Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

plasterface 8th October 2014 08:39 PM

hmv

it's pot luck what Hmv get in, no night of the comet, but got the visitor, wonder if melting man will be in next week

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th October 2014 08:50 PM

Yeah smaller stores only seem to get certain titles.

mr 420 9th October 2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 420581)

Wow!! When I first joined CL, the three films that I said definitely needed uk releases were Contraband, The Mad Foxes and the above. As the song goes, two out of three ain't bad. :nod::cool:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th October 2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 420665)
Wow!! When I first joined CL, the three films that I said definitely needed uk releases were Contraband, The Mad Foxes and the above. As the song goes, two out of three ain't bad. :nod::cool:

Not bad at all!

I'd like to see Mad Foxes get some love, although I can't really see any UK company releasing it in the foreseeable future, unfortunately. :(

Hopefully someone like Code Red, Scorpion, or Synapse will release it in the US. I think it has recently received a German/Austrian release with a Rick Melton artwork slapped on the front, however I have no idea what the quality of the disc is like.

mr 420 9th October 2014 10:35 AM

Yeah, that Austrian disc already goes for silly money, BE. I really don't understand what the problem is with the rights on this one. After all, Diethrich was quite happy for it to get an Austrian release. Perhaps he doesn't want any third party releases?, but on typing that, what about the Anchor Bay Franco box set that was doing the rounds a few years ago?

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2014 11:14 AM

This is mildly amusing.

Arrow want you to pay for them to land in the USA.

When this happens all people will do is moan about what is being released over there compared to back home. There's evidence of this already on here. :lol:

mr 420 9th October 2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 420674)
This is mildly amusing.

When this happens all people will do is moan about what is being released over there compared to back home. There's evidence of this already on here. :lol:

I hope they don't do a Mondo Macabro and go exclusively R1. :eek::happy:

BAKA 9th October 2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

This is mildly amusing.

That's not really true though. They're going to the US whether the crowd funding is successful or not.

Quote:

Indiegogo is not only a good way for us to gauge your interest – after all North America is a fiercely competitive market – but also for us to have the funds available to pick up more titles for release without there being a big gap in our schedule and have you get bored and forget about us. Without Indiegogo we would need to wait til our first releases go on sale before we can then see what appetite is like for a new label and the kinds of titles we release with the approach we take. Indiegogo enables us to weigh all that up in advance meaning we can continue at our usual pace – which in the UK is about three to four releases a month.
They've also implied that they will be going back to their roots, releasing more Italian films. With two markets to recoup the costs they're able to restore the titles themselves, rather than rely on the often poor quality masters they've been given in the past from Italian licensors. Considering some of your comments in recent years about not liking the more mainstream releases from Arrow and preferring their earlier output, this should be a positive for you?

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 420676)
They've also implied that they will be going back to their roots, releasing more Italian films. With two markets to recoup the costs they're able to restore the titles themselves, rather than rely on the often poor quality masters they've been given in the past from Italian licensors. Considering some of your comments in recent years about not liking the more mainstream releases from Arrow and preferring their earlier output, this should be a positive for you?

Very much so. :nod:

BAKA 9th October 2014 03:15 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...32a2f3d1d0bfb6

Not sure if that will show if you're not on Facebook. Should be shipping next week Arrow are saying. :woot: Hopefully they ship out the orders from the older site ASAP. This is the last outstanding item from the previous site? It has to be, surely. Looking forward to checking that booklet too.

I wonder if they'll have The Girl Who Knew Too Much at the London Comic Con. I'm getting into London on the last day of the event, and am wondering whether to bother to check it out before heading to my hotel.

JAMIOUSE 9th October 2014 07:13 PM

I hope they ship first to us who bought it back in May 2013 it's an annoying amount of time to wait for the release. If Arrow want to keep their customers buying direct from them they need to start playing the game and fullfilling old orders first and not peoples who just ordered like two days ago.

Arrow seem to be having issues with distribution too, Amazon always had their new releases on the day of release and would often ship on a Friday or Saturday. These days Amazon don't get stock until Tuesdays despite Arrow showing us stock has arrived three weeks previously.

Vipp 9th October 2014 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
EDIT: I just saw one on Amazon.co.uk for £34.99! WTF!

I hate to de-rail the thread. just a quick question...

has anyone seen this for sale? and maybe where i can pick on up? Thanks. :)

platostotal 9th October 2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 420776)
EDIT: I just saw one on Amazon.co.uk for £34.99! WTF!

I hate to de-rail the thread. just a quick question...

has anyone seen this for sale? and maybe where i can pick on up? Thanks. :)

I've seen that in HMV for sure(£24.99), you can also get the older version of the box at places like CEX for £10 or less.

EDIT: since Arrow lost the rights to Dawn might not be available as a new item.

Sobral 10th October 2014 03:06 PM

Via email:
Due to some severe faults at the manufacturing plant, all of our copies of Stray Cat Rock: The Collection have had a 15 cert printed on them instead of the accurate 18 and some copies are also missing the collectors booklet.
To ensure that all copies are corrected, we have had to recall all of the box sets so a new sleeve can be reprinted and the booklets reinserted. Unfortunately this means that the release date has had to be pushed back to October 27th.
We can only apologise that this release has been fraught with delays and rest assured we are trying our hardest to ensure that this situation is rectified as soon as possible.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th October 2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobral (Post 420840)
Via email:
Due to some severe faults at the manufacturing plant, all of our copies of Stray Cat Rock: The Collection have had a 15 cert printed on them instead of the accurate 18 and some copies are also missing the collectors booklet.
To ensure that all copies are corrected, we have had to recall all of the box sets so a new sleeve can be reprinted and the booklets reinserted. Unfortunately this means that the release date has had to be pushed back to October 27th.
We can only apologise that this release has been fraught with delays and rest assured we are trying our hardest to ensure that this situation is rectified as soon as possible.

An expensive error.

keirarts 10th October 2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 420841)
An expensive error.

Is it a separate company that prints the sleeves ect?

If so hopefully it won't be at Arrows expense. Either way, someone's having a bad day at work.

keirarts 10th October 2014 04:59 PM

Quick question.

Just had someone lay into me for my review of Shivers on blu. Apparently it's cut? I never noticed anything when watching it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th October 2014 05:04 PM

Some speculation here: Shivers (David Cronenberg) Blu-ray from Arrow - Page 4 - Blu-ray Forum

keirarts 10th October 2014 05:09 PM

Blimey. Sounds like an issue with the source materials. Did not notice.

keirarts 10th October 2014 05:28 PM

Arrows response....

"The Shivers restoration was carried out by TIFF (the Toronto International Film Festival) and supervised and approved by David Cronenberg. As such this four-to-five second discrepancy between the film as it appears on our release and how it played in cinemas is likely to have been the result of damaged materials and/or approved by Cronenberg. We are, however, investigating this matter thoroughly and will get back with a full answer as soon as we can."

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2014 05:40 PM

A few don't seem to rate the transfer either.

Andra Jai 10th October 2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 420860)
Arrows response....

"The Shivers restoration was carried out by TIFF (the Toronto International Film Festival) and supervised and approved by David Cronenberg. As such this four-to-five second discrepancy between the film as it appears on our release and how it played in cinemas is likely to have been the result of damaged materials and/or approved by Cronenberg. We are, however, investigating this matter thoroughly and will get back with a full answer as soon as we can."

It's Zombie Flesh Eaters all over again with another missing 4-5 seconds

trebor8273 10th October 2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 420880)
It's Zombie Flesh Eaters all over again with another missing 4-5 seconds

did shivers have any boats in it? If I did I get the feeling arrow just don't like boats.

keirarts 10th October 2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 420862)
A few don't seem to rate the transfer either.

Well that's bollocks. It was never going to look jaw dropping due to the nature of the production but its way better than any version i've seen.

From the sounds of things though this one is genuinely not arrows fault as they bought it fully restored. ZFE was their own restoration so should have been spotted but this was not in house.

Michael Brooke 10th October 2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 420890)
From the sounds of things though this one is genuinely not arrows fault as they bought it fully restored. ZFE was their own restoration so should have been spotted but this was not in house.

Just to be strictly accurate, the ZFE error was caused by a mistimed bit of seamless branching at the authoring stage - the restored master that James White signed off on was perfect from the start. Obviously, it should have been spotted in QC regardless, but it was an encoding rather than a restoration issue.

And Shivers is, as you say, down to the supplied master, which was accepted in good faith. In retrospect, it could have been checked against a DVD, but it seemed reasonable to assume that a very recent restoration supervised by the film's director would be exactly as he intended. This may still be the case, of course: we don't currently know if it was intentional on Cronenberg's part, a reluctant but deliberate omission due to the condition of existing materials (this was apparently a bit of a restoration challenge since the original negative vanished years ago), or simply an oversight.

But one upshot of this is that this morning I personally checked Arrow's HD master of Rabid against a NTSC DVD, and the timing of both was identical - even by the 90th minute there was no slippage at all: cuts and lip-sync still matched perfectly. So you can completely relax about that one.

As for the look of the Shivers transfer, to me it pretty much perfectly matched my memories of seeing it in 35mm. This is, inescapably, a very low-budget film ($179,000) shot by an extremely inexperienced director (Cronenberg had never worked with a professional crew before), whose original camera negative has long since vanished. In other words, it never stood a chance of being Blu-ray demonstration material, but if you watch it in motion the new transfer's virtues are pretty obvious. And the framing and grading are to Cronenberg's own specifications.

keirarts 10th October 2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 420892)
Just to be strictly accurate, the ZFE error was caused by a mistimed bit of seamless branching at the authoring stage - the restored master that James White signed off on was perfect from the start. Obviously, it should have been spotted in QC regardless, but it was an encoding rather than a restoration issue.

And Shivers is, as you say, down to the supplied master, which was accepted in good faith. In retrospect, it could have been checked against a DVD, but it seemed reasonable to assume that a very recent restoration supervised by the film's director would be exactly as he intended. This may still be the case, of course: we don't currently know if it was intentional on Cronenberg's part, a reluctant but deliberate omission due to the condition of existing materials (this was apparently a bit of a restoration challenge since the original negative vanished years ago), or simply an oversight.

But one upshot of this is that this morning I personally checked Arrow's HD master of Rabid against a NTSC DVD, and the timing of both was identical - even by the 90th minute there was no slippage at all: cuts and lip-sync still matched perfectly. So you can completely relax about that one.

As for the look of the Shivers transfer, to me it pretty much perfectly matched my memories of seeing it in 35mm. This is, inescapably, a very low-budget film ($179,000) shot by an extremely inexperienced director (Cronenberg had never worked with a professional crew before), whose original camera negative has long since vanished. In other words, it never stood a chance of being Blu-ray demonstration material, but if you watch it in motion the new transfer's virtues are pretty obvious. And the framing and grading are to Cronenberg's own specifications.

Personally I love what's been done with shivers, thanks for correcting me on the ZFE issue. I never expected a great deal from the blu-ray of shivers and i'm really happy with the end result.

Linbro 11th October 2014 01:57 AM

Sounds like a more important omission than the boat footage, going by what others are posting on bluray.com. Maybe a bit of Cronenberg tinkering?

Antropophagus 11th October 2014 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 420892)

Thanks for the info but what will Arrow do with this issue? Any ideas? My copy is on the way to me now so I can't cancel it. Will there be a replacement programme?

Michael Brooke 11th October 2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antropophagus (Post 420911)
Thanks for the info but what will Arrow do with this issue? Any ideas? My copy is on the way to me now so I can't cancel it. Will there be a replacement programme?

As a freelancer who was only peripherally involved with this release, I'm afraid I can answer that.

Michael Brooke 11th October 2014 06:00 AM

"Can" = "can't". Bloody autocorrect.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th October 2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

This is mildly amusing.

Arrow will only (on very rare occasions if they think it's special enough) release something on one side of the pond. They've said that they will release stuff after the move that they can get the licence for both territories. i.e, if something is already out on BD in America, and Arrow don't think it's a special enough title, they won't pursue it for the UK. Christ, that strategy would've covered half the titles they've already released! :lol:

Andra Jai 11th October 2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antropophagus (Post 420911)

I'd be very surprised if they do a replacement for this one as surely that would require a complete remaster of the source material again if the missing footage is only available in a different print.

With ZFE it just took some tinkering to seamless branching to make the required changes which was probably a lot easier and a lot less expensive to fix.

Hope I'm completely wrong though

Andra Jai 11th October 2014 11:21 AM

Does anyone know if Arrows upcoming Rabid will see a steelbook release which could look fantastic with the original artwork?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th October 2014 05:00 PM

:rolleyes:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th October 2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 420971)

:rolleyes:

Already posted here, mate.

tele1962 12th October 2014 07:17 PM

Looks like there may be a problem with missing footage in the Shivers release. Arrow are looking into to it but I think this time we are stuck with it. :(

Andra Jai 12th October 2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 421118)
Looks like there may be a problem wit missing footage in the Shivers release. Arrow are looking into to it but I think this time we are stuck with it.:(

So do I, however I just got through watching this and if I hadn't read about the missing footage I would never have noticed so personally I'm not too bothered, although I can see how anyone familiar with the missing footage would be pretty pissed.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th October 2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 421120)
So do I, however I just got through watching this and if I hadn't read about the missing footage I would never have noticed so personally I'm not too bothered, although I can see how anyone familiar with the missing footage would be pretty pissed.

I watched it last night and didn't notice the missing footage either. I also thought the picture quality was very good. Shows what I know!

tele1962 12th October 2014 08:13 PM

This post from member Projectscoop over on Blu Ray.Com:

" This version of Shivers released by Arrow is not uncut when compared to the Image Entertainment dvd release. I received my Arrow blu ray of Shivers today and compared it to the Image dvd. The sequence where Dr. Linsky (Joe Silver) is at Nicholas Tudor's aparment is shorter on the Arrow version as described in the two instances below:

Missing on the Arrow version is Dr. Linksy pushing Mr. Tudor against the refrigerator and saying "Get off me".

The scene where Mr. Tudor is shown shoving the parasites into Dr. Linsky's mouth has been shortened by about 4-5 seconds on the Arrow version. What is missing is the beginning of this scene which shows Tudor pulling the parasites off of Dr. Linsky's face and trying to put them in his own mouth. Tudor then takes the parasites from his mouth and is shown shoving them into Dr. Linsky's mouth. This missing 4-5 seconds has a big impact in my opinion, as it always stuck in my mind and really put the scene over the top.

This all came about when Shivers premiered on Netflix a few days ago before I received my Arrow blu ray. After watching it on Netflix, it seemed like something was missing in the scene with Tudor and Dr. Linsky. After a long search I found my Image Entertainment dvd of Shivers. I viewed the scene in question and my suspicions were confirmed. Since the Netflix version had the Lionsgate logo at the beginning I was concerned that the Arrow version (which I knew had the Lionsgate logo) would be the edited version also. And of course it was.

Without regard to picture quality comparisons between the Image dvd and Arrow blu ray, I feel cheated on content. I paid a lot in USD for the steelbook from Arrow and did not get the uncut version. A subsequent search on Movie-Censorship.com addressed the same missing seconds comparing German and Dutch VHS versions. I also checked out dvdcompare.net and it states the Arrow blu ray is uncut. I disagree and would like to know if Arrow can gain access to the cut scenes and reissue the blu ray using an exchange program for those who have already purchased it. "

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th October 2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 420975)
Already posted here, mate.

Seen it.
Thought I'd add my sarcasm....