Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

Nordicdusk 8th October 2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 612879)
Could that be to do with the number of artists on the album? If it's a record by one band or one person, that's what contract. If it's a compilation, that would probably get a lot more expensive.

Any of the soundtrack i have bought from Waxwork or Death Waltz were just one artist Halloween soundtracks Zombie Flesh Eaters House By The Cemetery were all the same price as The Warriors which was a compilation so maybe its the coloured vinyl and packaging that pumps up the price and maybe limited numbers.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th October 2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 612883)
Any of the soundtrack i have bought from Waxwork or Death Waltz were just one artist Halloween soundtracks Zombie Flesh Eaters House By The Cemetery were all the same price as The Warriors which was a compilation so maybe its the coloured vinyl and packaging that pumps up the price and maybe limited numbers.

That would make sense. If a film release had a red disc instead of a silver one and limited edition packaging, they would be more expensive than the basic one. Hellraiser, The Thing, and Crimson Peak would be good examples of that.

Nordicdusk 8th October 2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 612884)
That would make sense. If a film release had a red disc instead of a silver one and limited edition packaging, they would be more expensive than the basic one. Hellraiser, The Thing, and Crimson Peak would be good examples of that.

It's also hard for me to talk about prices as i discussed with Dem on another thread here a couple of weeks back what i pay here for even a regular album is a hell of a lot more than ye pay in the UK so maybe soundtracks are not as expensive for ye. In Tower Records in Dublin the Arrow Vinyls sell for €50 when released first.

gag 8th October 2019 07:57 PM

Thanks for everyone who replied, I was just curious to why they are so expensive.

Michael Brooke 9th October 2019 06:47 AM

Vinyl has been reinvented as an expensive niche item, and I’m all but certain that the same will happen with Blu-ray, if it’s to survive at all.

The limited edition model has been surprisingly effective at persuading people to pay more realistic prices nearer the release date (something that’s becoming increasingly essential if certain labels are to remain in business at all), but margins are insanely tight right now, and narrowing all the time.

Fortunately, an industry friend’s prediction that 2018 would see at least one high-profile British boutique label going under didn’t happen, and it thankfully hasn’t happened in 2019 yet either - although the fact that Signal One nearly went under as a direct result of the HMV near-collapse (and, although they’re still in business, they haven’t released anything for nearly a year) shows how desperately vulnerable small labels are to unexpected shocks.

gag 9th October 2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 612905)
Vinyl has been reinvented as an expensive niche item, and I’m all but certain that the same will happen with Blu-ray, if it’s to survive at all.

The limited edition model has been surprisingly effective at persuading people to pay more realistic prices nearer the release date (something that’s becoming increasingly essential if certain labels are to remain in business at all), but margins are insanely tight right now, and narrowing all the time.

Fortunately, an industry friend’s prediction that 2018 would see at least one high-profile British boutique label going under didn’t happen, and it thankfully hasn’t happened in 2019 yet either - although the fact that Signal One nearly went under as a direct result of the HMV near-collapse (and, although they’re still in business, they haven’t released anything for nearly a year) shows how desperately vulnerable small labels:lol: are to unexpected shocks.

Signal one not released anything in a year, sounds like another label with yellow cases who seem to be very similar these days. :tongue1::lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th October 2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 612907)
Signal one not released anything in a year, sounds like another label with yellow cases who seem to be very similar these days. :tongue1::lol:

Last time I spoke to them online, it seemed like they weren't getting lots of sales and wouldn't really be licensing anymore titles.

Michael Brooke 9th October 2019 10:30 AM

Signal One is still bringing out Nightmare Alley, but not until some time next year. I suspect they'd already spent too much on that project to write it off - credit where it's very much due, Johnny Mains and I were paid in full for our commentary (recorded in summer 2018!), and impressively promptly.

But I understand that they've significantly cut back on their release slate across the board, and that the huge financial hit that they sustained from the HMV near-collapse was the major reason.

The other massive elephant in this particular living room is of course Brexit - more specifically, the fact that thanks to various still ongoing political shenanigans nobody currently knows what's going to happen. And since we're dealing with an industry that largely manufactures its products in central Europe... well, you can presumably work out the potential pitfalls.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th October 2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 612911)
Last time I spoke to them online, it seemed like they weren't getting lots of sales and wouldn't really be licensing anymore titles.

Are you referring to Signal One here or Shameless as gag alludes to in the second part of his sentence?

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th October 2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 612921)
Are you referring to Signal One here or Shameless as gag alludes to in the second part of his sentence?

Signal One.