Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th August 2023, 08:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm in for Coffin Joe. Even if the films are patchy they represent an important part of international genre history and I'll be keen to learn more of the Marins backstory.

I would have been in for a Barbarella LE but the Bluray artwork is painfully awful and I'm not interested in shelling out for a UHD.

Tremors 2 LE.... why?
Old 25th August 2023, 10:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I wonder if there will be a “Tremors 4: The Legend Begins” release as well - that’s probably my favourite of the sequels. They can skip the third though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 25th August 2023, 10:12 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Never seen any Coffin Joe films

Good or Bad ?
Old 25th August 2023, 10:14 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
I wonder if there will be a “Tremors 4: The Legend Begins” release as well - that’s probably my favourite of the sequels. They can skip the third though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be down for a boxset of 3-7. Imagine if they were able to include the pilot of the cancelled series with Kevin Bacon?

R
will graham likes this.
Old 25th August 2023, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post

Good or Bad ?
A mixture. First one's good the rest are forgettable.

Well for me anyway, although Embodiment of Evil was pretty good.

I have reviewed them all in the What Films Have You Seen? thread when i watched them on dvd via the Anchor Bay box set. Look them up if you are interested.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 25th August 2023, 10:17 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A mixture. First one's good the rest are forgettable.

Well for me anyway, although Embodiment of Evil was pretty good.

I have reviewed them all in the What Films Have You Seen? thread when i watched them on dvd via the Anchor Bay box set. Look them up if you are interested.

I will have a read cheers. You definitely wouldn't recommend a Boxset then
Old 25th August 2023, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I will have a read cheers. You definitely wouldn't recommend a Boxset then
Although i enjoyed some of the films when i saw them that first time never have i had the inclination to go back and watch any again.

Quite often if a new Blu is announced i'll be desperate to watch them on dvd again but when this set was discussed on here a couple of weeks ago it never entered my head to want to rewatch any.

It's all subjective though, you may love them. As yet of all the people on here only Rob4 has said he'll be getting it.
Old 26th August 2023, 11:06 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Good or Bad ?
Definitely an acquired taste, possibly films you'll watch once and leave to gather dust on the shelf or a set you'll watch fairly regularly.

I got the DVD set to review years ago and watched the films for the review, and haven't felt like watching them since.

This discussion has made me interested in revisiting the set to see if it's something I'd want to upgrade to a remastered Blu-ray set or not.

This is part of the review I wrote – I've omitted the paragraphs on the video and sound quality, and the examples of subtitling errors. I assume that the remastering process make them look and sound much better, so no wobbles on the VHS to DVD transfer and no background hissing on the early films.

Quote:
The horror genre is so wide and varied that it is easy to discover new films and directors simply by buying a DVD and seeing another filmmaker credited as a reference or, in this case, coming across a director and series of films of which you were previously unaware. José Mojica Marins was a prolific director in Brazil during the 1960s and ‘70s under the pseudonym/nickname Coffin Joe, appearing in all his films as the character Zé do Caixão.

In the first two films, his character is an undertaker (hence the nickname) with a demonic streak a mile wide who terrorises the villagers and doesn’t care how many enemies he makes. In the strict Catholic environment his abandonment of religion and insistence that all that exists is on this plane with nothing in the afterlife doesn’t go down well but he is desperate for a woman of suitable stature to carry his seed and ensure his bloodline carries on.

The nine films in this collection bring together the best of Marins’ work during the late 1960s and ‘70s plus a documentary made in 2001 about his life and career. The films vary from dark and demonic to very obscure portmanteau movies featuring cannibalism and orgies. He’s obviously not a man bound by convention and was frequently in trouble with the Brazilian Government for producing material that they deemed harmful, demanding swingeing cuts and even banning his pictures. It was only in America and Europe that Coffin Joe found an appreciative audience for his work which developed a cult following. His appearance helped as much as it hindered, sporting a top hat, black cloak, caterpillar-like mono-brow and incredible long, curved nails which ensured he was nothing, if not distinctive.

His appearance as the lead in each film (one, Finis Hominis (End Of Man) rather narcissistically where he plays a Messianic figure) where he also had writing, production and direction credits, ensured his status as an auteur in a career that has carried on to the 21st Century with Embodiment of Evil (a follow up to the first two films in this set) released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc at the same time as this collection. This box set contains the following films:
  • At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964)
  • This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse (1967)
  • The Strange World of Coffin Joe (1968)
  • Awakening of the Beast (1970)
  • End of Man (1971)
  • Strange Hostel of Naked Pleasures (1976)
  • Hellish Flesh (1977)
  • Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind (1978)
  • The Strange World of Mojica Marins (2001)
I watched these films over three days and was bemused, bored and amazed by what I saw. The content is quite advanced for the time with some extremely innovative scenes and themes where Marin explores the more complex elements of the human psyche – one film sees Zé do Caixão imprison a scientist and his wife to test out whether love or instinct truly exists and the climax is as shocking and horrifying as it is puzzling. Several films begin with Marin/Coffin Joe introducing the themes with some extremely ambitious existential philosophising and I got the impression that Marin was introducing themes that he couldn’t possibly investigate and expand on fully in less than ninety minutes. If I was being harsh, I’d call him pretentious but he doesn’t seem to care in the Strange World of Mojica Marins documentary where it appears he makes the films for himself and if you don’t like them then fine as there are others that do.

These aren’t for the easily offended as there are scenes of sexual violence and cannibalism so I imagine this set is aimed squarely at those who are already fans and, if a few more followers are picked up along the way, so much the better.

Final Thoughts
If you’re a fan of José Mojica Marins’ work then you’ll no doubt welcome this release but I can’t see it making too many new fans – it’s really preaching to the converted. If you like Marins’ films then this will be a set that you’ll snap up straight away but if you’re only mildly interested then I’d rent or borrow before committing to handing over cash for eight films, some of which you might never watch. I found them interesting, curious, intriguing and occasionally very dull but the AV quality and subtitling at times made for infuriating watching and I imagine hardcore fans would feel the same.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 26th August 2023, 11:23 AM
Cult Master

When it's cheaper / CEX / charity shop material, I will certainly be looking at the Coffin Joe set

**Yes, I have the old box set and standalone release of 'Embodiment Of Evil'**
g053584398 and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 30th August 2023, 03:05 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
NEW UK/US/CAN TITLE: Blackhat (2015) - Limited Edition Blu-ray pre-order available from Arrow Films US - £18:00

Release date: May 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
"We listened to your feedback about our release of Blackhat not including Michael Mann's revised director's cut of the film and we are very pleased to confirm that the original digital files have been found. It will now be included as a second Blu-ray Disc. To allow time for disc authoring and quality control, we have had to push the release date back to 4th September. We hope you understand the necessity for this delay and are as excited as we are to be able to feature this significantly different version of the film alongside the two previously announced cuts"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blackhat Update.jpg (90.1 KB, 43 views)
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!