Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2013, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
While I'm here, I thought the comments made from Francesco Simeoni, Label Manager at Arrow to MovieMail were pertinent to the 'cult' films discussions.

Part One and Part Two, for anyone interested. Some very interesting information as a whole, well worth giving those articles a read.
Discussion closed with one simple quote.
Old 19th December 2013, 10:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Discussion closed with one simple quote.
I think I sneakily edited that as you were replying. *Looks shifty*.

But it's down to opinion at the end of the day, I guess. I certainly wouldn't label everything they release as cult, but at the same time I think the term cult has become more encompassing. There's a lot of stuff out there, and I think the Internet has aided in connecting fans of films in ways that weren't really possible before, and has broadened the spectrum of what's considered as cult. I hear Grease 2 has a bit of a cult following.

On a none related note I think Arrow's store stock has screwed up again. All of the pre-orders have turned to 'in stock'. If it was just the January releases I may have believed it, but up to March? I'm not sure how long it's been like that, it certainly wasn't like that when I made my order for the releases in February.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 19th December 2013, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I may not agree with you Dem, but I do feel where you're coming from. It sucks when a label that once felt attuned to your needs suddenly feels so out of touch with your tastes. I feel very similarly with Shameless at the moment (although I haven't checked out if they've announced anything that would interest me of late). But I haven't picked up anything for over a year, The House With Laughing Windows being the last.
I think you pretty much nailed my thoughts with this.
BAKA likes this.
Old 20th December 2013, 07:53 AM
Cult Addict

I would argue White of the eye classifies as cult. It received a vhs RELEASE YEARS back. Warner's even re-issued it on the Maverick directors label. Then it disappeared. Donald Cammell classifies as a cult director,

"Donald Seaton Cammell (17 January 1934 – 24 April 1996) was a Scottish film director who enjoys a cult reputation thanks to his debut film Performance, which he co-directed with Nicolas Roeg." (wiki)

Also, Arrow are looking at releasing titles like Nightmare city and Beast within.
Old 20th December 2013, 07:56 AM
Cult Master

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but 'The White Of The Eye' is now a steelbox version:

White of the Eye [Steelbook]
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th December 2013, 03:57 PM
Cultist

Quote:
While I'm here, I thought the comments made from Francesco Simeoni, Label Manager at Arrow to MovieMail were pertinent to the 'cult' films discussions.

Part One and Part Two, for anyone interested. Some very interesting information as a whole, well worth giving those articles a read.

I may not agree with you Dem, but I do feel where you're coming from. It sucks when a label that once felt attuned to your needs suddenly feels so out of touch with your tastes. I feel very similarly with Shameless at the moment (although I haven't checked out if they've announced anything that would interest me of late). But I haven't picked up anything for over a year, The House With Laughing Windows being the last.
I agree. cult film labels should have variety. Even one of the great-pre-cert video labels, Intervision had UA titles. Among the likes of Mark of the Devil, the Brood, the Love Butcher and Kong Island, you had Carrie, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Revenge of the Pink Panther. This actually in my opinion kind of de-mainstreamed them, i.e. putting them in the same context as similar but lower films, i.e. a Leone western alongside A Few Bullets More. VCL too
BAKA likes this.
Old 20th December 2013, 04:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Theater of Blood!!! nice, a restored Blu should be a must for Price/70s horror fans, sorry if that's old news but that's a great 2014 release for me.(a nice steely?)
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 20th December 2013, 11:56 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default New Arrow Announcements...

Fran's one line, "Arrow Video was the brainchild of Almar Haflidason (PR guru then at the Associates and now Fetch PR) and Alex Agran", should be all you need to read to be know how much of a kick in the teeth it is that Arrow abandoned (that's the only way to put it) Cult Labs, when some people from other sites bad mouthed us on the internet (C*nt Labs being one of the names we're called because a few people were banned as we like to be a friendly place instead of letting people insult each other a la Aint It Cool & IMDB. That's what they did, even if they say they left because they could reach more people for free via Facebook & Twitter.
Old 21st December 2013, 09:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've just checked my basket and phenomena which I forgot to take out has the price of£0 ??
Old 21st December 2013, 09:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Fran's one line, "Arrow Video was the brainchild of Almar Haflidason (PR guru then at the Associates and now Fetch PR) and Alex Agran", should be all you need to read to be know how much of a kick in the teeth it is that Arrow abandoned (that's the only way to put it) Cult Labs, when some people from other sites bad mouthed us on the internet (C*nt Labs being one of the names we're called because a few people were banned as we like to be a friendly place instead of letting people insult each other a la Aint It Cool & IMDB. That's what they did, even if they say they left because they could reach more people for free via Facebook & Twitter.
What?? Please excuse my ignorance on this matter. A few people slagged off Cult Labs on some other forums, so Arrow withdrew?
Really? That's a bit of, "It's my ball and I'm going home!" isn't it?
Cult Labs cannot control what is said elsewhere and even if it was the best in the world, someone, somewhere would hate you just for being that.
I guess loyalty and respect are ideals of the past!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!