Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

will graham 11th April 2019 10:04 PM

that's actually a pretty good line up of jackie chan films.
And the reason why hk legends went under is because they ran out of jackie chan/jet li/bruce lee/chow yun fat films. There's not much interest in Asian films outside of those.

Considering the lack of interest in the erotica films 88 have released so far I doubt they would want to bother releasing sex and zen.

wongfeihung62 11th April 2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will graham (Post 601551)
that's actually a pretty good line up of jackie chan films.
And the reason why hk legends went under is because they ran out of jackie chan/jet li/bruce lee/chow yun fat films. There's not much interest in Asian films outside of those.

Considering the lack of interest in the erotica films 88 have released so far I doubt they would want to bother releasing sex and zen.

I agree about the erotic stuff. I recently picked up the Mr Vampire box set from HK which contains parts 1 - 4 and Vampire vs Vampire. It would be nice to have a release of these as well as Magic Cop.

Graveyard 12th April 2019 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 (Post 601553)
I agree about the erotic stuff. I recently picked up the Mr Vampire box set from HK which contains parts 1 - 4 and Vampire vs Vampire. It would be nice to have a release of these as well as Magic Cop.

Love Mr. Vampire - where did you buy that box set? any good?

wongfeihung62 12th April 2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 601557)
Love Mr. Vampire - where did you buy that box set? any good?

Nice quality prints. The blu ray box is just an upscale, so it is better(and cheaper) to get the DVD box. Available for about £36 inc postage from DDDhouse.com

https://oi53.photobucket.com/albums/...psynugfxrr.jpg

https://oi53.photobucket.com/albums/...pspqncwxsp.jpg

https://oi53.photobucket.com/albums/...psnyxu9cu4.jpg

Drakie79 12th April 2019 02:06 PM

What will the cut be? Hong Kong or US?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 601536)
Trust me guys,The Protector is anything but boring!

Made by the legend that is James Glickenhaus,one of the most underated action directors of the eighties,it's a non stop action-fest on a par with The Man From Hong Kong!

I've had the German bd for a few years and have watched it on numerous occasions.

Graveyard 12th April 2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 (Post 601561)
Nice quality prints. The blu ray box is just an upscale, so it is better(and cheaper) to get the DVD box. Available for about £36 inc postage from DDDhouse.com

https://oi53.photobucket.com/albums/...psynugfxrr.jpg

https://oi53.photobucket.com/albums/...pspqncwxsp.jpg

https://oi53.photobucket.com/albums/...psnyxu9cu4.jpg

Omg! Thank you very much - just recently I was looking for this but the prices were over the moon.

And I will stop the off topic.

Lets go back to 88films :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th April 2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakie79 (Post 601578)
What will the cut be? Hong Kong or US?

Probably the same as the other blu-rays out there, the US cut in HD and the Hong Kong cut in SD. If they don’t offer the HK version in some form, they’d be mad).

John Matrix 14th April 2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 601681)
Probably the same as the other blu-rays out there, the US cut in HD and the Hong Kong cut in SD. If they don’t offer the HK version in some form, they’d be mad).

I doubt they even know about the different cuts. Think them and Eureka have just bought up all the rights that HKL had, punt them back out with supposedly new scans with the same old extras. Stick a limited bit of cardboard round it and every moron with too much money laps it up. They don't have the passion for putting them out the way HKL did. Would love to see the proof that they're new scans and not just the upscaled ones bought from Fortune Star.

As much as I like these Jackie and Sammo films getting brought out on blu ray I would love to see more of the rarer Shaw Brothers ones and the Sammo and Yuen Biao ones that are impossible to find with a decent print like

Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog
Rosa
Paper Marriage
Shanghai Encounter
The Champions
Enter The Fat Dragon
Clan of the White Lotus
Bastard Swordsman
Lady Is The Boss
Marco Polo

Susan Foreman 14th April 2019 06:23 PM

Candyman II: Farewell to Flesh | DVD Compare

The Film: B-
Video: A
Audio: A+
Extras: A
Overall: A

"An enjoyable if undeniably inferior sequel to one of the finest horror films of the '90s. Farewell to the Flesh always reminds of Halloween II (1981) in that it's an effective film but not a patch on the classic original. The transfer, both picture and sound, are as good as can be considering an older master has been used, but it is a typically excellent master. Extras are very good and ported over from the US disc.

Another winner from 88 Films."

Susan Foreman 18th April 2019 04:05 PM

"With EASTER nearly upon us, we're offering FREE SHIPPING on all orders over £10 with the discount code:

Ha88y Easter

Offers end at 12.00am on Wednesday 24th"

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th April 2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 601939)
"With EASTER nearly upon us, we're offering FREE SHIPPING on all orders over £10 with the discount code:

Ha88y Easter

Offers end at 12.00am on Wednesday 24th"

Might be worthwhile if their store prices weren't so high.

Justin101 18th April 2019 05:24 PM

Since they won’t do a deal with HMV there aren’t many other options! I don’t think there is anything I really want at the moment anyway. Perhaps Swamp Thing.

g053584398 18th April 2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 601945)
Since they won’t do a deal with HMV there aren’t many other options! I don’t think there is anything I really want at the moment anyway. Perhaps Swamp Thing.

Is that something that they've confirmed then?

Rik 18th April 2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 601945)

Cheaper to pick that up from Sainsbury's, that's what I'm gonna do next time I'm in there :nod:

Justin101 18th April 2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 601948)
Is that something that they've confirmed then?

They’ve said it a few times on bluray.com forums.

No Sainsbury’s here Rik, Liverpool is all Asda and Tesco :(

Rik 18th April 2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 601950)
They’ve said it a few times on bluray.com forums.

No Sainsbury’s here Rik, Liverpool is all Asda and Tesco :(

Really, thought a big city like Liverpool would have a Sainsbury's? :shocked:

Justin101 18th April 2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 601951)
Really, thought a big city like Liverpool would have a Sainsbury's? :shocked:

Just the little local ones that only sell sweets and beer :lol:

John Matrix 18th April 2019 06:34 PM

No deals with HMV is that including FOPP? can't remember if they are the same lot.

bleakshaun 18th April 2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 601955)
No deals with HMV is that including FOPP? can't remember if they are the same lot.

They are the same

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

John Matrix 18th April 2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 601957)
They are the same

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Ah that's a blow. Don't know what I'm going to do if Fopp don't do a nice £6, the optimum and most acceptable price for a blu ray, type sale.

88 Films pishy easter sale with free postage is as shit as Eureka's bullshit one.

g053584398 18th April 2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 601950)
They’ve said it a few times on bluray.com forums

Now that is a pisser.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th April 2019 08:51 PM

I honestly think they're making a rod for their own back,for example 'Free UK shipping on orders over £30' So in actual fact,you have to buy three films,now usually at £14.99 to get free shipping? **** off!

Just make the films £15 apiece and give us the shipping.

I've bought a 26 films from their site in the past,usually when I want a title early,but the majority I bought from HMV at a higher price as soon as they're released (Not in a 3 for 20 or a 5 for 30).I won't be anymore with p&P tactics like I mentioned above. :tsk:

I don't know the ins and outs of whether HMV have squared up what they owed,but if they alienate their loyal punters and try to milk the cash cow fans.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHyD4RNyvM

g053584398 18th April 2019 09:11 PM

I bought loads of their Blu-ray releases from HMV before they went into administration, in terms of their 5 for £30 promotions, but unless those promotions are reinstated I won't be buying too many more.

If 88 Films had promotions on their own website for similar prices to the aforementioned HMV promotions of old then I would probably buy directly from them.

J Harker 19th April 2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 601958)
Ah that's a blow. Don't know what I'm going to do if Fopp don't do a nice £6, the optimum and most acceptable price for a blu ray, type sale.

88 Films pishy easter sale with free postage is as shit as Eureka's bullshit one.

Is there a Eureka one? I can't find it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rik 19th April 2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 601971)
Is there a Eureka one? I can't find it?

Yeah, I had an email yesterday, didn't check the sale out because there's nothing I want at the minute

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/promotions/easter-sale/

J Harker 19th April 2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 601972)
Yeah, I had an email yesterday, didn't check the sale out because there's nothing I want at the minute

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/promotions/easter-sale/

Cheers Rik

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th April 2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 601958)
£6, the optimum and most acceptable price for a blu ray

This is why companies go out of business. if everyone thinks that blu-rays should be £6 all the time, they might as well not release anything, they’d lose money.

g053584398 19th April 2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 601975)
This is why companies go out of business. if everyone thinks that blu-rays should be £6 all the time, they might as well not release anything, they’d lose money.

I understand what you're saying but would 88 Films have supplied HMV with their products for a loss? Presumably even at the lower price point some profit was being made, otherwise why would they have bothered?

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th April 2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 601976)
I understand what you're saying but would 88 Films have supplied HMV with their products for a loss? Presumably even at the lower price point some profit was being made, otherwise why would they have bothered?

I’ve been told that they don’t make a profit at all selling them for £6. That’s a sale price to get people interested. 88 (or any other company who’s titles are in a sale for £6, get the whole £6, HMV will take a cut of that as well i’m afraid).

John Matrix 19th April 2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 601977)
I’ve been told that they don’t make a profit at all selling them for £6. That’s a sale price to get people interested. 88 (or any other company who’s titles are in a sale for £6, get the whole £6, HMV will take a cut of that as well i’m afraid).

I can't see them making absolutely no profit from selling a blu ray at £6 or else they wouldn't do it.

I just take offence to companies saying they're having a sale when it's really next to fu*k all of a saving. Yet the advertise it as if it's amazing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th April 2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 601977)

Is that how it works?

I thought HMV for example would purchase a series of titles from 88 and give them a flat rate for them - I don't know, say 500 copies of Swamp Thing - then HMV could do with them what they liked. Charge twenty notes, two for £25 whatever.

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th April 2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 601979)
Is that how it works?

I thought HMV for example would purchase a series of titles from 88 and give them a flat rate for them - I don't know, say 500 copies of Swamp Thing - then HMV could do with them what they liked. Charge twenty notes, two for £25 whatever.

I don’t think that’s how it works. They’ve also said that if they sell a title direct, they get all that money, whereas if the same title’s bought through HMV (and i’m assuming Amazon, etc), some of that is taken by those companies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th April 2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 601983)
I don’t think that’s how it works. They’ve also said that if they sell a title direct, they get all that money, whereas if the same title’s bought through HMV (and i’m assuming Amazon, etc), some of that is taken by those companies.

I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure exactly how it works.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 601983)

Yeah and I'm happy to buy direct from them,but hey guys throw your loyal fanbase a bone now and again!

HMV ain't getting our titles? Kerching?

Happy to pay 14.99 or 12.99 for their titles,I've done it many times just don't try to squeeze us too hard with the free p&p over 30 quid shite.....

You think we came up the Clyde in a wheelbarrow?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2019 05:32 PM

To be fair,88 aren't the only ones 'coming the ****' in the current ecconomic shithole!!

HMV now have the latest PH titles at the bargain price of £22.99 each!

Hilarious,considering they're available 500 yards along the road in Fopp for £15 apiece!

This would explain why they've plenty of them!

Nostalgic 19th April 2019 08:08 PM

Wow, £22 for a new title now?
Wonder if the premium titles will ever go 2 for 15 again then?

Back to 88, most of the stuff they put out now is barely worth a tenner, so i'll struggle to keep up with anything they put out if it's not in hmv, lol!

John Matrix 20th April 2019 11:45 AM

I wouldn't mind paying a tenner for a blu ray and buy them direct from each label to give them the support, but any more than that is really ripping this piss. Criterion and Eureka are the worst offenders. Absolute rogues.

With 88 Films I'm really only interested in their Kung Fu and Asian films these days, I've seen my share of slashers and giallos to last a life time.

Hope they continue with the 70s and 80s JC stuff and the Shaw Brothers films.

In terms of how much profit they make off of the sales. I know from working in games shops when I was younger, the stores just bought from a supplier and it was then up to them how much they charged for it. I would have thought that was the same for the likes of HMV and Fopp buying from independent labels. Once Fopp or whoever have bought their quantity from 88 then that's 88 Films got their money. Would like for someone from the likes of 88 to explain and justify why thinking free postage on offers over £30 or whatever constitutes an Easter sale.

Paul Zombie 20th April 2019 01:44 PM

I will be only be buying 88 films titles now if they have a sale on their site.
Not prepared to pay anything over a tenner for titles like Cannibal terror and Devil Hunter :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th April 2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 602009)

In terms of how much profit they make off of the sales. I know from working in games shops when I was younger, the stores just bought from a supplier and it was then up to them how much they charged for it. I would have thought that was the same for the likes of HMV and Fopp buying from independent labels. Once Fopp or whoever have bought their quantity from 88 then that's 88 Films got their money. Would like for someone from the likes of 88 to explain and justify why thinking free postage on offers over £30 or whatever constitutes an Easter sale.

I thought this was how they worked ^.

The other scenario is probably 88 and a woe is me tale to compensate for no HMV deal. :lol:

platostotal 20th April 2019 10:06 PM

Also the rights to the titles have to be clawed back, especially if 88 have to borrow to obtain the rights, then the quality control and fixes if the transfer is a "pup", but as a disc in a case yeah I'd like to see a lower price point than the seemingly industry standard £14.99.