Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2011, 11:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone remember the Zombie Flesh Eaters controversy in the early 90's when VIPCO released the cut "uncut" version on VHS - I remember for months afterwards, Dark Side's letters column was bombarded with folks bitching about VIPCO's delicately worded notice on the back sleeve about the cuts...
Old 25th October 2011, 11:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Anyone remember the Zombie Flesh Eaters controversy in the early 90's when VIPCO released the cut "uncut" version on VHS - I remember for months afterwards, Dark Side's letters column was bombarded with folks bitching about VIPCO's delicately worded notice on the back sleeve about the cuts...
I think that's the real reason why people hate Vipco so much.

This is what it said on the back cover:

Quote:
'Zombie Flesh Eaters' has been listed as a banned video and been unavailable since 1984. This is the original cinema version and has NOT been cut by the British Board of Film Classification for home video use. It has now been passed as suitable for persons over the age of eighteen. However, some may still consider the content to be unsuitable viewing material, and find scenes to be disturbing or offensive. IF IN DOUBT, DO NOT VIEW
Wes likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 25th October 2011, 11:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

That's the one Pete, many thanks....

This is the original cinema version and has NOT been cut by the British Board of Film Classification for home video use

What a spin !
Old 25th October 2011, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

They changed it slightly for the later W/S release:

Quote:
'Zombie Flesh Eaters' has been listed as a banned video and been unavailable since 1984. This is the original cinema version and has NOT been further cut by the British Board of Film Classification for home video use. It has now been passed as suitable for persons over the age of eighteen. However, some may still consider the content to be unsuitable viewing material, and find scenes to be disturbing or offensive. IF IN DOUBT, DO NOT VIEW
On the back of the Widescreen tape it claims it's the first ever fully widescreen release of a horror film!

Quote:
For the first time ever you can enjoy the full atmosphere and excitement of Lucio Fulci's classic zombie movie, ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS - shot in super wide Cinemascope and presented here in it's original screen ratio. There's never been a fully 'widescreen' version of a horror movie, let alone one previously banned! Here for the first time is ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS in all it's widescreen glory.

Old 25th October 2011, 11:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
On the back of the Widescreen tape it claims it's the first ever fully widescreen release of a horror film!
I wouldn't swear to it, but I think Brent Walker Video put out a widescreen Inseminoid back in 1980s...
Old 25th October 2011, 11:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I've still got that on VHS, complete with the booklet showing all the other titles. I remember all the controversy in DS over it, but at the time nobody else were releasing genre titles so we made do with them

Sometimes, dead is better
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th October 2011, 11:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've still got that on VHS, complete with the booklet showing all the other titles. I remember all the controversy in DS over it, but at the time nobody else were releasing genre titles so we made do with them
Agreed... before VIPCO put out The Beyond on tape, the only alternative (besides finding a pre-cert or importing a Dutch copy) was the Elephant Video version which were pre-cut to allow a smooth ride through the offices of the BBFC, so Rik's point is well made... I would even say the 90's VIPCO revival paved the way for Redemption (if I have my chronology right?)
Old 25th October 2011, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I wouldn't swear to it, but I think Brent Walker Video put out a widescreen Inseminoid back in 1980s...
I think you're right. Redemption were also releasing a lot of stuff in widescreen around that time too.

Incidently, Vipco later released a W/S tape of INSEMINOID.

Old 25th October 2011, 11:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post

Sometimes, dead is better
Mine never came with a booklet

Quote:
Agreed... before VIPCO put out The Beyond on tape, the only alternative (besides finding a pre-cert or importing a Dutch copy) was the Elephant Video version which were pre-cut to allow a smooth ride through the offices of the BBFC, so Rik's point is well made... I would even say the 90's VIPCO revival paved the way for Redemption (if I have my chronology right?)

They were the only option for me as I never saw any Redemption titles in my local video shop, it was all Vipco stuff. They were my horror 'education' and introduced me to so many brilliant films - I owe my love of Italian horror to them. It's why I have such a soft spot for the company.

Old 25th October 2011, 11:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
They were my horror 'education'.
Oh absolutely... The VIPCO tape of Zombie Flesh Eaters was my jumping off point into European Cult Cinema, and life was never quite the same after that. It was was a BC / AD moment in my early film watching life...

By the way, I used to love the trailer on the ZFE tape of Psychic Killer - it was just a fantastic cut-together trailer... And Shogun Assassin has a great trailer too...

Like this? Share it using the links below!