars' were more gothic and atmospheric than they are nowadays - that's not to say that I don't like the current band, but I prefer the band on the 'Welcome To My Nightmare' / 'The Strange Case Of Alice Cooper' / 'Brutally Live' era releases
Justin101 likes this.

Old 26th August 2023, 11:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Listened to Road again last night. I think the best track is 100 More Miles. I kinda wish it would be a bit longer than it is on the cd.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th August 2023, 11:23 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Glad you enjoyed he show

Yes, I agree that the current band is fun, but I prefer the earlier touring bands. The inclusion of keyboards and less 'shredding guitars' were more gothic and atmospheric than they are nowadays - that's not to say that I don't like the current band, but I prefer the band on the 'Welcome To My Nightmare' / 'The Strange Case Of Alice Cooper' / 'Brutally Live' era releases

I’m also a long term fan of Cooper, since I was 12 years old so I’m familiar with the different eras, and musically I would agree that Nightmare is the best, but the band themselves were not front and centre like Alice and the show were. I also really like the Trashes the World band with the big hair and very tight pants, but the current band is my favourite because they’re fun and charismatic and Nita is amazing.

Old 26th August 2023, 11:30 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Glad you enjoyed he show

Just looked at The Strange Case of Alice Cooper setlist and line up. It's interesting that 19 of the 21 songs are still live staples nowadays.

The Brutally Live band are a good line up of session musicians including former Almighty guitarist Pete Friesen, Kiss drummer Eric Singer, Guns N' Roses keyboard player Teddy Andreadis and long term guitarist Ryan Roxie who definitely brought and brings, seeing as he's still in the band, added sleaze to the music, but they were a set of session musicians rather than a band.

The players Alice currently has are an actual band, a long term line up who have developed chemistry together in the decade plus they've been together.

I think they are a tight unit and play well and have fun together whenever i've seen them perform.
Old 26th August 2023, 11:40 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The players Alice currently has are an actual band, a long term line up who have developed chemistry together in the decade plus they've been together.

I think they are a tight unit and play well and have fun together whenever i've seen them perform.
Agreed

But *personally* I prefer Alice when he was more atmospheric and didn't have 'shredding guitarists'

I think that the music was better when it was gothic in nature, and didn't need 'a million notes a second' guitarists

Think of it as the difference between Hammers 'Horror Of Dracula' and Eli Roth's 'Hostel' - The horror and sentiment are the same, but one is more 'traditional' and one is 'what is currently in vogue'
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!