Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

michal 9th June 2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakie79 (Post 493505)
If films cannot be released uncut then they should not be. If someone has such a profound issue with certain scenes then they should avoid the title altogether. Its like saying I like Triumph Of The Will but only with the Nazi bits cut out. Watching the scene comparison on my copy of Cut And Run really highlighed for the silliness of it all.
Hope they get an uncut form for the sake of the folks helping fund this stuff.

Lets hope 88 films will have something to say about it on facebook page

Antropophagus 9th June 2016 04:12 PM

Well, they act like they always do, completely ignoring my messages and the email but at the same time they found the time to respond to someone regarding a question on one of the perks. I'm really trying to be polite and friendly but 88 Films, I'm starting to think you are a very shady operation. Please try and prove me I'm wrong. I'll apologise publicly.

keirarts 9th June 2016 04:54 PM

From a consumer perspective advertising something as uncut when its not can be viewed as misrepresentation. While some people dont give a s*** (me included as midv is the one film from them I dont care about) for others it forms part of their decision to purchase the item. Theoretically it could be an issue for the advertising standards authority and possibly trading standards if someone kicks up a fuss. Certainly anyone aggrieved would legally be within their rights to be asked to put back into a pre-contractual position.

Frankenhooker 9th June 2016 06:14 PM

Misrepresentation is breach of contract and anyone who has been misled will get their money back.

My problem is this, nobody knows what is going on. Saying this film is cut, if it eventually passes uncut, could be deemed detrimental and those who say it could also leave themselves open to legal action. People should wait until the facts are known and then follow their own path.

88 Films are a small company, people need to be sure before putting statements on the Internet, it can be damaging.

keirarts 9th June 2016 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 493528)
Misrepresentation is breach of contract and anyone who has been misled will get their money back.

My problem is this, nobody knows what is going on. Saying this film is cut, if it eventually passes uncut, could be deemed detrimental and those who say it could also leave themselves open to legal action. People should wait until the facts are known and then follow their own path.

88 Films are a small company, people need to be sure before putting statements on the Internet, it can be damaging.

Fully agree. I suspect it will end up cut, but its not been submitted yet so early days however I think they are taking a big chance with this one assuming the BBFC will pass it.

JAMIOUSE 9th June 2016 07:16 PM

Has anyone emailed 88 or James and Richard directly about MIDV possibly been cut? I know their not always the best at responding to emails and messages but they do generally reply. There is a possibilty that 88 aren't even aware of this fuss going down on the forums.

Antropophagus 9th June 2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 493546)
Has anyone emailed 88 or James and Richard directly about MIDV possibly been cut? I know their not always the best at responding to emails and messages but they do generally reply. There is a possibilty that 88 aren't even aware of this fuss going down on the forums.

Yes, I did email them. And I am pretty sure they are very well aware. Someone has asked them about it on blu-ray.com forums. They responded to the post made later than the Massacre in Dinosaur Valley one. This thing is what upsetting me. Their customer servicce is almost non-existent. Some time ago they were upset and were wondering why people didn't have higher opinion of them. This is one of the reasons why. Another label that act like them is Raro.

Frankenhooker 9th June 2016 07:32 PM

Funny how one person got a detailed reply saying it was cut though. I've emailed them a couple of times, no reply.

J Harker 9th June 2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 493528)

Saying this film is cut, if it eventually passes uncut, could be deemed detrimental and those who say it could also leave themselves ope to legal action. People should wait until the facts are known and then follow their own path.

Good points. [emoji106]

PaulD 9th June 2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakie79 (Post 493505)
If films cannot be released uncut then they should not be. If someone has such a profound issue with certain scenes then they should avoid the title altogether. Its like saying I like Triumph Of The Will but only with the Nazi bits cut out. Watching the scene comparison on my copy of Cut And Run really highlighed for the silliness of it all.
Hope they get an uncut form for the sake of the folks helping fund this stuff.

Why? That makes no sense, expecially when uk cuts to films are made by the BBFC. They aren't cut to make them more palatable for an audiene, it's all the silly nonsense stemming from the VRA etc (which I disagree with)

I would prefer uncut everytime, of course, goes without saying. But I can live without animal violence if needs be and if a film is released uncut (like say New York Ripper or I Spit On Your Grave) I don't feel the need to bang on and on about how I am not gonna buy it. That sort of thing with genre fans does my head in, it's just as tedious a moral crusade as Mary Whitehouse as far as I am concerned

fuzzymctiger 9th June 2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 493563)
Why? That makes no sense, expecially when uk cuts to films are made by the BBFC. They aren't cut to make them more palatable for an audiene, it's all the silly nonsense stemming from the VRA etc (which I disagree with)

I would prefer uncut everytime, of course, goes without saying. But I can live without animal violence if needs be and if a film is released uncut (like say New York Ripper or I Spit On Your Grave) I don't feel the need to bang on and on about how I am not gonna buy it. That sort of thing with genre fans does my head in, it's just as tedious a moral crusade as Mary Whitehouse as far as I am concerned

Exactly, couldn't agree with you more. A big card that is always pulled out is the "as the director intended" card, which I feel a lot of the time with animal violence isn't even relevant, as some of them fully regret including it, and I doubt any director would be fussed that a filler shot of some chickens fighting got cut.

PaulD 10th June 2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 493579)
Exactly, couldn't agree with you more. A big card that is always pulled out is the "as the director intended" card, which I feel a lot of the time with animal violence isn't even relevant, as some of them fully regret including it, and I doubt any director would be fussed that a filler shot of some chickens fighting got cut.

Absolutely! "As the producer intended" maybe, judging by most of the stories you hear about this sort of thing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 493579)

I'm sure they only regret including it due to the stink it kicks up nowadays. Back then in the 70's, 80's, when they thought 'anything goes', they'd be happy to go with whatever made them a quick buck and got whichever film they'd made a bit of notoriety.

It's only now when they realize they are in the minority and the 21st century doesn't consider animal cruelty acceptable that said film makers regret it.

For the record i loathe animal cruelty, but also understand that what was once acceptable may not be deemed so now, meaning that i would still wish whatever i watch to be completely uncut and on my screen just as was intended when made.

To be quite honest, take away the lopping off of a mongoose's bollocks, or whatever was originally filmed, and many of these jungle / cannibal films are a right load of boring twaddle and are about as entertaining as watching paint dry without the exploitative elements of pulling 7 livers out of a fake torso or turning a snake into a pair of boots. Having said that i do enjoy these films and own the majority on uncut dvd, but it's not a fave genre of mine.

Unless of course you actually believe these films were intended as a socio-political message... in that case i'm not sure whose the more deluded. :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Puppet Master 4! Booya!

Attachment 179509

michal 10th June 2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 493596)
Puppet Master 4! Booya!

Attachment 179509

one of the best sequels

JAMIOUSE 10th June 2016 11:27 AM

Anyone got a shipping notice yet for Alien 2? The fulfilment company they use now James & James take an absolute age to send things out.

mr 420 10th June 2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 493607)
Anyone got a shipping notice yet for Alien 2? The fulfilment company they use now James & James take an absolute age to send things out.

Don't suppose you know when its ment to be hitting the high street, J? :thankingyou:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 493615)
Don't suppose you know when its ment to be hitting the high street, J? :thankingyou:

27th June.

Hammer time 10th June 2016 12:05 PM

I never buy a cut movie,i will never buy a revisionist version of a film

mr 420 10th June 2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 493616)
27th June.

Nice one, BE. I haven't seen this since my old VTC tape decided to strangle one of my VCRs with its tape. :rolleyes:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 493624)
Nice one, BE. I haven't seen this since my old VTC tape decided to strangle one of my VCRs with its tape. :rolleyes:

I have Midnight Legacy's US Blu so I'm not sure whether I'll bother with 88's version.

I could probably wait for a price drop on 88's though, pick it up and sell the ML version off for a profit. ;)

Antropophagus 10th June 2016 01:00 PM

Hey Michal, since I haven't got a reponse from 88 Films, could you please take a screenshot off their email to you and post it here? I believe JAMIOUSE has asked you to do it as well. Thanks in advance.

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure why they had to zoom in so much on the Puppet Master 4 cover. I managed to do a better job cropping the poster. [emoji39]

Attachment 179510Attachment 179511

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 03:17 PM

Anyone know which reverse they're using on Alien 2?

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 493653)
Anyone know which reverse they're using on Alien 2?

You aint gonna like it!.....

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Attachment 179530

PaulD 10th June 2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer time (Post 493617)
I never buy a cut movie,i will never buy a revisionist version of a film

What if the original had lots of misguided scenes and reshoots added as a result of studio interference and years later the director gets a chance to rectify that with his own preferred cut, removing a lot of scenes in the process?

mr 420 10th June 2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 493657)
What if the original had lots of misguided scenes and reshoots added as a result of studio interference and years later the director gets a chance to rectify that with his own preferred cut, removing a lot of scenes in the process?

E.g. Clive Barker's Nightbreed. :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Like Tony Scott's crappy shorter Director's Cut of Revenge. [emoji38]

PaulD 10th June 2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 493659)

Haha hush you :P...

But yeah, my example goes both ways :)

michal 10th June 2016 04:09 PM

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama i have dispatched notice today
:)

VeZius 10th June 2016 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by michal (Post 493661)
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama i have dispatched notice today
:)

Seems like you sent out my order. :shocked:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 493658)
E.g. Clive Barker's Nightbreed. :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 493659)

Blade Runner: The Final Cut is much better than the version which was first released, as is the reconstructed version of Touch of Evil, using Orson Welles' instructions).

I also received a shipping notification for Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, The Couch, Killer Workout and Pro All-Star Wrestlers vs. Zombies.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 493655)

No.You're winding me up!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 07:54 PM

Please brother tell them it isn't so.

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 493690)
No.You're winding me up!

Would I lie?

Attachment 179546

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th June 2016 11:42 PM

The Indiegogo is at £72,210! Feck me!

MuckyFunster 11th June 2016 12:20 AM

The 88 Films Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 493705)
The Indiegogo is at £72,210! Feck me!

Quality! When I got home from work at 10pm it was at £67,800 or thereabouts. Massive rush in the last couple hours there!

Good news means I get Anthro as well [emoji106] I'm happy with that wee Brucey Bonus, even though loads of folk on Facebook seem to be after an extra free film for every ten grand. Chancers!

I signed up expecting 1, 2, 3, or 4 films, so to come away with 5 is a good thing, and I thank 88 for doing that, cause they definitely didn't have to.

Though, I wonder if Anthro will have a slipcase too... [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th June 2016 12:22 AM

Apparently someone snapped up a £5000 package. [emoji33]

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th June 2016 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 493692)
Would I lie?

Attachment 179546

WTF is that all about?
They taking lsd at 88 HQ? :lol: