Like Tree3575Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2016, 11:14 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Upcoming?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 22nd July 2016, 06:48 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Upcoming?
Indeed.

I'm in for Cry of a Prostitute, Happy Hell Night and Jungle Holocaust. Some of the others I'm interested in are coming from 88 so will await their versions instead. I hope 88 have Cut and Run as that would be a nice fit for their Italian line... if not, I'll have to cough up the excess dough for CR's release.

According to Walt from Scorpion, the long awaited House on the Edge of the Park will be available to pre-order from Diabolik soon... maybe even today or early next week so keep your eyes peeled.
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:04 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Indeed.

I'm in for Cry of a Prostitute, Happy Hell Night and Jungle Holocaust. Some of the others I'm interested in are coming from 88 so will await their versions instead. I hope 88 have Cut and Run as that would be a nice fit for their Italian line... if not, I'll have to cough up the excess dough for CR's release.

According to Walt from Scorpion, the long awaited House on the Edge of the Park will be available to pre-order from Diabolik soon... maybe even today or early next week so keep your eyes peeled.
Have you seen Happy Hell Night, B_E?

EDIT - Yes you have, you saw it recently, it was in your last post on things you'd seen.

It's really not worth $40 or whatever you'd have to pay for it.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 22nd July 2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:16 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen Happy Hell Night, B_E?

It's really not worth $40 or whatever you'd have to pay for it.
Yes! I first watched it last week (posted it in the 'what have you seen thread') and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it - it's a '90s 'slasher' after all...

I would rarely blind-buy a Code Red Blu especially thanks to the prices, which are only $20-$25 plus shipping (thank Cthulhu for YT!), but with the exchange rate they work out about £20 odd each from Diabolik inc. shipping. Not massively expensive, but considering how many 88, Arrow, Eureka, Kino, Olive, Blue Underground etc. titles you could buy, purchasing a lot of them can often be an expensive endeavor and sometimes you do feel a little ill when you order a lot of titles at once!
keirarts and Graeme73 like this.
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:22 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes! I first watched it last week (posted it in the 'what have you seen thread') and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it - it's a '90s 'slasher' after all...

I would rarely blind-buy a Code Red Blu especially thanks to the prices, which are only $20-$25 plus shipping (thank Cthulhu for YT!), but with the exchange rate they work out about £20 odd each from Diabolik inc. shipping. Not massively expensive, but considering how many 88, Arrow, Eureka, Kino, Olive, Blue Underground etc. titles you could buy, purchasing a lot of them can often be an expensive endeavor and sometimes you do feel a little ill when you order a lot of titles at once!
I have the Anchor Bay region 1 dvd and there's no way i'd even think of upgrading. I only paid about £3 from AYM. Sadly it's now deleted hence why Bill has acquired the rights.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:30 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I have the Anchor Bay region 1 dvd and there's no way i'd even think of upgrading. I only paid about £3 from AYM. Sadly it's now deleted hence why Bill has acquired the rights.
Yeah, unfortunately thanks to the decline of physical media these niche labels may be the last resort for fans who want to buy these titles. I can't see many (if any) companies picking up the rights to a lot of these films once they go OOP.
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:34 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately thanks to the decline of physical media these niche labels may be the last resort for fans who want to buy these titles. I can't see many (if any) companies picking up the rights to a lot of these films once they go OOP.
See. You should have bought a more varied collection of films on dvd rather than just pick the same old, same old, each time Arrow released it.

Just kidding!
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
See. You should have bought a more varied collection of films on dvd rather than just pick up Arrow's umpteenth release of The Beyond.

Just kidding!
I was already buying Blu-ray once Arrow released their umpteenth release of The Beyond!

I had a fairly extensive DVD collection but only started really buying them in 2004 and at that time I was a student so was very limited on space (plus I used to have lots of other things to spend my disposable income on - not so much the case now). I only started buying a lot of DVDs when I left Uni in 2006 and got my own place. I started buying Blu in 2009/2010 so I only really had 3 good years of solid DVD buying hence the many gaps! (that, and when I first started buying my main resource for picking up titles was HMV).

I've been steadily buying Blu for about 6 years now and my collection is almost at my DVD collection's peak pre-HD. The quality of my Blu collection now compared to my DVD collection back then I'd say is much better though (I'm sure many would argue otherwise!). I do still buy DVDs of course but generally only TV shows and that very rare film I can't see getting the HD treatment.

It's probably very stupid / short-sighted of me, but most of the time I'd rather wait it out to see if a title got the HD treatment (and pay more for it ) than pick it up for a couple of quid on DVD (although that in itself is becoming rarer as titles go OOP and start to fetch silly money, meaning that sometimes a release with a brand new HD transfer is cheaper to buy than some old long OOP DVD - just because it's OOP... which is nuts). Also, I've got a ridiculously large wish-list as it is and it's all about quality over quantity for me now - again, I'm sure people viewing my BD collection would beg to differ!
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:03 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm still happy to pick up oddities and blind buys although i don't pay much for them unless i'm sure or at least hopeful i'll like them. High Rise and The Witch spring to mind as blind buys in this category.

The good thing is i can probably get ten items for the cost of a Code Red blu.
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:10 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I'm still happy to pick up oddities and blind buys although i don't pay much for them unless i'm sure or at least hopeful i'll like them. High Rise and The Witch spring to mind as blind buys in this category.

The good thing is i can probably get ten items for the cost of a Code Red blu.
I also still blind buy (although nowhere near as much as I used to!), but Code Red Blu-ray blind-buying can be an expensive game of Russian roulette. At least the titles hold their re-sale value; not that I've ever gotten rid of a Code Red title (aside from DVD -> BD upgrades).

I generally check out films I'm not sure about via Love Film and Youtube etc. which have saved me countless times blind-buying tat that I'd then have the hassle of re-selling at a loss. It does work both ways though, as my 'to-buy' list has also grown a lot thanks to checking out some good stuff in advance of purchasing that I now want to own.
keirarts, nosferatu42 and Graeme73 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!