Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The CRITERION DVD and Blu-ray Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/10082-criterion-dvd-blu-ray-thread.html)

Jinx_Barkman 17th December 2013 11:53 PM

I'm interested in seeing a few of them but the only one I feel slightly inclined to purchase is Persona.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th January 2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 383633)
Only one of those new announcements that tempts me is the Kurosawa one I reckon.

Just Persona for me.

Refused 5th January 2014 09:37 AM

Despite my love of samurai films, I've yet to see anything by Kurosawa. Which is the best Criterion blu to pick up for a newcomer - I'd assume I should probably start with Seven Samurai?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th January 2014 09:40 AM

Seven Samurai is the benchmark Kurosawa Samurai film. Although, it's not a film I'm a massive fan of.

In fact, my favourite Kurosawa is actually High and Low which is far removed from his Samurai epics.

Refused 5th January 2014 09:44 AM

I am pretty bad when it comes to watching long films, anything over 2 hours usually puts me off. I might pick up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set - reading up on them they sound like just my cup of sake.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th January 2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 385795)
Despite my love of samurai films, I've yet to see anything by Kurosawa. Which is the best Criterion blu to pick up for a newcomer - I'd assume I should probably start with Seven Samurai?

Yeah, probably The Seven Samurai, followed closely by Yojimbo.

Nemesis 5th January 2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 385795)

I second bizarre eye's suggestion of High and Low. It's a terrific thriller and far better than the period Samurai pieces that Kurosawa ever did.

Although not on BD, I'd also highly recommend Red Beard - I loved it.

Edit - All your music have a couple of Criterion BDs under £14 - Tin Drum and Alambrista when I last checked.

Handyman Joe 18th January 2014 05:57 PM

Watched The Ministry of Fear this afternoon - not too shabby. First 20 mins are first rate as Ray Milland is discharged from an asylum and encounters all kind of weird shit. Dullish plot mechanics take over a bit as they tend to do in these type of noirs but a cool seance livens things up before a rooftop shotout brings some excitement. A real groaner of a last scene is totally out of place and smells of studio insistence. Overall a solid 7/10.

Jinx_Barkman 19th January 2014 06:30 PM

That's probably the same rating I would give it Joe. Not the best noir I've ever seen but one of the more enjoyable ones. That seance was definitely one of the highlights. The ending felt flat to me and slightly disjointed.

Handyman Joe 22nd February 2014 04:53 PM

Finally got round to watching Fish Tank - what the hell kept me? This film is fantastic, brutal yet beautiful, like Mike Leigh meets Terence Malik. Andrea Arnold does a great job of keeping you guessing - is Michael Fassbinder a father figure or a seedy borderline paedo? Is Katie Jarvis a good person in shit circumstances or just a another soulless chav? You can probably guess the answers but you'll still love the finding out. The last 20 minutes or so when the epiphanies start piling up for our anti-heroine are breathtaking. Amazing film, amazing release - don't miss checking out Wasp in the extras, a first rate Danny Dyer movie - who knew?