Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

JAMIOUSE 29th March 2019 11:59 AM

The goal for the campaign has changed, it’s now Beatrice Cenci up for restoration first and 11 Days second. Getting donating people!

Justin101 29th March 2019 12:34 PM

I feel like they should have stuck to their guns as there might not be a final push towards the 2nd goal finish because now it's for the lesser of two films.

While the first scheme was successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams, I think that the finished products left a bitter taste in the mouths of a lot of backers and they're never going to replicate that success here! Once bitten, twice shy...

Mojo 29th March 2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 600697)
The goal for the campaign has changed, it’s now Beatrice Cenci up for restoration firsht and 11 Days second. Getting donating people!

I think that makes sense. Getting Fulcis CENCI restored on BD would be far preferable to 11 DAYS... which seemed like an odd choice to me.

monkeypedro 29th March 2019 01:30 PM

Going to wait to see if they reach the 2nd goal as i don't fancy paying £40 + £5 postage just for Beatrice Cenci.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 600700)
Going to wait to see if they reach the 2nd goal as i don't fancy paying £40 + £5 postage just for Beatrice Cenci.

Exactly. £45 is a hell of a lot for one disc.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 600697)
The goal for the campaign has changed, it’s now Beatrice Cenci up for restoration first and 11 Days second. Getting donating people!

It would appear the campaign isn't going as well as hoped. From saying the incentive was purely the film restorations they are now asking what people would like as perks.

Gone from this -

Quote:

PERKS

Ok, this time we're keeping this very simple and totally focused on the films being remastered, so no Slasher Specials, Postcard sets or lurid T-Shirts. Hope you appreciate the purity of it.
To this -

Quote:

Would you like to help the campaign more? Maybe you could suggest some new perks that might tempt you? T-Shirts, posters, Tote bages etc?

Demoncrat 30th March 2019 09:53 PM

:laugh:

Ah, that's quite hamusing ....

Beatrice Cenci though ..... :pray:

TJ Doc 1st April 2019 01:43 PM

Perhaps they should add a £20 perk where you only get the first two films (no mystery titles) without slipcovers, booklets or special thanks.

Susan Foreman 1st April 2019 03:16 PM

ANOTHER update:

"We have decided that if we hit our Fixed Goal of £12,500 (which we NEED to do to make any of this happen) we will send all contributors Blu-rays of both Beatrice Cenci and 11 Days, 11 Nights. Stretch goals have been reduced slightly in ambition too.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed already and we hope you share this campaign with everyone you know as we really want to make this happen.

Quality will be great for both as the negatives are in good condition but all money over and above goal 1 will get spent on manual cleanup."

Demoncrat 1st April 2019 04:20 PM

:laugh:
Sold then ...

Susan Foreman 9th April 2019 04:16 PM

Looks like they have already exceeded their target, with 12 days still to go

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 601408)
Looks like they have already exceeded their target, with 12 days still to go

Still some way to go before the releases get extras or slip covers though which is a shame for those who signed up early thinking they'd get restored fully loaded blus.

Mojo 9th April 2019 05:19 PM

They can save their money on slip covers - I’ve never seen the appeal of them.

Susan Foreman 10th April 2019 11:05 AM

Coming soon from 88Films

Susan Foreman 10th April 2019 11:07 AM

Coming soon from 88Films

Susan Foreman 10th April 2019 11:09 AM

Coming soon from 88Films

Justin101 10th April 2019 11:10 AM

Killer Crocodile was supposed to be the mystery third film but I think they have realised that third stretch goal is not going to happen!

Not heard of Paganini Horror, but it looks like the right kind of 80's trash for me :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 601451)
Killer Crocodile was supposed to be the mystery third film but I think they have realised that third stretch goal is not going to happen!

Not heard of Paganini Horror, but it looks like the right kind of 80's trash for me :D

I'd forgotten who directed Paganini Horror (Cozzi) so looked on IMDB where the film has a cracking score of 3.8 / 10. :lol:

Rik 10th April 2019 11:18 AM

I've never seen it, but I remember that cover being used for a Dark Side issue in the early 90's :nod:

Justin101 10th April 2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 601453)
I'd forgotten who directed Paganini Horror (Cozzi) so looked on IMDB where the film has a cracking score of 3.8 / 10. :lol:

One of the reviews on iMDB is entitled Paga-NO :lol:

Mojo 10th April 2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 601454)
I've never seen it, but I remember that cover being used for a Dark Side issue in the early 90's :nod:

It’s pretty terrible, but I’ll be buying it anyway :D

monkeypedro 10th April 2019 12:23 PM

Paganini Horror is pretty bad as bought and watched the German dvd in 2017 and one film i had trouble making it to the end, nice artwork though. I can't remember Killer Crocodile at all as watched many years ago and wouldn't be suprised if 88 Films release the sequel as well. I had been wanting to watch Karate Warrior for years and recently found it on Youtube, it is a fairly decent although very cheesy Karate Kid rip off and of the announcements it is the one i am looking forward to most. Hopefully they will release the whole Karate Warrior collection.

Will i buy the movies? Yes as already have virtually all of the Italian Classics but going to wait till they are in the sales or someone sells them off cheap.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th April 2019 08:00 PM

Those German hartbox transfers were ****ing abysmal mate!
As were most of them!

Graveyard 10th April 2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 601460)
I had been wanting to watch Karate Warrior for years and recently found it on Youtube, it is a fairly decent although very cheesy Karate Kid rip off and of the announcements it is the one i am looking forward to most. Hopefully they will release the whole Karate Warrior collection.

I found the movies on youtube, watched just a couple of days ago - if they get all the collection out maybe I will buy it, but only for a decent price.. not worth even £5 :pound:

keirarts 11th April 2019 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 600520)
The thing is is a blu ray player doesn't cost fifty notes it costs nearer two hundred.

Who wants one that limits you to UK releases? I certainly don't.

Plus the fact it won't play a fifth of my dvds either.

I got a multi region blu-ray player £130. I paid over the odds as well.

Susan Foreman 11th April 2019 02:00 PM

More Jackie Chan announcements are imminent

Mojo 11th April 2019 05:08 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Kung fu films are boring as shit? :behindsofa:

Rik 11th April 2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 601517)

Nope, other than Enter the Dragon (which I’ve loved since I was a kid), I’ve no interest in them

Drakie79 11th April 2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Why they play safe with releases is beyond me, plenty of good exploitation out there from Hong Kong, not to mention endless lists from Japan. I've said it before but I'll do it once more, release Bloody Parrot and The Longest Nite, may be We're Going To Eat You.... and a box set of The Men Behind The Sun films....uncut....(lol can you imagine!!!)

Susan Foreman 11th April 2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 601511)

Crime Story

Susan Foreman 11th April 2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

The Protector

Susan Foreman 11th April 2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

The Canton Godfather

Susan Foreman 11th April 2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Dragons Forever

gag 11th April 2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakie79 (Post 601519)
Why they play safe with releases is beyond me, plenty of good exploitation out there from Hong Kong, not to mention endless lists from Japan. I've said it before but I'll do it once more, release Bloody Parrot and The Longest Nite, may be We're Going To Eat You.... and a box set of The Men Behind The Sun films....uncut....(lol can you imagine!!!)

I have all the Men behind the sun films uncut , been a while since watched them tho .

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th April 2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Releasing a load of Kung Fu films that nobody bought put HK Legends out of business in the 00's.

I have no interest either.

Drakie79 11th April 2019 07:21 PM

If they were bring out CAT III stuff I think people would be excited, but as stated it's all the same old stuff, all very safe. Sex and Zen, Ebola and others, this is what people want.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2019 08:16 PM

Trust me guys,The Protector is anything but boring!

Made by the legend that is James Glickenhaus,one of the most underated action directors of the eighties,it's a non stop action-fest on a par with The Man From Hong Kong!

I've had the German bd for a few years and have watched it on numerous occasions.

gag 11th April 2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakie79 (Post 601527)
If they were bring out CAT III stuff I think people would be excited, but as stated it's all the same old stuff, all very safe. Sex and Zen, Ebola and others, this is what people want.

Exactly , also obscure stuff as well or titles that haven't even been released from vhs to any format .

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2019 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THE ANACONDA QUADRILOGY! :lol:

Alien eat your heart out!

WAKEY WAKEY HANDS OFF SNAKEY!

wongfeihung62 11th April 2019 10:00 PM

Wow a lot of hate for kung fu films on here. Personally I love my HK stuff , be it kung fu, horror, Cat 3 etc. There is still a market for them here in the UK and we should be thankful that companies such as 88 and Eureka are releasing these titles.
With the umpteenth release of The Beyond imminent and shit like 11 days ,11 nights getting released, it is nice that they are catering for other markets as well. I would love to see some obscure HK stuff like Spooky spooky and Haunted cop shop released as well, but more mainstream JC sells more units which may hopefully lead to some smaller, obscure titles in the future.