LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2018, 07:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
I also imagine that back in the day,with the regional differences and schedules of ITV they did as they pleased...
I didn't take the regional factor into consideration and only looked at the published broadcast dates on the IMDb and Wikipedia, so that's a very good point.
Old 24th August 2018, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense:

Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense....

Does anyone actually remember this,Im sure i watched when shown on telly but I cannot remember any episodes...

Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense was a short-lived (one season) anthology television series from Hammer Studios. Though similar in format to the 1980 series Hammer House of Horror, the Mystery and Suspense series had feature-length episodes, usually running around 70 minutes without commercials. The series was a co-production by Hammer Studios with 20th Century Fox Television (as was the 1968 anthology series Journey to the Unknown), and is known in the United States as Fox Mystery Theater. Unlike 1980's Hammer House of Horror, all the episodes (with the exceptions of "Czech Mate" and "The Corvini Inheritance") had American actors as either the leads or in key roles. It was first aired in the UK by ITV in 1984, though was not simulcast and was shown in different timeslots (and a different running order) throughout the various ITV regions.

Old 24th August 2018, 07:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense....

Does anyone actually remember this,Im sure i watched when shown on telly but I cannot remember any episodes...
Yes, i have the box set.

Some very good episodes. Whilst one or two are more comfortable in Thriller territory some are out and out horror.

And the Walls Came Tumbling Down is a superb occult horror with manifestations in an old church on a building site. It's my favourite from the whole 'Hammer House of...' series
Old 24th August 2018, 07:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, i have the box set.

Some very good episodes. Whilst one or two are more comfortable in Thriller territory some are out and out horror.

And the Walls Came Tumbling Down is a superb occult horror with manifestations in an old church on a building site. It's my favourite from the whole 'Hammer House of...' series
I remember reading at the time,that they were veering away from horror angle to a more Tales of The Unexpected style stories...

Old 24th August 2018, 07:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I remember reading at the time,that they were veering away from horror angle to a more Tales of The Unexpected style stories...

You probably recall the episode Child's Play in which a family are trapped in their house by a grey wall with no windows or means of escape. The denouement is a classic. Once seen never forgotten.
Old 24th August 2018, 07:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You probably recall the episode Child's Play in which a family are trapped in their house by a grey wall with no windows or means of escape. The denouement is a classic. Once seen never forgotten.
So not a Chucky prequel then...?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 24th August 2018, 08:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
So not a Chucky prequel then...?
No.

I see it's not going cheap either. £70+ for half a series with the complete box set unavailable.

I would hope Network might get it at some point although the series was released by DD Entertainment so perhaps Icon now have it (They released a bunch of DD titles again a few years back - X The Unknown, The Abominable Snowman etc.

Hammer House of Horror was originally released by Carlton. Network seem to have all their stuff.
Old 27th August 2018, 11:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default hammered

Any how the box set arrived...yah me...box sets are like wagon wheels (the confectionarty not the actual wheel)..in that they seemed to look smaller than you imagined....down side is i can't eat the box set...oh well best just watch i suspose....
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 27th August 2018, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I would love to see the Hammer Mystery and Suspense again, especially the Czech mate one with Susan George in Prague
Old 27th August 2018, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm going to watch Both Of Horrors and Mystery and Suspense during September as a build up to my October Halloween Marathon.

Like this? Share it using the links below!