All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2012, 05:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mike Ness - Cheating at Solitaire.

A long time favourite of mine and now amazingly 14 years old.

Ness, the frontman of US punk band Social Distortion, goes back to his roots and performs an album of country, bluegrass, rockabilly, and blues, all with an edgy punk attitude. Bruce Springsteen guests on vocals and guitar on the snarling Misery Loves Company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51ERwtos8vL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (28.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 14th April 2012, 05:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy mike nesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Mike Ness - Cheating at Solitaire.

A long time favourite of mine and now amazingly 14 years old.

Ness, the frontman of US punk band Social Distortion, goes back to his roots and performs an album of country, bluegrass, rockabilly, and blues, all with an edgy punk attitude. Bruce Springsteen guests on vocals and guitar on the snarling Misery Loves Company.
sorry to go off topic,but whenever i see mike ness name i always think of mike nesmith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mike nesmith.jpg (44.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 14th April 2012, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
sorry to go off topic,but whenever i see mike ness name i always think of mike nesmith
Bugger off Vic.
VicDakin likes this.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Hank Williams III

Quote:
Ill try to redem myself then,you may like Hank Williams III,especially his album Straight to Hell,if you not already familiar,he mixes up country bluegrass metal,check out his history on wiki pretty varied career too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hank_Williams_III-Straight_To_Hell-Frontal.jpg (100.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg HankRebelProud-e142c.jpg (59.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 14th April 2012, 06:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ill try to redem myself then,you may like Hank Williams III,especially his album Straight to Hell,if you not already familiar,he mixes up country bluegrass metal,check out his history on wiki pretty varied career too
Redeemed.

Ness performs You Win Again by his granddad on Solitaire.

I have the Superjoint Ritual albums.
VicDakin likes this.
Old 14th April 2012, 06:04 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Can't stop listening to Scott Walker at the minute (albums 1-4). So so so so so soooo good.
Old 14th April 2012, 06:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Actually, on the Scott Walker binge I came across this:

The main theme from a spaghetti western co-written by Dario Argento. An odd example of 2 very different artists I love that end up becoming connected.
Old 14th April 2012, 06:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Calibro 35

VicDakin likes this.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've been listening to loads of 'Song Poems', culled from various corners of the web.
I don't know if anyone's familiar with the history, but basically a song poem is the musical equivalent of vanity publishing ie the end result of a process wherebye interested parties, mostly amateurs or non-professionals, would pay to have their lyrics set to sound by jobbing musicians. This practice was fairly popular in 60s / 70s America, but stretches back to mid-century or before. The results are mostly as banal as one would expect, but there's a fair portion of sheer weirdness resulting either from the aspirations of obviously disturbed individuals (the work of Thomas Guygax could be explained either by an infatuation with 'Finnegan's Wake' or the impact of schizophrenic thought disorder) , deliberate piss takes (the most well known song poem is Jon Trubee's infamous 'A Blind Man's Penis'), or incompetent studio hackery (loads and loads). Many such nuggets are collected on pricey and OOP collections (I remember the main archive used to be available for download back in 2002), but there are plenty of available examples on WFMU and of course much similar ephemera on Ubuweb (last time I looked). Worthy of exploration by anyone with an interest in trash para-culture.
Old 14th April 2012, 11:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Can't stop listening to Scott Walker at the minute (albums 1-4). So so so so so soooo good.
The more I listen to 'Climate of Hunter', the more it seems to soil his classic period... not as much as me and my mate though -we've just done such an incompetent version of 'The Seventh Seal' that we may as well have organised a ritual burning of all copies of Scott 1-4 available to man!

Like this? Share it using the links below!