Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree276Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2024, 12:10 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
More often than not blockbusters are reduced in price a few months after they get released so i just pick them up then, somewhere in that £5-10 range.

That's with current or recent films.

The older films that came out at the birth of Blu-ray some are getting scarce and some are simply out of print aren't they other than the extortionate second hand market?

But like you say (And depending on the company, as i think Disney and Fox are no more as far as physical media goes) many will get re-releases down the line. Be it StudioCanal titles like Cutthroat Island, Basic Instinct, Total Recall etc, etc or oddities like The Thomas Crown Affair remake and Miami Vice, recently reissued by 88 Films.

Many of those early Blu's are debatable anyway. Touchstone somehow managed to only put Dolby Digital soundtracks on their supposedly HD discs so films like The Rock and Con Air lack a true HD soundtrack....meanwhile there's the dreaded DN-R which plagued films like Predator.
Yeah, I remember with DVD there were these non-anamorphic releases, and I still have some in my colllection. Most get corrected later on, but unfortunately not before we buy them. Nowadays the bad transfers and format errors are easier to spot because there's so much info out there, I rarely buy a BR before checking DVDBeaver or DVDcompare. But even then, you can still buy the wrong edition: DVDbeaver almost certainly reviewed an US edition of Devil Girl from Mars and the error is probably only in the UK edition, because there is no mention of the audio décalage. But generally as a buyer, I feel "safer". I started buying Blu-rays relatively recently -- recent fatherhood meant less disposable income, which is now becoming rather more... disposable -- which means I missed on those early DNR horrors (shudder!).

I can wait for a new release. The old masters of the blockbusters are finally getting put to pasture, and they're being remastered in UDH from new source materials, which also means a new master for HD/Blu-ray, as I hope is the case for The Crow.

Like this? Share it using the links below!