Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

fuzzymctiger 6th October 2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 370250)
Add Fulci's Perversion Story to that aswell

Source?

It keeps getting better and better

Buboven 6th October 2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 370253)
Source?

It keeps getting better and better

I asked about this randomly on Facebook and Arrow surprised me by saying they had plans for this one. No indication of when it would be released though.

fuzzymctiger 6th October 2013 11:27 AM

So the list currently stands at:

Phantom of The Paradise
Sisters
White Of The Eye
Pit Stop
Remo
Hell Came To Frogtown
The Beast Within
Nightmare City
The Burbs
Caliber 9
Theatre Of Blood
Abominable Dr Phibes
The Delta Force
Whitnail & I
Hellgate
Cheeky!
Mark Of The Devil
Perversion Story
Five Dolls for an August Moon
Frivolous Lola
The Pit And The Pendulum

Shit Arrow better slow down, that looks like half a years worth of announcements!!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th October 2013 11:41 AM

I think Frivolous Lola was the other erotic title.

fuzzymctiger 6th October 2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 370264)
I think Frivolous Lola was the other erotic title.

That it was, thank you!

Thought they'd released it, but they haven't.

fuzzymctiger 6th October 2013 01:32 PM

Someone just reminded over at blu-ray.com, that apparently they are releasing The Pit And The Pendulum, and possibly going through the Corman/Poe's in chronological order.

Zann 6th October 2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 370212)
Was the Blue Underground DVD cut ?

Nope, longest version there is on DVD..even the US Anchor Bay disc was a little shorter.

Zann 6th October 2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 370221)
They've confirmed it as uncut

Great if it really is, how the BBFC have moved on....passing a nearly 45 year old film :rolleyes:

MotD is showing as part of an all nighter in Leicester Square later this month, perhaps that'll be unadulterated too.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th October 2013 03:08 PM

New Arrow Announcements...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buboven (Post 370250)
Add Fulci's Perversion Story to that aswell

I thought Arrow said on Facebook that they wanted to do Perversion Story, but the rights weren't available?

ecc 6th October 2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 370282)
That it was, thank you!

Thought they'd released it, but they haven't.

FRIVOLOUS LOLA was released by Arrow Films in 2001 in its softer English "producer's cut".

platostotal 6th October 2013 10:27 PM

Jeez... has a Russian billionaire bought Arrow instead of a football club or something:lol::lol:
Fantastic line up, must have cost a s**tload of cash, or they scored a really good deal.

keirarts 6th October 2013 10:29 PM

The guy from arrow at grimm said body double is being strongly considered. My mate was strongly lobbying for a superstition bd release.

fuzzymctiger 6th October 2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 370418)
Jeez... has a Russian billionaire bought Arrow instead of a football club or something:lol::lol:
Fantastic line up, must have cost a s**tload of cash, or they scored a really good deal.

When they said they would be able to get more titles from ditching the slipcases, I never thought it would lead to this is a million years!!

Susan Foreman 7th October 2013 08:12 PM

An early review of TCM2

Cannibal Reviews: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

JAMIOUSE 8th October 2013 07:52 PM

It's an impressive list of future Arrow titles, I had to look a good few of them up on IMDB because I'd never heard of them! I hope theres a few surprises in the mix too and a bit more Euro Cult, I expect some more Bava's too as it's already been said Arrow intend to release all of Bava's films on Blu or DVD.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th October 2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 370287)
Someone just reminded over at blu-ray.com, that apparently they are releasing The Pit And The Pendulum, and possibly going through the Corman/Poe's in chronological order.

Glad I never bought that Scream Vincent Price set!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th October 2013 01:19 AM

This may be just me rambling, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arrow and Scream got many of the same titles from MGM in their respective deals, but with different provisos regarding when they can release them in each territory. We've already seen some overlap, but it wouldn't be surprising to see Arrow release more of Scream's catalogue and vice versa.

This is the main reason why I've held off from much of Scream's stuff, so far. I'm not going down the avenue of double-dipping again like I did with DVD, and would rather wait it out on certain titles.

keirarts 9th October 2013 07:09 AM

I would say that getting similar titles released both sides of the pond is a good thing. If there are more quality UK releases this side of the pond then more sales to arrow and with more success that can be turned over into more titles..

Vampix 9th October 2013 10:16 AM

I can see my wallet's gonna take a bit of a hammering with all these new Arrow releases. Looking forward to just about everything mentioned! :nod:

Dave Boy 9th October 2013 05:56 PM

Oh,wow. Mark Of The Devil. This is a definite for me. Awesome news. :cool:

Zann 10th October 2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 370979)

Still pinching myself at the news it'll be uncut.

Vampix 10th October 2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 370979)

Yeah, great news! I'm a big Mark of the Devil fan, and have been ever since having it seized and confiscated by customs when I tried to import the uncut VHS from Holland years ago. I've got a Dutch DVD at the moment, but will definitely be getting the Arrow BD/DVD when it's released. :nod:

fuzzymctiger 10th October 2013 11:41 AM

With all the love for Mark Of The Devil, seems not many knew about the announcment.

So I went back and found the announcement, which was the basis for an new blog series Arrow is doing about how to make a release, and only the first part, the acquisition is up.

The Video Deck: How to make an Arrow Video: Acquisition

sjconstable 10th October 2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 371093)
With all the love for Mark Of The Devil, seems not many knew about the announcment.

So I went back and found the announcement, which was the basis for an new blog series Arrow is doing about how to make a release, and only the first part, the acquisition is up.

The Video Deck: How to make an Arrow Video: Acquisition

Nice, Arrow have really turned things around lately, I'm a bit annoyed though that I've asked twice on Facebook if the new Tenebrae steelbook will have a new English audio track (as the current one is as crap as the picture), and they haven't responded.

fuzzymctiger 10th October 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 371097)
Nice, Arrow have really turned things around lately, I'm a bit annoyed though that I've asked twice on Facebook if the new Tenebrae steelbook will have a new English audio track (as the current one is as crap as the picture), and they haven't responded.

Not suprised considering the amount of shit they're getting from Facebook fans for using Zavvi.

Slippery Jack 11th October 2013 10:03 AM

Huzzah! A new League of Gentlemen commentary for Theatre of Blood :woot: . . .

Michael Brooke 11th October 2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 371217)
Huzzah! A new League of Gentlemen commentary for Theatre of Blood :woot: . . .

Before rumours start running rampant, this has not been confirmed! The specs for this release haven't been drawn up yet.

Slippery Jack 11th October 2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 371223)
Before rumours start running rampant, this has not been confirmed! The specs for this release haven't been drawn up yet.

Oh right. Reece Shearsmith seems to think it's happening, according to his twitter . . .

Soon @markgatiss,@dysonjeremy,Steve Pemberton and I will record the commentary on the DVD release by @ArrowFilmsVideo of "Theatre of Blood".

Michael Brooke 11th October 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 371232)
Oh right. Reece Shearsmith seems to think it's happening, according to his twitter . . .

He does indeed, but it hasn't actually happened yet - and I'm always superstitious about announcing things that aren't already in the can, for obvious reasons.

Not least because I've seen it happen time and time again that people build up an idealised fantasy version of a release in their head and then berate the actual release for not measuring up, even though the label never actually claimed to be offering any of these extra features!

Delirium 11th October 2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 368673)
I beg your pardon, orafice other than my mouth?? Screenshots prove otherwise? First off there's no need to be rude. It's my opinion, doesn't matter whether you share it or not.
Secondly screenshots don't prove a damn thing, I put the disc in and look at the telly and that tells me what the picture is like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasteropod (Post 368676)
That is completely wrong, the French Blu-ray is from a different master and looks completely different to the Arrow.

Bit late with reading these threads, but have to put my two cents in: I own both the French disc and the Arrow and they are, as these two chaps say, night and day. Completely different.

I watched the Arrow originally and even then was shocked at the horrendous noise. Putting the French disc in was like watching a spanking new, proper blu ray version - albeit one with forced subs as has been mentioned (but there's ways around that if you have the means).

There's really no debate: Arrow's original release is a shocker.

Vampix 11th October 2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 371247)
Bit late with reading these threads, but have to put my two cents in: I own both the French disc and the Arrow and they are, as these two chaps say, night and day. Completely different.

I watched the Arrow originally and even then was shocked at the horrendous noise. Putting the French disc in was like watching a spanking new, proper blu ray version - albeit one with forced subs as has been mentioned (but there's ways around that if you have the means).

There's really no debate: Arrow's original release is a shocker.

Hopefully, Arrow will put things right with their forthcoming remastered edition of Tenebrae. I was tempted to buy the Arrow Blu on its original release, I'm glad I held off after reading all the negative reviews. All I have at present is the Dutch A-Film DVD, so definitely need an upgrade.

keirarts 12th October 2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 371324)
Hopefully, Arrow will put things right with their forthcoming remastered edition of Tenebrae. I was tempted to buy the Arrow Blu on its original release, I'm glad I held off after reading all the negative reviews. All I have at present is the Dutch A-Film DVD, so definitely need an upgrade.

The New Arrow release is using the same transfer as the french one. So without the forced subs and with all the extras the Arrow release should be the best release on the market. Definitely picking it up. :pop2:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th October 2013 05:48 AM

Wasn't there a weird visual glitch on the French release of Tenebrae? I can remember reading something about it on its release.

If so, hopefully Arrow's version will correct the issue.

tele1962 12th October 2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 371378)
Wasn't there a weird visual glitch on the French release of Tenebrae? I can remember reading something about it on its release.

If so, hopefully Arrow's version will correct the issue.

I didn't notice anything on my copy.:)

Delirium 12th October 2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 371387)
I didn't notice anything on my copy.:)

Me neither..

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 371374)
The New Arrow release is using the same transfer as the french one. So without the forced subs and with all the extras the Arrow release should be the best release on the market. Definitely picking it up. :pop2:

They are? Good. Then time to get rid of the French one.

I don't mind that they're re-releasing. Yes, it's effectively admittance to a mistake as someone mentioned before, but better corrected and re-released than not at all. Arrow's releases are effectively getting better, so hopefully things like this won't happen again.

Susan Foreman 12th October 2013 10:49 AM

The Long Goodbye full specs:

- High Definition presentation of the film from a digital transfer by MGM Studios
- Original uncompressed mono 2.0 PCM audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Rip Van Marlowe – An interview with director Robert Altman and star Elliott Gould
- Vilmos Zsigmond Flashes The Long Goodbye – An interview with the legendary cinematographer
- Giggle and Give In – Paul Joyce’s acclaimed documentary profile of Robert Altman, with contributions from Altman, Elliott Gould, Shelley Duvall, assistant director Alan Rudolph and screenwriter Joan Tewkesbury
- Elliott Gould Discusses The Long Goodbye - a conversation with crime novelist Michael Connelly, recorded in March 2012
-David Thompson on Robert Altman - David Thompson, editor of 'Altman on Altman' and producer of the BBC’s 'Robert Altman in England', talks about The Long Goodbye‘s place in Altman's filmography
- On Raymond Chandler - Chandler’s biographer, Tom Williams, outlines the author's life and work and discusses Altman’s adaptation of The Long Goodbye
- On Hard Boiled Fiction - Crime writer and critic Maxim Jakubowski discusses the emergence of hard boiled detective characters from the pages of the pulp magazines from the 1920s through to the 1950s
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Radio Spots
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Brad Stevens, an archive interview with screenwriter Leigh Brackett, a new interview with assistant director Alan Rudolph and an American Cinematographer article discussing Zsigmond’s unique treatment of the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

The Long Goodbye

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th October 2013 10:53 AM

New Arrow Announcements...

Saw the news on Facebook about the 58? minute conversation with Gould and Muchael Connelly. As if this release wasn't already a must buy, then they go and add this. Excellent!

keirarts 12th October 2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 371415)
Me neither..

They are? Good. Then time to get rid of the French one.

I don't mind that they're re-releasing. Yes, it's effectively admittance to a mistake as someone mentioned before, but better corrected and re-released than not at all. Arrow's releases are effectively getting better, so hopefully things like this won't happen again.

Given Arrows post Zombie flesh-eaters record they are rapidly improving. Hell if not for the boat cock up that would have been perfect (and now fixed it is.)

I honestly dont mind if they go back over previous releases and have another go. The troubles they were having prior seemed to be down to shoddy equipment at the italian labs, a theory supported by the excellent quality of their US releases.

Michael Brooke 12th October 2013 04:54 PM

I think there used to be an attitude that any release was better than nothing at all, and that if the only master available was a badly compromised one then so be it (to be fair, that attitude was by no means restricted to Arrow and several companies still have it), but it's clear from customer reactions that that's no longer sustainable.

Standards at Arrow are vastly higher now than they were three or four years ago - they've hired some really good people (in addition to the deservedly acclaimed James White, encoder extraordinaire David Mackenzie is handling a lot of their discs now), and take things like QC much more seriously. And indeed rejecting substandard masters at an early stage, even if it means scrapping entire releases.

I've QCed the vast majority of their recent releases myself, and have spotted and fixed mistakes that might well have ended up on the final release before - most recently an audio problem with Invasion of the Body Snatchers that did end up on the US BD!

tele1962 12th October 2013 05:16 PM

I have mentioned before and hell why not, I will mention again.........the 1975(James Caan) Rollerball I feel is right for Arrow to be looking into. It has everything that a cult movie release is about and I know that extras if obtainable are abundant and there certainly is room for more.

Anyone with me on this one? :)