Like Tree1395Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2024, 06:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
As I'm partial to a bit of neo-noir, this sounds like a good one for me.
I really like it. A good mix of violence, Melanie Griffith stripping and Tom Berenger and Billy Dee Williams hating on each other.

The Cinema Club dvd i have looks really good as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Fear City (1984)

A definite step up from the likes of the grimy and dark Driller Killer, this third feature from Abel Ferrara is bathed in cool nigh time blues and greens, although this is still a fine piece of exploitation in it's own right.

Starring Tom Berenger, Billy Dee Williams and a scene stealing early performance from future star Melanie Griffith as a stripper in a Manhattan club where the girls are being hunted down by a serial killer.

Sexy and visceral in it's portrayal of violence, this is my favourite of Ferrara's seventies and eighties output.
g053584398 and Rob4 like this.
Old 25th January 2024, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I really like it. A good mix of violence, Melanie Griffith stripping and Tom Berenger and Billy Dee Williams hating on each other.

The Cinema Club dvd i have looks really good as it is.
I've got the Cinema Club DVD as well, was that version missing anything because I didn't mind it.
Old 25th January 2024, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I've got the Cinema Club DVD as well, was that version missing anything because I didn't mind it.
Apparently so, not that i'd noticed. I checked the scene at 21 mins earlier and it's the US version i have.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=962085
Old 2nd February 2024, 01:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Released 4th March 2024 Fear City

Taking place in Ferrara’s trademark nightmarish vision of New York City, Fear City delves into the seedy underbelly of the city in the 80s. Filmed on location in the sleazy dive bars and back alleys of Times Square, this thrilling, erotic neo-noir is a tale of a brutal killer targeting the city’s strippers and the former boxer and cop out to catch them.

There's a psychopath on the loose in Manhattan who is stalking and mutilating beautiful strippers employed by booking agents Matt Rossi (Tom Berenger) and Nicky Parzeno (Jack Scalia). But when the madman targets Matt’s ex-girlfriend, Loretta (Melanie Griffith), he must confront his own violent past to stop the sadist.

After the success of The Driller Killer (1979) and Ms. 45 (1981) Ferrara returned to his native New York to direct Fear City. The film was originally produced by 20th Century Fox, which allowed for a cast of 80s stars including Tom Berenger (Platoon), Melanie Griffith (Body Double) and Billy Dee Williams (Empire Strikes Back) to be assembled. They soon decided there was too much nudity, sex, violence and hard drug use for their liking and moved the film on to the independent Aquarius Releasing. After heavy cuts by the MPAA Fear City finally received its premiere in 1984.

Title 034 on the 101 Films Black Label, this limited-edition release includes both the theatrical and uncut versions of Fear City and a commentary with film critic Kevin Lyons. Enclosed in a limited-edition slipcase with brand new artwork, this title also features a limited-edition booklet with new writing on the film: ‘Seeing Red: A Neo-Noir Guide’ by Rich Johnson and ‘Returning to Fear City’ by Brad Stevens.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Uncut version of Fear City with SD inserts (97 Minutes)
Commentary with film critic Kevin Lyons
Extended trailer
Limited edition booklet: Includes ‘Seeing Red: A Neo-Noir Guide’ by Rich Johnson and ‘Returning to Fear City’ by Brad Stevens
It's now available to preorder for £16.99 – I have ordered it as a blind buy because it sounds like something I'd appreciate and enjoy.

https://101-films-store.com/collecti...dition-blu-ray
Old 2nd February 2024, 03:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's now available to preorder for £16.99 – I have ordered it as a blind buy because it sounds like something I'd appreciate and enjoy.

Anything by Abel Ferrara is something that always go well with us Cult Addicts
Old 2nd February 2024, 04:00 PM
Cultist

it was passed uncut in 2022 for a release from 101 films so I wonder why it wasn't release it in 2022 or 2023.
Old 2nd February 2024, 05:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter alex View Post
it was passed uncut in 2022 for a release from 101 films so I wonder why it wasn't release it in 2022 or 2023.
I'm still waiting for the Blue Underground release of 'Snuff', which was passed by the BBFC in 2003!
ramses likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd February 2024, 07:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:

If I remember right from Brad Stevens excellent book The Moral Vision there was a bit of producer interference but it's still a pretty good film. Now we need a Ms 45 special edition. The US release looks good but the extras are definitely lacking. And some kind of release of the 2 and a half hour cut of Cat Chaser as well. It'd probably be an extra on a blu ray release cos I think it's only on an old VHS Ferrara saved. Quite a few Ferrara films never got releases here. 'R Xmas, New Rose Hotel, Go Go Tales and his first feature Nine Lives of a Wet Pussy. I have a dvd release of Nine Lives that is the worst transfer I've ever seen. It looks to be from a 9th Gen VHS. The VS blu ray looks absolutely amazing in comparison. To be honest I didn't think much of Hotel and Go Go Tales but if you want to see Asia Argento get off with a dog Go Go Tales has that for you.
Old 3rd February 2024, 06:40 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:

Nice, I will buy on the black label sale a couple of months later
g053584398 likes this.
Old 1st March 2024, 12:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Mansion of the Doomed (1976) (Limited Edition) (Blu-ray)
?16.99 GBP

Released 6th May Pre-order now.
Title number 035 on our Black Label.

This Limited Edition version includes a slipcase and a booklet.

101 Films presents gruesome exploitation shocker Mansion of the Doomed (1976), available in the UK for the very first time. This limited-edition release includes a brand-new documentary on producer Charles Band's Full Moon Features, an Interview with editor Harry Keramidas, artwork from the original UK Video nasty release and a booklet featuring brand new essays on the film by Chris Alexander and Andy Marshall-Roberts.

Title 035 on the 101 Films Black Label, this limited-edition release includes a brand-new documentary produced exclusively for this release on Charles Band's Full Moon Features. Enclosed in a limited-edition slipcase featuring the original artwork from the confiscated Video Nasty release of the 80s. This release also features a limited-edition booklet with brand new writing on the film 'On Mansion of the Doomed' by filmmaker and critic Chris Alexander and 'The Eye is blind if the mind is absent: The legacy of ocular violence & video nasties within Mansion of the Doomed' by writer Andy Marshall-Roberts.

Richard Basehart (Being There, TV's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) stars as the maniacal Dr. Leonard Chaney, a brilliant surgeon who compulsively kidnaps people and rips out their eyeballs, dumping their bleeding bodies into a filthy basement cage. His masterplan? To transplant these ill-gotten orbs into the skull of his daughter, who herself was blinded in a tragic accident years before.

SPECIAL FEATURES

The Charles Band Empire - A new documentary on the career of horror legend Charles Band.
Cutting Teeth - Editor Harry Keramidas on 'Mansion of the Doomed'.
Limited edition booklet: Includes 'On Mansion of the Doomed' by filmmaker and critic Chris Alexander and 'The Eye is blind if the mind is absent: The legacy of ocular violence & video nasties within Mansion of the Doomed' by writer Andy Marshall-Roberts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mansion of the Doomed 2D.jpg (91.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Mansion of the Doomed 3D.jpg (97.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Massacre Mansion.jpg (94.1 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!