Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

fuzzymctiger 3rd October 2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 419802)
Interesting. Whilst rights will surely be an issue on many of their existing titles (as they themselves allude to) I really hope that this doesn't slow their UK operation in any way, and that release date delays are not even more of an issue as they are already.

I guess with them getting a foot-hold in the USA, this may see them potentially acquire more titles (being able to make deals with US rights holders) and release titles region free, what with having an operation in both region A & B land.

After a lot of clarification and stuff after my original being upset, heres the conclusion I've reached:

Discs will be identical for both regions
No UK or US exclusive titles past current licenses (unless its super special)

downsides?
I believe this will inevitably lower the amount of per month releases, due to dual region rights, and other hassles
This also means stuff that would be tied up in the US but free in the UK (Shivers for example) won't see a release due to dual region being impossible.

Very complicated, but as long as there's no US exclusive stuff for the most part, im pretty pleased

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 419803)
Well I certainly wish them luck, I hope they don't go the way of Severin in the UK or worse still NoShame.

Arrow's films are not nearly as niche or obscure enough for them to go down the NoShame route. Plus, with Severin they were a US company trying to get a foothold in the UK, which to be fair to them was a miniscule market compared to the US and perhaps not really worth investing heavily in.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 419804)
Very complicated, but as long as there's no US exclusive stuff for the most part, im pretty pleased

I wouldn't mind if there was... being multi-region and all.

What is stopping Arrow licensing Body Double from Sony in the US once TT's deal expires and producing a superior encoded disc with some great artwork and a booklet for instance?

BAKA 3rd October 2014 09:54 AM

I'm a little mixed on the whole thing. On one hand I think it will be very handy having a US base of operations. I think it could lead to some obscure US licenses, that it would have been more of a headache to deal with previously. But on another level, I worry we'll see them concentrate on titles they can get rights to in both the US and UK, which could see us missing out on many potential gems.

I can see it becoming confusing too. The boundaries between territories on the internet, and on social media aren't obvious. If someone in my feed gets a postcard for Stalker, and it ends up being a US only release I will be distraught. Well, until I remember I'm region free and can pick it up anyway... I can see a lot of the more unhinged people online, directing a lot of hate to Arrow, if a certain title they want has been picked up, but not for the territory they're in.

J Harker 3rd October 2014 10:09 AM

Thats the bit I don't like. It sounds like if they can't get US right then they just won't bother. So anything that's already licensed by a US distributor will be a no go for Arrow UK.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 419806)
I wouldn't mind if there was... being multi-region and all.

What is stopping Arrow licensing Body Double from Sony in the US once TT's deal expires and producing a superior encoded disc with some great artwork and a booklet for instance?

I hope this means Arrow have a bit more clout in the marketplace and, with their new and improved QC team, can become a global player, buying rights for films like Body Double and doing a better job than Twilight Time did, possibly making it a complimentary release to that one (further damaging the bank balances of people who can't help double dipping!).

I see it as exciting news and, for those who are multi-region, hopefully access to even more titles with excellent AV quality, extra features and artwork.

BAKA 3rd October 2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 419812)
I hope this means Arrow have a bit more clout in the marketplace and, with their new and improved QC team, can become a global player, buying rights for films like Body Double and doing a better job than Twilight Time did, possibly making it a complimentary release to that one (further damaging the bank balances of people who can't help double dipping!).

See things like this would be great, but it doesn't sound like it's going to work that way. If they can't get the rights in the UK, and could in the US, for something, I'd rather they put it out in the US only. Better the Arrow treatment somewhere in the world, than not at all, right? But it doesn't sound like that's going happen, and it's sounding very much like going forward they'll concentrate on things they can get the rights to in both the UK and the US. Which I think is a huge shame.

I'm slightly concerned about Blood And Black Lace now. VCI own the US rights in perpetuity. Would Arrow then pass on the UK rights? Is Blood And Black Lace one of those special titles? I would certainly think so, but would Arrow? This comment from Arrow on Facebook scares the heck out of me!

Quote:

It would have to be something very special for us to release in the UK only.
It was in reply to a question about a few years down the line, but even still it's terrifying. If they had done this a few years ago, would we have gotten Branded To Kill, in such an excellent, Criterion killing, edition?

Don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of positives of the move, but this is the negative that scares me the most.

shel 3rd October 2014 11:09 AM

This whole thing hurts my head and yet to be seen how it will affect UK releases.

Could this mean the UK will never see a lot stuff that Shout Factory have got out as Arrow US won't be able to release them so UK will just miss more titles leaving the likes of 88 to swoop in and take more of Arrow's home market. I'm sure it's beneficial for funding restorations but I'm not sold and not funding any of this. Good luck to em.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 11:13 AM

The General Arrow Discussion Thread

Tbh, I can see this being very difficult for Arrow. They're looking for at least $100,000. I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but I don't see them reaching that target. If they don't get it, they have to take a punt and use their own cash, and prey that they can make it back on sales from the US releases.

trebor8273 3rd October 2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 419688)
It's rare I look at a release with a tinge of jealousy since becoming region free, but I can't help hoping Arrow consider two upcoming Twilight Time releases, The Believers and Audrey Rose. Failing anyone other than TT putting them out, my DVDs will do. But both have plenty of potential for interesting supplements, considering the history of those involved.

i feel the same about TT might not be so bad if they actually put some effort into there releases but all you get is a bare bones package at 3 or 4 times the price of a arrow release. with Christine and fright night getting blu ray releases its better just waiting, see no point in TT who just seem unethical and greedy.

Dave Boy 3rd October 2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

This also means stuff that would be tied up in the US but free in the UK (Shivers for example) won't see a release due to dual region being impossible.

Mmmm. Not happy about this.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

In this case, I imagine it would be the case that Shivers would be released in the UK coded to Region B, rather than not being released at all.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 12:49 PM

Here's the really bad thing too. After May next year, Arrow will only licence films they can get the rights for both the UK & US. So think about this, Thief is coming before May, but if it wasn't, Arrow wouldn't be releasing it, since Criterion have it over there. Arrow needs to seriously rethink this strategy.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 12:51 PM

That would suck donkey balls.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 419823)
In this case, I imagine it would be the case that Shivers would be released in the UK coded to Region B, rather than not being released at all.

They wouldn't release it at all. They've already said they'll only licence titles they can get for both the US & UK.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 419826)
They wouldn't release it at all. They've already said they'll only licence titles they can get for both the US & UK.

I stand corrected and refer to my previous comment: that would suck donkey balls.

J Harker 3rd October 2014 01:11 PM

I wonder if this is in anyway related to the strange absence of Nightmare City? Given that has a US release will Arrow now drop it from the schedule?

BAKA 3rd October 2014 01:26 PM

I think they may be announcing Blood And Black Lace in the next few months. Or they have a Bava heavy line up in the next two months. OR BOTH! I HOPE BOTH!

Quote:

BAKA: It's hard to know what constitutes as a special title though, which is why it's causing a lot of paranoia. I'm sure there are lots of factors that go into it, but if commercial value is a primary, one can't help but fear for future Bava releases, especially with the rights to something like Blood And Black Lace (easily one of his most requested on your Facebook page), being tied up by VCI in the US in perpetuity. Would that then be passed on in the UK? I'm curious, what exactly do you consider as the criteria for a special title, that you would consider for a UK only release in the future?

ArrowVideo: All I can say to this is keep an eye on the schedule I think you will be very happy with the announcements coming in the next two months.
*Forgets completely about US move* Bava :woot:

BAKA 3rd October 2014 01:37 PM

Another nice titbit from their posts on Blu-ray.com:

Quote:

Whatever happens in the US the UK slate is planned to increase from roughly three titles a month to five or six from early 2015 onward.
Another one for Bava fans too:

Quote:

We have a few more Bava titles but we're waiting on new restorations and material to be found. We have an idea for a box planned (and has been planned for in excess of a year) but we wouldn't ever rush a release, the Bava's must be as perfect as they can realistically be.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 419836)
I wonder if this is in anyway related to the strange absence of Nightmare City? Given that has a US release will Arrow now drop it from the schedule?

They were just asked about this. The master wasn't acceptable to them, and they're still trying to get a better version.

JAMIOUSE 3rd October 2014 01:51 PM

Good more Bava is coming! I imagine Arrow will be clearing the decks in the run up to May 2015.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd October 2014 01:51 PM

From what i understand Arrow's director of sales and marketing in the US will be someone called Bill Olsen.

Mojo 5th October 2014 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Coming in November :

Attachment 145799

Btw, the Corman Poe set is down to £58 on Amazon :)

Sobral 5th October 2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 420077)

Btw, the Corman Poe set is down to £58 on Amazon :)

Thanks, just ordered it! :woot:

shel 5th October 2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobral (Post 420080)

Me too, had no interest in it (already own the stunning Usher steelbook) but at that price I couldn't resist.

Cheers Mojo.

Mojo 5th October 2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobral (Post 420080)

Me too! :)

Mojo 5th October 2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shel (Post 420084)
Me too, had no interest in it (already own the stunning Usher steelbook) but at that price I couldn't resist.

Cheers Mojo.

You're welcome :)

JAMIOUSE 6th October 2014 10:13 AM

I've had a thought, Arrow have said the back of the Rabid Dogs booklet will contain a surprise. I think that surprise will be the reveal of the incoming Bava titles for December - April.

hallo37 6th October 2014 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just found this postcard in my Shivers steel book Attachment 145876

Sorry, first time I've uploaded anything here!

Andra Jai 6th October 2014 08:41 PM

I hope Arrow decide to release some more Argento as Steelbooks as we only have 3 so far.

keirarts 6th October 2014 10:50 PM

I really, really hope they don't go down the route of only releasing stuff they can also release in the US.

UNLESS.....

They cut deals with Shout factory, Scorpion ect so we see identikit releases with all the labels involved. Blue sky thinking on my part perhaps but otherwise it could leave the UK market looking very barren indeed.

JAMIOUSE 7th October 2014 06:36 PM

Well if Arrow can cut a deal with Universal it could lead to Blu's of Pink Flamingos and Multiple Maniacs which can only be a good thing.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2014 06:57 PM

Is THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN still on schedule for Monday?
No one had a 'we've had to blah blah...' email before I go and order?:)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th October 2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 420396)
Is THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN still on schedule for Monday?
No one had a 'we've had to blah blah...' email before I go and order?:)

Some people have already received their copies from Arrow direct, so I'd say it could be safe to assume as such!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2014 08:29 PM

Cheers mate.:cool:

Susan Foreman 8th October 2014 06:59 AM

Shivers Blu-ray - Paul Hampton - DVDBeaver

Susan Foreman 8th October 2014 09:47 AM

"Night of the Comet is another Arrow Video release that fans will love, especially those fond of the eighties."

'Night of the Comet' Blu-ray (Arrow Video) Review - Pissed Off Geek

Susan Foreman 8th October 2014 09:48 AM

"The Visitor is one for the fans of cult oddities. You may not know what the hell is going on, but it may just be crazy enough to make you like it."

'The Visitor' (Arrow Video) Blu-ray Review - Pissed Off Geek

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th October 2014 07:34 PM

Phoned HMV on Monday regarding THE VISITOR......'There's no eve anythin cummin up fur that at awe mate.....'

Walked in today and what's sitting on the shelf?

Bought it,forgetting I had one ordered from Arrow....:rolleyes:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th October 2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

First up, thanks so much for all the support everyone! We are just a few days into our campaign and we've raised 17% of our goal which is incredible! We still have a long way to go so please make sure to share our campaign with your friends, families and mail man to get the word out.

For our first update, we would like to present you with the first look at one of our upcoming titles...

That’s right, Walerian Borowczyk’s long-unavailable The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne (its original title, though it’s also been known as Docteur Jekyll et les Femmes, The Blood of Dr Jekyll, Bloodbath of Dr Jekyll, Dr Jekyll’s Women, Bloodlust, The Experiment and a few others besides) will be receiving a brand new restoration from the original 35mm negative, and will make its worldwide debut on both Blu-ray and DVD next year and you can order your copy as one of our perks now.

And if that wasn't enough info to get you excited, we are very pleased to announce that there will be some more perks on the way - most of which will be linked to our upcoming release announcements so stay tuned for some more exciting updates in the coming weeks!
In the meantime, if you have any questions, thoughts or suggestions let us know via the comments section or one of our social channels.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...o-usa#activity