Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1406Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2014, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Regarding talk of a third one, I put a review on my Facebook page for Volume 2 (writing at the end how I hoped for a third one) and tagged Jake and Marc. Jake commented saying-

"A lot of people have asked about a 3rd part but censorship post 2000 really improved and at the moment I don't feel (or aren't personally aware enough of the history) that there's enough of a dramatic story to really make another full length documentary be compelling enough - and I wouldn't want to do a piece that didn't live up to the bar that's been set by the first 2. Then again we never planned doing a second one so if people have got any thoughts about what's important to cover in that time period then it's worth discussing in your group. So please discuss here. We did actually shoot some stuff about A Serbian film, The Human Centipede 2 &The Bunny Game - but it was all just too disconnected with Draconian Days which has a very specific and relevant timeframe (1984-99 which were narratively framed by the Ferman years) ultimately it didn't work when I tried to include that stuff in the cut. I look forward to everyone's thoughts."
mr 420 and keirarts like this.
Old 14th August 2014, 05:06 PM
Cult Addict

Could do one about the alton amendment and all the films that would have banned. several hundred discs worth of trailers at least. The the documentary itself would have got banned.
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 15th August 2014, 12:05 AM
Cult Addict

They could also contrast the censorship between different cultures and countries, ie japan with it's Guinea Pig films and Men behind the sun,etc and the fact that a lot of the films we're finally seeing uncut in the u.k(well almost) have been available worldwide for many years ie Cannibal Holocaust.
Also how in America films can be released unrated unlike our censors who charge so much for extra's and are running small releasing companies into the ground by forcing them to release substandard products in terms of extras. How digital is replacing actual hands on copies even though a lot of these digital copies are substandard and costs are preventing restoration and archiving of cult films.
I know that covers a lot of ground but i'm sure one more documentary could be constructed from these elements.
And like i said there is still so many bizarre and controversial trailers for trash/sleaze masterpieces that haven't been covered yet.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 15th August 2014, 12:16 AM
Cult Addict

Also could focus on the dvd revolution and the availability of these obscure films to collectors in decent shiny prints.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 15th August 2014, 12:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

If it was me i'd stop now as everything post 1998 has been thoroughly dissected and argued on places like this.

We probably know as much as we need.
Old 16th August 2014, 12:40 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If it was me i'd stop now as everything post 1998 has been thoroughly dissected and argued on places like this.

We probably know as much as we need.
That's a bit elitist!!

What about the people who are NOT members of this forum?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th August 2014, 10:49 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
That's a bit elitist!!

What about the people who are NOT members of this forum?
Odds are that if you're not a member of this forum and are interested in the Nasties then you will be a member of some kind of forum or at least have read up on and have a mild interest in the matter to begin with.

New fans to horror/exploitation cinema probably won't even know what a 'Nasty' is, least of all care. It's really a generational thing unless you've a keen interest in censorship/film history as a subject in which you'll probably know vastly more than the majority of us on here anyway.

Modern film censorship where the BBFC is concerned is few and far between now anyway and you can 'over-egg' these things to the point of saturation. Post 1998, I'd be surprised if they could cobble enough information together to fill the back of a fag packet, least of all a full scale documentary film with a slew of extras.
Old 16th August 2014, 11:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Post 1998, I'd be surprised if they could cobble enough information together to fill the back of a fag packet, least of all a full scale documentary film with a slew of extras.
I would have to argue otherwise.
Many, MANY films have been slaughtered since 1998 by the British Board of Film Censorship, plus quite a few banned. Things have got progressively better since the bad old days but to insinuate that hardly anything or nothing is cut is a fallacy. In the last 5 years there is a list of around 70 films censored by the stalwarts down in Soho square, God knows how many in the preceding ten years! The number will be in the hundreds.
You'll need a pretty big fag packet!
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 16th August 2014, 12:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I would have to argue otherwise.
Many, MANY films have been slaughtered since 1998 by the British Board of Film Censorship, plus quite a few banned. Things have got progressively better since the bad old days but to insinuate that hardly anything or nothing is cut is a fallacy. In the last 5 years there is a list of around 70 films censored by the stalwarts down in Soho square, God knows how many in the preceding ten years! The number will be in the hundreds.
You'll need a pretty big fag packet!
Which kind of confirms my point that you know about them all.

I've seen you write plenty of long posts on here about the various films that have had issues.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 16th August 2014, 03:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

...I know....it's one of those subjects that just sets me in rant mode! I hate the BBFC with a passion. I do agree with censorship, otherwise we'd have loads of films about showing you how to make a flame thrower out of crap out of Homebase, or how to make bombs out of fertilizer, etc, etc.
BUT....the BBFC don't even have any set rules, it's got guidelines to be interpreted by individuals, but that leaves it wide open to personal beliefs, morals, upbringing, values and parental influence of the individual deciding which could be the opposite end of the spectrum to someone else.
They also repeatedly assert that the British public are too mentally insecure and uneducated to discern fantasy from reality, despite many findings to the contrary. How dare they?
If this country set up a British Board of Book Classification and they started pulling out pages here and there, omitting paragraphs, re-arranging sentences, there would be uproar at the censorship of an art.
They do it to films and we nod our heads sagely because although there is not one case ever recorded of anyone committing a crime because of a film, somebody, somewhere, might - just might - do so one day and we have to protect against that. The logic of oppressors and a defunct organization desperate to hold on to a mediocum of power over the masses.
I'm sorry....I just hate them.

Like this? Share it using the links below!