All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2010, 06:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldgit View Post
I went to Poundland in Trowbridge, Wiltshire today. The shelves were full again, mainly with ones that had not been there the previous week. Included are a number of titles not on the list. I was able to buy all of them, even though some seem to be on a withdrawn list.

AMB3990 Atom Age Vampire
AMB4011 Horrors of Spider Island
AMB4014 The Monster Maker
AMB4015 The monster Walks
AMB4016 The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues

The till lady did have difficulties as the till kept bleeping at her. she had to scan some of them several times before it would take the sale. I realised afterwards that she had only wanted £7 for 12 DVDs. Clearly some problem with the DVDs or the tills but I wasn't going to argue.
These DVDs are just jumping off the shelves and being replaced with new titles so I intend to go back every few days to see if further stock is being released.
Well worth the money.
Damn why did you have to tell me that? There was me, happy in the knowledge that I had the complete set other than the recall ones. Now I need to trawl and hope to get these too

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 20th October 2010, 10:40 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Damn why did you have to tell me that? There was me, happy in the knowledge that I had the complete set other than the recall ones. Now I need to trawl and hope to get these too
By the looks of it, these 5 are recall ones. If you check Tanzi's post here (last picture), 4 of those titles are the one's Tanzi picked up, without a BBFC certificate on them (ie, recalled titles). Also, hence why grumpyoldgit was charged £5 less - these 5 are the recalled titles and did not scan at the till.

grumpyoldgit, is it possible you could check the covers of these 5 titles and let us know if they contain a BBFC certificate or not?
Old 20th October 2010, 11:07 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

So, from the way I see it so far, the complete, saleable list is of 20 titles (confirmed by Mire Mare's email to AMP).
The full list of the 20 saleable titles is as follows:

AMB3989 - The Bat
AMB3991 - Plan 9 From Outer Space
AMB3992 - House on Haunted Hill
AMB3993 - Attack of the Crab Monsters
AMB3994 - The Giant Leeches
AMB3995 - The Thing From Another World
AMB4007 - The Little Shop of Horrors
AMB4008 - King of the Zombies
AMB4009 - The Brain That Wouldn't Die
AMB4010 - Fiend Without A Face
AMB4012 - The Terror
AMB4013 - White Zombie
AMB4017 - Indestructible Man
AMB4018 - The Wasp Woman
AMB4019 - The Killer Shrews
AMB4025 - Doomed To Die
AMB4026 - The Fatal Hour
AMB4027 - Invisible Ghost
AMB4028 - Creature From The Haunted Sea
AMB4029 - Screaming Skull

And so far, we have photo evidence (thanks to Tanzi) of 4 DVDs which were recalled due to missing BBFC certs, with a 5th recalled title to be confirmed by grumpyoldgit:

AMB3990 Atom Age Vampire (recalled - to be confirmed)
AMB4011 Horrors of Spider Island (recalled - no cert)
AMB4014 The Monster Maker (recalled - no cert)
AMB4015 The monster Walks (recalled - no cert)
AMB4016 The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues (recalled - no cert)
Old 20th October 2010, 07:22 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

After reading through this thread again today, I thought "hey, what the hell? I might try and collect these myself". So I decided to go into Wrexham today and get a hold of what I could find. I picked up 12 of the 20 titles:

The Bat, House on Haunted Hill, Attack of the Crab Monsters, The Giant Leeches, The Little Shop of Horrors, King of the Zombies, Fiend Without A Face, The Terror, White Zombie, Indestructible Man, The Wasp Woman, The Killer Shrews.

I looked at pretty much every DVD in the Halloween section and in the normal DVD section, hoping that at the back of a shelf I may just be lucky to stumble across one or two recalled ones still on the shelf , but no luck there

...Now to try and find the other 8...may have to end up getting someone on here to help me out
Old 24th October 2010, 08:43 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdawg View Post

grumpyoldgit, is it possible you could check the covers of these 5 titles and let us know if they contain a BBFC certificate or not?
Agreed. I have 22 of the DVDs and only the five recall ones do not have a BBFC certificate on the spine and the back. I was back at my Poundland on Friday but there were no new titles. With Halloween only a few days away I will revisit on the off chance.
Old 25th October 2010, 08:01 PM
Cultist

It must be said that the quality of the two Cayman Classics I have watched is far from brilliant. On the back of the case there is a caveat which reads: 'This DVD may highlight the limitations of the original film recording or the source material ' (my italics).

For instance The Brain That Wouldn't Die goes blank for about a minute at about the 50+ minute mark. Exactly like the copy freely and legally available on Archive.org

Poking about (and not too deeply) on Archive.org it's easy to find the longer, 83 minute version too.

(I did have URLs for both versions but as I have not yet reached the required number of posts to allow me to insert URLs here, you'll just have to track them down yourselves. )
Old 25th October 2010, 09:39 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
It must be said that the quality of the two Cayman Classics I have watched is far from brilliant. On the back of the case there is a caveat which reads: 'This DVD may highlight the limitations of the original film recording or the source material ' (my italics).

For instance The Brain That Wouldn't Die goes blank for about a minute at about the 50+ minute mark. Exactly like the copy freely and legally available on Archive.org

Poking about (and not too deeply) on Archive.org it's easy to find the longer, 83 minute version too.

(I did have URLs for both versions but as I have not yet reached the required number of posts to allow me to insert URLs here, you'll just have to track them down yourselves. )
I think I read somewhere that most, if not all, are public domain. There are a couple of collections on Amazon for 50 or 100 horror films, where many of the same films are included, which you can pick up for not much more than £10. With Z films, I think we have to accept that no-one will be going to the effort of cleaning them up or searching for better prints. To my mind, part of the attraction is that the film is on really crap stock. I have been watching similar films on the Showcase channel recently and again, the quality of the print is really dire. It's all part of the fun.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:23 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldgit View Post
I think we have to accept that no-one will be going to the effort of cleaning them up or searching for better prints.
Take your point but I least expect someone to have watched it to make sure it was all there.

I have a couple of the Mill Creek box sets you refer to and on the whole they are pretty terrible too.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:01 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

I still need to get my hands on an Atom Age Vampire.
Old 4th November 2010, 03:50 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I'm trying to collect the whole 20 and still need to get my hands on the following 5:
AMB3991 - Plan 9 From Outer Space
AMB3995 - The Thing From Another World
AMB4026 - The Fatal Hour
AMB4027 - Invisible Ghost
AMB4029 - Screaming Skull

Anybody able to help me out, before this collection dissapears from Poundland?

Also, if anyone can get a hold of any of the recalled ones for me, that would be great :
(so far the list is):
(all recalled - no certs)
AMB3990 Atom Age Vampire
AMB4011 Horrors of Spider Island
AMB4014 The Monster Maker
AMB4015 The monster Walks
AMB4016 The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues

Any help is much appreciated!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!