Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 02:54 PM

No idea. I think the idea of an RRP is silly, especially when a disc is first released. They should say "this is the price, end of".

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 02:58 PM

As far as I'm aware, most releases have three prices:
– a dealer listing price, which is how much a retailer pays for the unit
– a recommended retail price, which is how much the distributor thinks the retailer should charge and
– the actual price the customer pays

This may not be the case with all labels, but it's how it is laid out on the press releases from Eureka, for example.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436766)
As far as I'm aware, most releases have three prices:
– a dealer listing price, which is how much a retailer pays for the unit
– a recommended retail price, which is how much the distributor thinks the retailer should charge and
– the actual price the customer pays

This may not be the case with all labels, but it's how it is laid out on the press releases from Eureka, for example.

For example, a DLP could be £12.56, the RRP is £19.99 and the price on the shelves is £14.99. The customer thinks the price has been reduced by £5, the retailer makes a profit of £2.43 and, if the unit costs £8 in total, then the label makes £4.56 for each one sold to HMV/Amazon etc.

I'm pretty sure someone in the industry would be up to give a better example, or even correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 03:10 PM

88 Films Upcoming releases

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436768)
For example, a DLP could be £12.56, the RRP is £19.99 and the price on the shelves is £14.99. The customer thinks the price has been reduced by £5, the retailer makes a profit of £2.43 and, if the unit costs £8 in total, then the label makes £4.56 for each one sold to HMV/Amazon etc.

I'm pretty sure someone in the industry would be up to give a better example, or even correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

Bloody hell! That makes the £7.99 price HMV sell 88's discs for, even more ludicrous!

DayzeUK 22nd February 2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436768)

Based on what has been posted.

That would mean 88 films are selling blurays to HMV for £1 odd if we are to believe that they only make £1 odd off each sale.

Or, worst deal ever, they sell to HMV who then set the price and send £1 odd per copy sold to 88 films.

It just doesn't make sense how HMV can sell so low but 88 Films dont get a proper share. Surely 88 Films make their money before HMV even receive their copies to sell.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 436769)
Bloody hell! That makes the £7.99 price HMV sell 88's discs for, even more ludicrous!

I have no idea if those figures are quoted are accurate now, but they seem to be about what I remember from the Masters of Cinema releases from several years ago.

You could probably knock £7-£8 off and change the numbers slightly – I was only getting a 'for example', rather than a definitive explanation of how the industry works.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 04:15 PM

I always thought the retailer ordered X amount of discs at a set fee payable to the distributor, say £5 a disc, then sell them for whatever they wanted.

I can find out as i know someone who ran an indie record shop for several years before he was sold the business.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436773)
I always thought the retailer ordered X amount of discs at a set fee payable to the distributor, say £5 a disc, then sell them for whatever they wanted.

I can find out as i know someone who ran an indie record shop for several years before he was sold the business.

That's the thing, I'm sure there are different ways different companies do it. I just want them to sell American Ninja ar a reasonable price so they can get a decent profit if they put them all in individual blu-ray cases :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 436778)
That's the thing, I'm sure there are different ways different companies do it. I just want them to sell American Ninja ar a reasonable price so they can get a decent profit if they put them all in individual blu-ray cases :lol:

With your cover designs. ;)

I read your post yesterday. :lol:

platostotal 22nd February 2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436773)

Yep, sounds spot on, just like if you buy something it's then up to you what you sell it for, I'll tempt fate and say the retailer makes a bigger profit margin than the supplier, so if HMV sell a BD for £7.99 or £17.99 the amount of profit will always be biased in their favor.