Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Rob4 22nd February 2024 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 696291)
It's not great, is it? That said, I'm still probably going to buy it!:lol:

Unless it's a significant upgrade picture-wise I won't be bothering. The BU will do just fine.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2024 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 696293)
Unless it's a significant upgrade picture-wise I won't be bothering. The BU will do just fine.

I have the Blue Underground DVD and will probably update for better picture quality, lossless/uncompressed audio, and a few new extra features:
“Nazi Zombies on a Budget" 2014 interview with producer/cinematographer Reuben Trane (21:14)
“Notes for the Undead" 2014 interview with composer Richard Einhorn (13:46)
“Sole Survivor" 2014 interview with actress Brooke Adams (7:18)

The 2003 commentary by Ken Wiederhorn, make-up artist Alan Ormsby, and filmmaker Fred Olen Ray has been ported over from the DVD release, as has the "From flipper to shock wave" interview with Luke Halpin.

Rob4 22nd February 2024 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 696300)
I have the Blue Underground DVD and will probably update for better picture quality, lossless/uncompressed audio, and a few new extra features:
“Nazi Zombies on a Budget" 2014 interview with producer/cinematographer Reuben Trane (21:14)
“Notes for the Undead" 2014 interview with composer Richard Einhorn (13:46)
“Sole Survivor" 2014 interview with actress Brooke Adams (7:18)

The 2003 commentary by Ken Wiederhorn, make-up artist Alan Ormsby, and filmmaker Fred Olen Ray has been ported over from the DVD release, as has the "From flipper to shock wave" interview with Luke Halpin.

My BU BR has significantly better picture quality than the BU DVD which I also had back in the day.

I suspect 88's transfer is the same as the BU BR. As I understand it, the OCN is lost for this film so BU's elements were the best it's likely to get.

If better elements have been found then I'm in as I really like the movie, but a few new extras are not going to tempt me.

Dave 22nd February 2024 11:06 PM

The 88 Films Thread

I’ll be sticking with BU’s 2014 BD. The 88 disc offers absolutely nothing new in terms of extras, just ports everything from the BU BD across. The transfer will be exactly the same. If elements were found 88 would have been shouting it from the rooftops instead of the advertised High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray Presentation in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd February 2024 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 696313)
My BU BR has significantly better picture quality than the BU DVD which I also had back in the day.

I suspect 88's transfer is the same as the BU BR. As I understand it, the OCN is lost for this film so BU's elements were the best it's likely to get.

If better elements have been found then I'm in as I really like the movie, but a few new extras are not going to tempt me.

I don't have the Blue Underground Blu-ray release, just the DVD. It would be different if I already had Shock Waves on Blu-ray but, as I don't, this is a tempting upgrade for the better AV quality.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd February 2024 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Release artwork for Hannie Caulder.

Wonder why the artist substituted someone else's face in place of Raquel's.

Dave Boy 23rd February 2024 01:12 PM

What the frack are 88 up to with these covers? :loco:

peter alex 23rd February 2024 02:04 PM

it looks more like her than the other one did because she looked cockeyed and her mouth was at a odd angle in the other one so this new one is far far better.

Rob4 23rd February 2024 05:08 PM

It's basically a badly painted reproduction of one of the publicity stills from the movie - very lazy from 88.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th February 2024 03:26 PM

The 88 Films release of the forthcoming Gator has an extra called Burt Reynolds: Back to the Bayou part 2.

On which release is Back to the Bayou part 1?

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2024 03:56 PM

The 88 Films Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 696388)
The 88 Films release of the forthcoming Gator has an extra called Burt Reynolds: Back to the Bayou part 2.

On which release is Back to the Bayou part 1?

They got the extra from Kino. Part 1 is on Kino's release of White Lighting (the first Gator Mclusky movie)......which 88 aren't releasing.

I questioned them what was the point of releasing Gator if they couldn't get the first one.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th February 2024 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 696389)
They got the extra from Kino. Part 1 is on Kino's release of White Lighting (the first Gator Mclusky movie)......which 88 aren't releasing.

I questioned them what was the point of releasing Gator if they couldn't get the first one.

Thanks, that's interesting. One to give amiss to then i think unless you say it's a good film in it's own right.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2024 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 696391)
Thanks, that's interesting. One to give amiss to then i think unless you say it's a good film in it's own right.

The film is good. I'm hoping somene else here has White Lightning.

Trashforcash 12th March 2024 08:02 PM

I've just had an email from Amazon informing me my Pete Walker pre-order has been bumped from April 2024... to Jan 2025!

Guys, if the release is vapourware, just front it out. I ordered this in 2023!

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th March 2024 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trashforcash (Post 696868)
I've just had an email from Amazon informing me my Pete Walker pre-order has been bumped from April 2024... to Jan 2025!

Guys, if the release is vapourware, just front it out. I ordered this in 2023!

That's ridiculous. Like you i've had it on preorder for getting on for a year now.

Yep, got the same email.

Count Dracula has also been put back to Jan 25.

The moral of this story is never preorder anything by 88 Films unless it's Hong Kong related because you'll be lucky to get it.

Susan Foreman 12th March 2024 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trashforcash (Post 696868)
I've just had an email from Amazon informing me my Pete Walker pre-order has been bumped from April 2024... to Jan 2025!!

But they are only doing it to ensure that the release contains the best version of the films and extras as humanly possible

Y'see - they are only thinking of you: their loyal customers !

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th March 2024 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 696873)
But they are only doing it to ensure that the release contains the best version of the films and extras as humanly possible

Y'see - they are only thinking of you: their loyal customers !

Should have thought of that before announcing it 18 months ago

Justin101 12th March 2024 10:03 PM

They won't have any loyal customers left, if Jess Franco's Count Dracula really has been pushed back 10 months I'll be importing the Severin version.

Mojo 13th March 2024 03:44 PM

I really like Pete Walker?s movies - FRIGHTMARE is in my top ten favourite horrors. I sold my two Redemption Blu Ray sets when I heard 88 were bringing these out. I?m beginning to wish I hadn?t.

Susan Foreman 22nd March 2024 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"The Flesh and Blood Show is finally readying up for print after lots of delays. Thanks for your patience. New release date is 3rd June. Check out the cardboard sample print we hade made up for an idea of the size this beast will be."

Justin101 22nd March 2024 08:05 PM

I'll believe it when I see it, but I will be buying it :D

J Harker 22nd March 2024 10:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked Humanoids From the Deep and Galaxy of Terror up from HMVs 88 promotion (2 for ?15).
Actual films are upstairs and I'll disturb the missus fetching them hence stock photos from Amazon.
Got my eye on a few more. Can anyone offer a thought on The Torture Chamber of Dr Sadism and Night of the Demon?
Attachment 250414Attachment 250415

nosferatu42 23rd March 2024 01:56 PM

Torture chamber of Dr Sadism is kind of a 60's Euro version of a Corman Poe film, it's got a torture chamber and creepy murals like pit and the pendulum, it's atmospheric and also has a really nice Bava style scene where people are in a carriage and the road ahead has corpses hanging from the trees. I really like it.

Night of the Demon (the Bigfoot Video Nasty film) is fun, with the creature ripping out entrails and waving them about, it's no masterpiece but I like it as well.

I have old copies of both and would like to upgrade them but haven't really got spare money currently. If I did I would get them.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2024 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 697141)
Picked Humanoids From the Deep and Galaxy of Terror up from HMVs 88 promotion (2 for ?15).
Actual films are upstairs and I'll disturb the missus fetching them hence stock photos from Amazon.
Got my eye on a few more. Can anyone offer a thought on The Torture Chamber of Dr Sadism and Night of the Demon?
Attachment 250414Attachment 250415

Yep, both very good.

I really like Torture Chamber. I've reviewed it here a couple of times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 688851)
The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism (1967)

Count Regulor is brought back to life after earlier being hung, drawn and quatered and continues his quest for eternal youth by draining the blood of virgins. As he attempts to ensnare his 13th and final victim, played by Karin Dor. The heroic square jawed Lex Barker is luckily on hand to defeat the evil Count.

Another extremely loose adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's classic story The Pit and the Pendulum, this time from Germany.

For a film that's not widely known or seen there are a succession of notable set pieces, in particular the deliriously disturbing nightmarish coach journey which travels eerily creepy forests, the trees garlanded with corpses and limbs protruding from trunks and branches and the torture chamber itself populated with the bloodless, frozen, naked bodies of the previous twelve victims of the Count.

The horse drawn carriage journey to the Count's castle takes up a good quarter of the films running time, and whilst this could have dragged, in this film its the most memorable part due to the jaw dropping imagery. The hanging corpses in the mist are genuinely frightening. Director Harald Reinl's camera slowly guides past them allowing us the coachman's view of proceedings, no wonder he dies of a heart attack midway through the journey.

Christopher Lee is the film's 'name' but unfortunately he's not in it much other than being hung drawn and quartered at the start he's not in it again until he's revived during the last half hour.

The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism aka The Snake Pit and the Pendulum is a good film, perhaps not one of the great Gothic horrors, but the surreal nightmarish coach journey will stay in your head long after the film finishes, more so than the story itself.

I'd only seen this previously a couple of times on a grey market dvd and it looked quite poor, however the new 88 Films Blu-ray looks superb and the 4K transfer brings it's Gothic splendors to vivid life.

Recommended.

J Harker 23rd March 2024 10:59 PM

Sold! I'll get myself down there tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd March 2024 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 697163)
Sold! I'll get myself down there tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Night of the Demon is a low budget gore fest.

I notice Beware My Brethren and A Candle for the Devil are also in the offer. Two other good ones.

peter alex 26th March 2024 07:53 AM

as anyone had problem with their release of evil dead trap cause the disc played fine cause I watched the interview and the trailer and when I tried the storyboards it paused toward the end of it and my player made the sound of it trying to loading and now none of my disc play it just says no disc.

Dave 27th March 2024 03:07 PM

The 88 Films Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter alex (Post 697229)
as anyone had problem with their release of evil dead trap.

Plays perfectly and without issue on the main feature and special features for me. A very welcome improvement over the Unearthed BD which has major subtitle synching issues in certain scenes and it was never corrected or addressed (I'll still hold onto it for the additional commentary tracks though).

Susan Foreman 2nd April 2024 02:16 PM

"As stated when we announced it, the replacement programme for Hell of the Living Dead and House on the Edge of the Park is now closed.

If you already applied for it but have not yet received your discs you can still chase this up with us but if you've applied already then please don't as we won't make any exceptions.

We are a tiny company and although it's completely our fault this has taken up a huge amount of our time and caused multiple release date delays so we need to draw a line under it which we planned to do all along as stated in our announcement.

We hope you enjoyed these releases...... eventually!"
That second paragraph doesn't make a lot of sense!

Justin101 2nd April 2024 02:18 PM

They?ve just missed the word not, it happens to the best of us.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd April 2024 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 697482)
If you already applied for it but have not yet received your discs you can still chase this up with us but if you've applied already then please don't as we won't make any exceptions.
That second paragraph doesn't make a lot of sense!

It's one where you know what they mean, but it seems they've missed the negative from the sentence.
If you already applied for it but have not yet received your discs you can still chase this up with us but if
you haven't applied already then please don't as we won't make any exceptions.

Rob4 24th April 2024 05:35 PM

Got The Beast in the Cellar today.

Looks pretty nice but the booklet pages are joined at the top :rolleyes: