Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   Latest Album Bought (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/7207-latest-album-bought.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th January 2023 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 680407)

The soundtrack is the only good thing about Exorcist II: The Heretic – the film is a complete mess and only watchable if you treat it as a comedy. The scenes with James Earl Jones dressed as a locust are hilarious. :lol:

nosferatu42 5th January 2023 12:22 AM

Exorcist 2 is hands down my favourite of the series.
The rest are dryer than week old turkey leftovers at xmas, or a dead dingo's dick.

All hail Morricone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqEJ6kHT84

nosferatu42 5th January 2023 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 680454)
The soundtrack is the only good thing about Exorcist II: The Heretic – the film is a complete mess and only watchable if you treat it as a comedy. The scenes with James Earl Jones dressed as a locust are hilarious. :lol:

I can't watch The Exorcist as a serious film, it's like, this is a serious film about faith, but it doesn't address anything.

Possession of an innocent without any kind of moral choice is a basic setup that doesn't really address any of the moralistic choices made in any kind of pact with the devil for a start.

Ok i get it's the priests faith, but it just kinda makes them look like extras from Father Ted, idiotic numbnuts.
"I was a priest for 20 years but lately i'm not up to it. "
"So what changed? "
"Dunno just feeling a bit off, maybe the salmon mousse."

In my view the film is a well made ghost train that builds up atmosphere and tension but doesn't address anything.

Also it is ultra serious in intent, but the major pay off scenes are ridiculous, Swearing, ****ing a cross, the head 360 degree turn ( which is my ultimate bug bear, they'd be dead, end of.,) and puke scenes are all totally base and pathetic and are totally in opposition to the main themes of the film.

Also I'm pretty sure Pazuzu is the Aztec version of the "shithead" card game.

At least Exorcist 2 realises it's a mess and runs with it, but then again The Omen series has always been my religious horror film template, and i was always on his side anyway...

Oh no...i've fallen out the window down the stairs again Vic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-PLARA19Q

nosferatu42 5th January 2023 03:45 AM

:pop2::whip:

Nordicdusk 5th January 2023 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 680454)

I really have to watch it again it's been years I can't remember much about it honestly so maybe that's why it's been years

MrBarlow 5th January 2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 680494)
I really have to watch it again it's been years I can't remember much about it honestly so maybe that's why it's been years

I watched it last year and think it was a international cut but the soundtrack does make the film better :behindsofa:

Susan Foreman 7th January 2023 02:17 PM

The local library is selling off a lot of CD's for 10p each!

I walked in with nothing, and walked out with:

Bruce Springsteen: The Seegar Sessions (CD & DVD)
The Byrds: The Very Best Of
Dave Gilmour: About Face
David Bowie: Heathen
David Bowie: Earthling
Carly Simon: Reflections - Greatest Hits
Genesis: R-Kive (3x CD)
Glen Campbell: Adios / Greatest Hits (2x CD - for Chloe)
Jefferson Airplane: The Essential Jefferson Airplane (2x CD)
John Lennon: The Greatest Hits
King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King
Metallica: Death Magnetic
Robert Plant: Band Of Joy
Yes: Fly From Here

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th January 2023 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 680481)
I can't watch The Exorcist as a serious film, it's like, this is a serious film about faith, but it doesn't address anything.

Possession of an innocent without any kind of moral choice is a basic setup that doesn't really address any of the moralistic choices made in any kind of pact with the devil for a start.

Ok i get it's the priests faith, but it just kinda makes them look like extras from Father Ted, idiotic numbnuts.
"I was a priest for 20 years but lately i'm not up to it. "
"So what changed? "
"Dunno just feeling a bit off, maybe the salmon mousse."

In my view the film is a well made ghost train that builds up atmosphere and tension but doesn't address anything.

Also it is ultra serious in intent, but the major pay off scenes are ridiculous, Swearing, ****ing a cross, the head 360 degree turn ( which is my ultimate bug bear, they'd be dead, end of.,) and puke scenes are all totally base and pathetic and are totally in opposition to the main themes of the film.

Also I'm pretty sure Pazuzu is the Aztec version of the "shithead" card game.

At least Exorcist 2 realises it's a mess and runs with it, but then again The Omen series has always been my religious horror film template, and i was always on his side anyway...

Oh no...i've fallen out the window down the stairs again Vic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-PLARA19Q

There are several different storylines in The Exorcist: Pazuzu’s battle with Father Merrin, the Demon targeting Father Karras because of his crisis of confidence, faith, and trying to reconcile his medical knowledge with something that defies biological explanation.

There is no “pact with the devil”: Regan was chosen because of her proximity to Damien Karras, her parents’ (pending) divorce, her transient lifestyle, and her susceptibility to possession.

It’s a film about humanity and how, ultimately, Damien Karras chooses to pay the ultimate price through self-sacrifice to save the soul of an innocent girl after Father Merrin has, effectively, died in battle against the Demon. Rather than being “idiotic numbnuts”, they are caring and compassionate people who are determined to save an innocent child’s life. With the exception of Dr. Klein, they are far kinder than the doctors who subject Regan to traumatic tests and more thoughtful and respectful than the pompous psychiatrist who hypnotises her.

I’ve never played shithead and hadn’t heard of it before today. All I know about Pazuzu is that he is the king of the wind demons, a character trait that is very present in the Iraq opening section and, later, when crockery and other objects are blowing around Regan’s bedroom.

I consider The Exorcist to be a masterfully made film, one with exceptional performances, and a very powerful and emotional experience that always stays with me long after the end credits have finished.

nosferatu42 8th January 2023 06:16 PM

I know it's a great film, I've read the novel and a lot of stuff dissecting it, I just don't find myself wanting to watch it very often, i'm the same with The Shining, I have to be really in the mood to watch them.

I was a bit drunk the other night as you may have guessed...:rolleyes:

Because you dismissed Exorcist 2 (which is fair) I kinda felt the urge to defend it and ridicule the original.

These days i find myself more drawn to Black and White classics because they are easy to watch and usually short. Hammer, Amicus or 70's/ 80's cheese.

I guess it's getting older with the nostalgia aspect or just wanting something easy, enjoyable and distracting as the world's miserable lately.

Serious stuff is mostly out the window for me these days.

Nordicdusk 8th January 2023 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 680609)
There are several different storylines in The Exorcist: Pazuzu’s battle with Father Merrin, the Demon targeting Father Karras because of his crisis of confidence, faith, and trying to reconcile his medical knowledge with something that defies biological explanation.

There is no “pact with the devil”: Regan was chosen because of her proximity to Damien Karras, her parents’ (pending) divorce, her transient lifestyle, and her susceptibility to possession.

It’s a film about humanity and how, ultimately, Damien Karras chooses to pay the ultimate price through self-sacrifice to save the soul of an innocent girl after Father Merrin has, effectively, died in battle against the Demon. Rather than being “idiotic numbnuts”, they are caring and compassionate people who are determined to save an innocent child’s life. With the exception of Dr. Klein, they are far kinder than the doctors who subject Regan to traumatic tests and more thoughtful and respectful than the pompous psychiatrist who hypnotises her.

I’ve never played shithead and hadn’t heard of it before today. All I know about Pazuzu is that he is the king of the wind demons, a character trait that is very present in the Iraq opening section and, later, when crockery and other objects are blowing around Regan’s bedroom.

I consider The Exorcist to be a masterfully made film, one with exceptional performances, and a very powerful and emotional experience that always stays with me long after the end credits have finished.

I love reading your breakdowns of The Exorcist I have always loved the film but over the years reading yours posts about it have made me appreciate it even more from reading the book and you telling me to watch the film with the commentary on gave me a totally different experience everytime I watch it. Your passion for the film is fantastic and infectious :clap:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 680624)
I love reading your breakdowns of The Exorcist I have always loved the film but over the years reading yours posts about it have made me appreciate it even more from reading the book and you telling me to watch the film with the commentary on gave me a totally different experience everytime I watch it. Your passion for the film is fantastic and infectious :clap:

The other nosferatu thinks Nosferatu's passion for The Exorcist is infectious.

It makes him sick.

:pound:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th January 2023 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 680624)

:thankingyou:

:ilovecultlabs:

Susan Foreman 24th January 2023 12:15 PM

Charity shop

Megadeth: Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? - 2 disc 25th anniversary version - £1:00

The first disc has the same track listing as the LP version I got back in 1986 with no extra tracks:
  • Wake Up Dead
  • The Conjuring
  • Peace Sells
  • Devils Island
  • Good Mourning / Black Friday
  • Bad Omen
  • I Ain't Superstitious
  • My Last Words
The second disc contains a live concert, recorded at the at Phantasy Theater, Cleveland in 1987:
  • Intro
  • Wake Up Dead
  • The Conjuring
  • Bad Omen
  • Rattlehead
  • Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good
  • Looking Down the Cross
  • My Last Words
  • Peace Sells
  • These Boots Were Made for Walkin'
  • Devil's Island
  • Last Rites / Loved to Deth
  • Mechanix

Nordicdusk 29th January 2023 08:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 244498 Attachment 244499

Went to IKEA today got side tracked and got these on the way came home without furniture but as always METAL saved the day :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2023 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 681314)
Attachment 244498 Attachment 244499

Went to IKEA today got side tracked and got these on the way came home without furniture but as always METAL saved the day :lol:

I take it you didn't buy those at Ikea?

Two fantastic albums that have stood the test of time.

Nordicdusk 29th January 2023 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681316)
I take it you didn't buy those at Ikea?

Two fantastic albums that have stood the test of time.

No I stopped at a record shop on the way. Saw some beautiful stands for my vinyl in IKEA I'll have to measure up the place and go back if they fit.

Anyway yes two amazing albums had to have them in the vinyl collection.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2023 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought at the local Air Ambulance shop. A double cd Wishbone Ash compilation.

I've never listened to them before, all i know is that their twin guitars inspired Steve Harris when forming Iron Maiden.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th February 2023 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two near mint Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott cd's from the local Air Ambulance shop.

Nordicdusk 14th February 2023 04:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 244699 Attachment 244700

I'm like a child here just keep looking at these covers beautiful :lol:

Finally upgrading my Kiss CDs to vinyl.

Destroyer is the anniversary double vinyl with rarities and demos and a beautiful colour photo booklet.

Susan Foreman 14th February 2023 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 681885)

Destroyer is the anniversary double vinyl with rarities and demos and a beautiful colour photo booklet.

How times have changed

Back in the days when I was listening to music, we would upgrade our vinyl LP's to CD's!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th February 2023 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 681885)
Attachment 244699 Attachment 244700

Now Kiss vinyl i do have. All of them up to Revenge except Music From the Elder

Can't play em' though. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th February 2023 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A variety of music, from pop to rock, classic albums to 'best of' compilations, relatively old albums to very recent ones.

Six of these were in the Music Magpie 4 for £8; Wet Leg and Muse's Simulation Theory were brand-new.

Demoncrat 4th March 2023 05:55 PM

Picked up a few cds.

Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Goldfrapp - Black Cherry
Doors - Strange Days
Hendrix - Concerts

£4.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th March 2023 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From the Air Ambulance shop. Some Grammy winning Joni.

Justin101 9th March 2023 06:48 AM

A great album, very relaxing ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th March 2023 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 682873)
A great album, very relaxing ;)

Haha! Tell me about it. Fell asleep for four hours whilst listening to it.

Demoncrat 22nd March 2023 07:15 PM

Picked up a few cds. All UK.

The Amboy Dukes - Journey To The Centre Of The Mind (Ted Nugent in psych mode, see what are you listening to etc ;))
The 13th Floor Elevatros - his Eye Is On The Pyramid (2cd, awful title, but comprehensive)
Alex Harvey - Teenage A Go Go (compilation of his earliest recordings, quite pleased about this one)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd March 2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 683488)
Picked up a few cds. All UK.

The Amboy Dukes - Journey To The Centre Of The Mind (Ted Nugent in psych mode, see what are you listening to etc ;))

:clap::clap::clap:

I'd so have picked this up myself.

If you'll pardon my French. The title track is f*cking awesome. Timeless.

Nordicdusk 4th April 2023 05:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 245548 Attachment 245549

After so many years of trying to get my hands on this it has arrived. The colours in the vinyl are amazing my shitty camera can't do it justice the neon pink really pops.

Susan Foreman 20th April 2023 12:13 PM

Someone has given a lot of rock and metal CD's to one of the charity shops in Purley

After paying £2:50. I exited with copes of 'Nevermind' (Nirvana), 'Load' (Metallica), 'Who Cares A Lot: The Greatest Hits' (Faith No More), 'Speak Of The Devil' (Ozzy) and 'Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Part 1' (Helloween), but I could easily have got 10 times that number!

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th April 2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 684747)
Someone has given a lot of rock and metal CD's to one of the charity shops in Purley

After paying £2:50. I exited with copes of 'Nevermind' (Nirvana), 'Load' (Metallica), 'Who Cares A Lot: The Greatest Hits' (Faith No More), 'Speak Of The Devil' (Ozzy) and 'Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Part 1' (Helloween), but I could easily have got 10 times that number!

Happy days! :woot:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th April 2023 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 684747)

That's hours of listening pleasure for less than the price of a Costa coffee, so great value for money!

Nordicdusk 20th April 2023 12:54 PM

Ye don't realise how lucky ye are honestly in the UK. There is a charity shop next to where I work and in the window they have a George and Mildred boxset the box is in bits and it's €25 :lol:

Justin101 20th April 2023 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 684750)
Ye don't realise how lucky ye are honestly in the UK. There is a charity shop next to where I work and in the window they have a George and Mildred boxset the box is in bits and it's €25 :lol:

It's the same in Liverpool, there is rarely a bargain to be had, and when something good comes in they're canny enough to know it's worth more money.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th April 2023 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 684751)
It's the same in Liverpool, there is rarely a bargain to be had, and when something good comes in they're canny enough to know it's worth more money.

After seeing Susan's post i got the urge to call in at the Air Ambulance shop.

I'll trade all Susan's metal and rock cd's in the shop visited for around thirty Now! compilations and around twenty Rat Pack live cd's (All seemingly from the same series)

Susan Foreman 20th April 2023 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 684753)
After seeing Susan's post i got the urge to call in at the Air Ambulance shop.

I'll trade all Susan's metal and rock cd's in the shop visited for around thirty Now! compilations and around twenty Rat Pack live cd's (All seemingly from the same series)

Our local one has them all - (more) Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Hendrix, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Henry Rollins, Mastodon, Slade, Iron Maiden etc

But no Alice Cooper!

I think a return trip will be in order tomorrow when I do a Tesco run!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th April 2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 684754)
Our local one has them all - (more) Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Hendrix, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Henry Rollins, Mastodon, Slade, Iron Maiden etc

But no Alice Cooper!

I think a return trip will be in order tomorrow when I do a Tesco run!!

We'll need to see pics of your haul tomorrow. :nod:

Nordicdusk 22nd May 2023 09:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Attachment 246410 Attachment 246411 Attachment 246412 Attachment 246413 Attachment 246414 Attachment 246415

Absolutely amazing release from Waxwork Records so much beautiful artwork and the vinyl colour itself :hail:

This has blown my mind honestly.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd May 2023 09:53 PM

I remember someone who used to write about Bela Lugosi and his films. ;)

Nordicdusk 22nd May 2023 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 686314)
I remember someone who used to write about Bela Lugosi and his films. ;)

:behindsofa: