LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2018, 06:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Hammer House of Horror: The Complete Series..

I know its a good series but is it worth the upgrade to blu ray...???

Attachment 208170
Definitely. The colours, contrast, and detail are so much better, the sound is much clearer, and the episodes are in the right order!
Mojo, g053584398, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 24th August 2018, 06:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Definitely. The colours, contrast, and detail are so much better, the sound is much clearer, and the episodes are in the right order!
When you say right order do you mean transmission order?

It's odd because with a lot of Network box sets the order on the discs isn't the same as transmission order. Jason King, which i've just finished watching, being a case in point.
g053584398 and keirarts like this.
Old 24th August 2018, 06:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

It's odd because with a lot of Network box sets the order on the discs isn't the same as transmission order. Jason King, which i've just finished watching, being a case in point.
I assumed the transmission order is that which the makers intended and if there was any interference or mistakes by ITV in 1980, they would have been rectified for this release.

I'm still slowly working my way through Tales of the Unexpected and some of the episodes are in a different order to the transmission dates. Unlike Firefly, which has to be seen sequentially, the order on Tales of the Unexpected and Hammer House of Horror isn't that important because they are standalone episodes, but I still like to see them in the order the studio intended to be watched.
g053584398 and keirarts like this.
Old 24th August 2018, 06:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

I also imagine that back in the day,with the regional differences and schedules of ITV they did as they pleased...

Old 24th August 2018, 06:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I also imagine that back in the day,with the regional differences and schedules of ITV they did as they pleased...
Exactly.

Nos was way out in saying the way the makers intended. Each region did just as they liked when it came to anthology style shows.

My most accurate guess would be if a series was made by Thames for example, i'd go with their transmission order if it was different to say Granada's running order, other than that it's guess work.
Old 24th August 2018, 06:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Exactly.

Nos was way out in saying the way the makers intended. Each region did just as they liked when it came to anthology style shows.

My most accurate guess would be if a series was made by Thames for example, i'd go with their transmission order if it was different to say Granada's running order, other than that it's guess work.
I can't remember which tv show I was watching..(definately an oldie)but the dvd boxset definately seemed in a different order to how I remember watching it....damned if I can remember,saying that even when ITV 2 or 3 repeat old shows you can never assume its in the order the makers had intended...

Old 24th August 2018, 07:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I can't remember which tv show I was watching..(definately an oldie)but the dvd boxset definately seemed in a different order to how I remember watching it....damned if I can remember,saying that even when ITV 2 or 3 repeat old shows you can never assume its in the order the makers had intended...
This Jason King one i've just finished, as with most Network series, has a brief synopsis for each episode and also says the first UK transmission date. Several episodes in the set are not in transmission order which is slightly odd and made me wonder if they were in the set in order of being filmed. Director Cyril Frankel complained in the documentary that some episodes when shown had more or less the same plot thanks to ITV networks interference rather than being kept weeks apart like they should have been.

Going off the documentaries once a series got to the US networks it was just a free for all regarding transmission.

Incidentally Jason King wasn't picked up by any US networks, thought mainly because ITC went cheap and filmed it on 16mm so it looked shite in comparison to most other series at the time especially the glossy American productions. They were right. It does look shite, even compared with sister series Department S which was filmed on 35mm.
Old 24th August 2018, 07:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
This Jason King one i've just finished, as with most Network series, has a brief synopsis for each episode and also says the first UK transmission date. Several episodes in the set are not in transmission order which is slightly odd and made me wonder if they were in the set in order of being filmed.

Going off the documentaries once a series got to the US networks it was just a free for all regarding transmission.

Incidentally Jason King wasn't picked up by any US networks, thought mainly because ITC went cheap and filmed it on 16mm so it looked shite in comparison to most other series at the time especially the glossy American productions. They were right. It does look shite, even compared with sister series Department S which was filmed on 35mm.
I mean with alot of 1970's comedies that get repeated it makes no difference story wise in which order there repeated as you never really have a story arc (there are a few exeptions like Porridge and The Good Life,but most shows were just 30 mins of racial slurs,double-entendre's and Mrs Slocombes Pussy)...the only difference would the actors haircuts might be different with every series...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 24th August 2018, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I mean with alot of 1970's comedies that get repeated it makes no difference story wise in which order there repeated as you never really have a story arc (there are a few exeptions like Porridge and The Good Life,but most shows were just 30 mins of racial slurs,double-entendre's and Mrs Slocombes Pussy)...the only difference would the actors haircuts might be different with every series...
Again a good point. None of the ITC shows like King, Department S, The Saint and so on needed any sort of proper order although you'd struggle a bit with The Champions if they showed the first two proper episodes mid series.
Old 24th August 2018, 07:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Again a good point. None of the ITC shows like King, Department S, The Saint and so on needed any sort of proper order although you'd struggle a bit with The Champions if they showed the first two proper episodes mid series.
I think The Persuaders! would suffer a little if showed out of order as there is a definate story arc with the two leads and there bro-mance.

Like this? Share it using the links below!