Like Tree26055Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2014, 12:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Well it's not often I say this, but I was right!

Call me cynical, but I wonder how many people who'd previously dismissed the idea of buying Hellgate will now be buying it...
Its a neat ploy really.

Hellgate would never sell a thousand copies normally. Slap a limited edition sticker on it and the punters (euphemism) will flock to buy it.
Old 7th January 2014, 12:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Its a neat ploy really.

Hellgate would never sell a thousand copies normally. Slap a limited edition sticker on it and the punters (euphemism) will flock to buy it.
As far as Arrow Video is concerned, it's a win-win idea as they won't lose anything by promoting it as a limited run, so any purchases over and above those they would normally have had for the title is a bonus. In that sense, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain!

I just hope they won't do the same with every new release as it can get very tired, very quickly.
Old 7th January 2014, 12:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Something like Hellgate has to be a risk to sell the required print run for a BD release though. I don't blame them making it limited. I'd rather, if an HD master is available, that they would put out a limited BD run, rather than just a DVD release. It's very far removed from a Twilight Time style strategy in my eyes. Perhaps I'm just naive, but it doesn't seem so cynical a move to me.
Old 8th January 2014, 07:09 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I just hope they won't do the same with every new release as it can get very tired, very quickly.

They won't. These two releases are in a very unusual situation in that they were originally supposed to be barebones DVD-only Arrowdrome releases, but then HD masters became available. Arrow didn't have the budget for a bells-and-whistles special edition, but reckoned that if they sold a thousand copies of each reasonably quickly, they'd break even - hence the current strategy. But it's really not a good model for releases across the board.
Old 8th January 2014, 07:45 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
They won't. These two releases are in a very unusual situation in that they were originally supposed to be barebones DVD-only Arrowdrome releases, but then HD masters became available. Arrow didn't have the budget for a bells-and-whistles special edition, but reckoned that if they sold a thousand copies of each reasonably quickly, they'd break even - hence the current strategy. But it's really not a good model for releases across the board.
In that case, I hope all copies of each title sell and their ambition does not result in a big financial loss. I'd much rather Arrow released small titles in this way that on DVD under the ArrowDrome sub label with no extra features.

That said, if it doesn't pay off to go HD, ArrowDrome is much better than nothing!
platostotal likes this.
Old 8th January 2014, 07:57 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
As far as Arrow Video is concerned, it's a win-win idea as they won't lose anything by promoting it as a limited run, so any purchases over and above those they would normally have had for the title is a bonus. In that sense, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain!

I do find myself tempted. Mainly with Hellgate it's the extras as they do sound interesting. I've ordered Hell comes to Frogtown though as I genuinely enjoy that one...

Anyone else wish Arrow would give slugs the HD treatment or is that just my own special brand of insanity?
Old 8th January 2014, 07:59 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
That said, if it doesn't pay off to go HD, ArrowDrome is much better than nothing!
However in the case of Hellgate, 'nothing' would be the preferred option!

I'm sure that 99% of the people who'll be purchasing Hellgate will be going in blind, and whilst some may indeed like it, I'm sure the majority will have wished they'd sampled it before purchasing. Especially at £13 - hardly cheap (hell I wouldn't even buy it if I saw it in Poundland). I guess with it being limited the resale value may be a little higher though at least.
Old 8th January 2014, 08:01 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Anyone else wish Arrow would give slugs the HD treatment or is that just my own special brand of insanity?
Yes! You must have read my mind, as I was thinking this only a few minutes ago. It would make a nice companion for Squirm.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 8th January 2014, 08:01 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
However in the case of Hellgate, 'nothing' would be the preferred option!

I'm sure that 99% of the people who'll be purchasing Hellgate will be going in blind, and whilst some may indeed like it, I'm sure the majority will have wished they'd sampled it before purchasing. Especially at £13 - hardly cheap (hell I wouldn't even buy it if I saw it in Poundland). I guess with it being limited the resale value may be a little higher though at least.
Yeah. There is a VERY good reason I haven't relented yet and bought the damn film...i've seen it!
Old 8th January 2014, 08:05 AM
Cult Addict

Wow. Hellgate MUST be bad, i've never seen such consistent disinterest in a film on here.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!