Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th May 2021 10:05 PM

Let's hope it 2 discs of good shorts this time,not just one.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 651922)
Let's hope it 2 discs of good shorts this time,not just one.

I haven't bought this yet. Was it a bit hit and miss?

Rob4 12th May 2021 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 651927)
I haven't bought this yet. Was it a bit hit and miss?

Mixed response. I think die-hard horror enthusiasts (like myself) were glad of the opportunity of filling in some very obscure gaps in our collections whilst the less autistic felt the quality of the shorts were variable at best and perhaps not worth the price.

I think in terms of quality of the productions though, most people agreed that The Lake is a keeper.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th May 2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 651929)
Mixed response. I think die-hard horror enthusiasts (like myself) were glad of the opportunity of filling in some very obscure gaps in our collections whilst the less autistic felt the quality of the shorts were variable at best and perhaps not worth the price.

I think in terms of quality of the productions though, most people agreed that The Lake is a keeper.

I wonder if Black Angel will ever get a release?

Rob4 12th May 2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 651941)
I wonder if Black Angel will ever get a release?

I'd be interested to see it. It wasn't shown at my local theatre with The Empire Strikes Back. Well either it wasn't shown or I got sat down too late to see it!!! There was a big queue I seem to remember.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th May 2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 651943)
I'd be interested to see it. It wasn't shown at my local theatre with The Empire Strikes Back. Well either it wasn't shown or I got sat down too late to see it!!! There was a big queue I seem to remember.

It has stayed in my memory albeit vaguely ever since seeing it. Dark shadowy figures and creepy knights in the woods.

nosferatu42 12th May 2021 05:27 PM

I purchased it off the playstation store i think a few years back, it was on my PS3 but i don't know if its still there i need to set it up again as i lent the console to my daughter during lockdown.

So it's definitely available to put on a disc if anyone gets around to it.:pop2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8pHKP-vv4

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th May 2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 651929)

Disc 2 was far superior.
THE LAKE is class.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th August 2021 10:54 PM

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Quote:

When multiple residents of a Californian backwater begin to suffer from identical frenzied delusions, Dr Miles Bennell (Kevin McCarthy) suspects the town is in the grip of a new kind of epidemic. But his investigations soon reveal the terrifying truth, uncovering not a medical emergency but an extra-terrestrial invasion that threatens mankind’s very existence.
Directed by Don Siegel (Dirty Harry), this 1950s classic brings the fear of the unknown to the streets of America. A milestone of the science-fiction genre and a critique of post-war American society, The Invasion of the Body Snatchers remains an enduring and suspenseful classic.
Presented on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, experience the thrills and horrors of this highly influential movie like never before.

Extras

• Audio commentary with Dana Wynter, Kevin McCarthy and Joe Dante (2006)
• Sleep No More: Invasion of the Body Snatchers Revisited (27 mins): archive featurette focusing on the production history and historical significance of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Includes clips from interviews with Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter, John Landis, Mick Garris (Sleepwalkers), and science fiction historian Bob Burns
• Return to Santa Mira (16 mins): a look at the locations where key segments from Invasion of the Body Snatchers were shot
• What's In a Name? (3 mins): a short video piece about the title of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and some of the changes that were made to get it right
• The Fear and the Fiction: The Body Snatchers Phenomenon (8 mins): archive extra featuring interviews with Kevin McCarthy, co-screenwriter Stuart Gordon, John Landis, cultural historian Leo Brandy, Don Siegel's assistant Stuart Kaminsky, and Dana Wynters
• Trailer
• Other extras TBC
• **FIRST PRESSING ONY** Illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by Dr Deborah Allison

Justin101 7th August 2021 07:16 AM

I love that and will be picking it up :)
I know a lot of people love the 70s remake but the original is miles better in my opinion.

Rob4 7th August 2021 08:39 AM

Great news. Agree Justin, ‘78 version is great but the ‘56 version is The Daddy!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th August 2021 09:34 AM

LOVE the original,Siegel was a superb director,but Kaufman’s remake edges it for me.:)

However,a BFI release would be most welcome.

Tata Olive disc....

Paul@TheOverlook 7th August 2021 09:36 AM

I see that BFI is releasing Dennis Hopper’s OUT OF THE BLUE in October - it’s a really great film - I’d recommend it to anyone who enjoyed OVER THE EDGE.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th August 2021 09:43 AM

Good stuff.

Mojo 7th August 2021 10:13 AM

SHORT SHARP SHOCKS Vol 2 also announced :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th August 2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 657248)

Been reading up on the contents of this and it doesn't really interest me sadly.

There were so many reports that the first volume wasn't up to much - I still haven't watched my BD yet - well this doesn't sound great to begin with.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th August 2021 12:56 PM

Hopefully better content than Vol one.
The only outstanding segment was the one with Julie Peasgood.

Dave Boy 7th August 2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 657236)
Great news. Agree Justin, ‘78 version is great but the ‘56 version is The Daddy!

Yeah, great stuff.
Goodbye Spanish Blu ray.

gag 21st October 2021 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 657248)

The latest in the critically acclaimed BFI Flipside series – continuing its ongoing mission to curate an alternative Brit-screen history of overlooked rarities in deluxe home –entertainment editions – is a second edition of strange, striking, thrilling, horrific, eerie and eccentric short subjects from the heyday of the British cinematic supporting programme.

Return once more to the heyday of the supporting programme with another curious cornucopia of eerie, eccentric and edgy short films. Settle down for another strange cinematic journey through uncanny stories, twists in the tale, low-budget weirdness, stylish spectacle, peculiar public information, monstrous music and provocative experiment – all with oodles of atmosphere and in High Definition.

Featuring the following films:

Quiz Crime No.1 (1943)
Quiz Crime No.2 (1944)
The Three Children (1946)
Escape from Broadmoor (1948)
Mingoloo (1958)
Jack the Ripper with Screaming Lord Sutch (1961)
The Face of Darkness (1976)
The Dumb Waiter (1979)
Hangman (1985)
The Mark of Lilith (1986)

Extras
New interview with Ian F H Lloyd, writer and director of The Face of Darkness (2021)

New interview with Bruna Fionda, Polly Gladwin and Zachary Mack-Nataf, directors of The Mark of Lilith

New interview with the writer and director of The Dumb Waiter, Robert Bierman (2021)

New interview with Claire Binns (2021): the Ritzy alumnus celebrates the radical history of the legendary London cinema where The Mark of Lilith was shot

Image galleries for The Face of Darkness, The Dumb Waiter and The Mark of Lilith

Newly commissioned sleeve artwork by renowned illustrator Graham Humphreys

**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet featuring contributions from filmmakers Ian F H Lloyd and Robert Bierman and other writing from Vic Pratt, William Fowler, Josephine Botting, Jon Dear, Jonathan Rigby and Caroline Champion

DaveH 22nd October 2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 661934)
The latest in the critically acclaimed BFI Flipside series –
Featuring the following films:

Quiz Crime No.1 (1943)
Quiz Crime No.2 (1944)
The Three Children (1946)
Escape from Broadmoor (1948)
Mingoloo (1958)
Jack the Ripper with Screaming Lord Sutch (1961)
The Face of Darkness (1976)
The Dumb Waiter (1979)
Hangman (1985)
The Mark of Lilith (1986)

Extras
New interview with Ian F H Lloyd, writer and director of The Face of Darkness (2021)

New interview with Bruna Fionda, Polly Gladwin and Zachary Mack-Nataf, directors of The Mark of Lilith

New interview with the writer and director of The Dumb Waiter, Robert Bierman (2021)

New interview with Claire Binns (2021): the Ritzy alumnus celebrates the radical history of the legendary London cinema where The Mark of Lilith was shot

Image galleries for The Face of Darkness, The Dumb Waiter and The Mark of Lilith

Newly commissioned sleeve artwork by renowned illustrator Graham Humphreys

**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet featuring contributions from filmmakers Ian F H Lloyd and Robert Bierman and other writing from Vic Pratt, William Fowler, Josephine Botting, Jon Dear, Jonathan Rigby and Caroline Champion

I remember catching -The Dumb Waiter (1979) - on a showing of the movie Prophecy (1979) I wasn't by law supposed to be able to watch X certificate films at the cinema but luckily I looked older than my 14, It may be just a short but it felt like the whole cinema jumped at a certain scene, its probably tame compaired to todays shocks but it remains one of my earliest horror cinema memories, oh and that scene from Jaws:pop2:

Rob4 16th December 2021 09:43 PM

coming from BFI next year

Nigel Kneale (BFI Player/BFI Southbank/BFI Blu-ray and DVD – Apr) – includes a BFI Blu-ray/DVD release of 1984

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th December 2021 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Feb 21st 2022.

The Proposition on UHD and Blu-ray

The Proposition (1 x UHD, 1 x BD (extras))
Directed by John Hillcoat

In the harsh, unforgiving landscape of the Outback, Charlie Burns (Guy Pearce) is presented with an impossible proposition by local law enforcer Captain Stanley (Ray Winstone). To save his younger brother Mikey from the gallows he must track down and kill Arthur (Danny Huston), his psychotic brother.
While Charlie is forced to choose between revenge, loyalty and his own conscience, Stanley, having given up on civilised life in England, is determined to impose law and order and shield his innocent wife Martha (Emily Watson) from the brutalities of their new surroundings. A palpable sense of foreboding festers against the oppressive heat, as each character takes on their punishing moral dilemmas and the inevitable cycle of violence reaches its bloody conclusion.

New restored in 4K director John Hillcoat (The Road, Triple 9) and writer Nick Cave’s modern classic is released as a new 4K UHD, along with a Blu-ray discs featuring extensive new and archive extras. A release to satisfy existing fans and garner new ones.

Extras

Limited edition with bespoke packaging

4K (2160p) UDH Blu-ray feature presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)

High Definition Blu-ray disc (featuring extras only)

Audio commentary by John Hillcoat and Nick Cave

Audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson

Making of documentary

Archive interviews with the cast and crew

Trailer

Fully illustrated perfect-bound book featuring new and archive writing on the film, rare production documents, original reviews and full film credits
Many more extras TBC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09KN7Z4...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proposition...d%2C143&sr=1-5

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th January 2022 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Red Shift on dvd is now deleted.

From Facebook

Quote:

**Deletion Notice** The following two DVD titles are now deleted - Red Shift and the CFF title Masters of Venus. Apologies for the late notice on Red Shift, we made extensive efforts to renew it but it just couldn't be done.

We definitely wanted to keep it, but sadly couldn't. And trust me, it's not because anyone else in the UK is going to do it.
It's a quirky little film from Alan Garner that borders on time travel folk horror. Get it whilst you can if you had it in any wish lists.

Mojo 3rd February 2022 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New Flipside in April 😎

Attachment 238911

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd February 2022 04:26 PM

Brilliant!

Demoncrat 3rd February 2022 04:55 PM

Finally!!! :hail::dance:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2022 05:15 PM

I'd never heard of this but now i've looked it up it sounds pretty good.

British unheard of horror = excellent!

Rob4 3rd February 2022 05:42 PM

The Appointment is a great release. A real rarity. And kudos to the BFI for putting this out even though they only have SD elements. Too many things getting left on the shelf because 'suitable elements don't exist'. A less than stellar picture is something I can live with rather than no release at all!

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 666544)
The Appointment is a great release. A real rarity. And kudos to the BFI for putting this out even though they only have SD elements. Too many things getting left on the shelf because 'suitable elements don't exist'. A less than stellar picture is something I can live with rather than no release at all!

Is it a dvd release rather than Blu then being standard def? The OP never said anything about the release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666545)
Is it a dvd release rather than Blu then being standard def? The OP never said anything about the release.

Just looked on Amazon. It's a Blu-ray but in standard def. Why not simply release it on dvd instead?

Must be so they can charge seventeen quid for it rather than the standard tenner for a dvd.

Rob4 3rd February 2022 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666546)
Just looked on Amazon. It's a Blu-ray but in standard def. Why not simply release it on dvd instead?

Must be so they can charge seventeen quid for it rather than the standard tenner for a dvd.

I think it's because they are also including 'The Lake' by the same Director. I already have it on Short Sharp Shocks but I guess this is a second option for those that don't have that title.

But I think your motive also rings true... :lol:

Rob4 3rd February 2022 06:27 PM

Also announced was 1984 starring Peter Cushing.

Susan Foreman 3rd February 2022 08:49 PM

Full details

'The Appointment' (1980) - Blu-Ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £14:99

Release date: June 27

"An evil and enigmatic entity throws a family into turmoil in Lindsey C. Vickers' much sought-after cult horror.

Unable to attend his daughter’s violin recital, suburban father Ian – played by Edward Woodward (The Wicker Man) – is haunted by a series of prophetic nightmares that seem to foresee a looming tragedy. Are dark forces gathering to be unleashed upon him?

An unsettling journey into the world of the supernatural guaranteed to give you sleepless nights, The Appointment is this latest addition to the popular BFI Flipside collection. It is with the director’s blessing (and extensive involvement) that the BFI have decided to make this much requested title available, using the best materials as yet discovered.

BFI Flipside is dedicated to rediscovering the margins of British film, reclaiming a space for forgotten movies and filmmakers who would otherwise be in danger of disappearing from our screens forever. It is a home for UK cinematic oddities, offering everything from exploitation documentaries to B-movies, countercultural curios and obscure classics, If it's weird, British and forgotten, then it's Flipside."

Special features:
  • Standard Definition (presented on Blu-ray)
  • Newly recorded audio commentary on The Appointment by director Lindsey C. Vickers
  • Introduction to the film by the director
  • Interview with Lindsey C. Vickers (2021)
  • Interview with Jane Merrow (2022): the actress recalls her experience of making The Appointment
  • The Lake (Lindsey C. Vickers, 1978, 33 mins): a romantic picnic for young lovers Tony and Barbara is threatened by echoes of the horrific violence that happened nearby in this hauntingly effective ghost story
  • Newly recorded audio commentary on The Lake by Lindsey C. Vickers
  • Extensive galleries featuring rare stills and production materials kindly donated by the director
  • Illustrated booklet featuring new writing on the film
  • Newly commissioned sleeve art by Matt Needle

Susan Foreman 3rd February 2022 08:54 PM

'Alan Clarke at the BBC' (1969 - 1989) - 12 disc Blu-Ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £59:99

Release date: June 13

"Although probably best remembered for the controversial and groundbreaking dramas Scum, Made in Britain and The Firm, the breadth of Alan Clarke’s radical, political, innovative, inspirational work, along with his influence on generations of filmmakers, such as Gus Van Sant, Paul Greengrass, Andrea Arnold, Harmony Korine, Clio Barnard, Shane Meadows, should see him rightly regarded as one of Britain’s greatest ever filmmaking talents.

This collection brings together twenty-two stand-alone BBC TV dramas that Alan Clarke directed between 1969 and 1989, including such neglected classics as To Encourage the Others, Horace, Penda’s Fen, Diane, Contact, Christine and Elephant, and also includes Scum and Clarke’s original Director’s Cut of The Firm, assembled from his personal answer print, discovered in 2015.

This 12-Disc Box Set also includes a raft of additional materials, including David Leland introductions, extracts from BBC discussion shows Open Air and Tonight, and recently-produced documentaries and audio commentaries"

Films:
  • The Last Train through Harecastle Tunnel (1969)
  • Sovereign’s Company (1970)
  • The Hallelujah Handshake (1970)
  • To Encourage the Others (1972)
  • Under the Age (1972)
  • Horace (1972),
  • The Love Girl and the Innocent (1973)
  • Penda’s Fen (1974)
  • A Follower for Emily (1974)
  • Diane (1975)
  • Funny Farm (1975)
  • Scum (1977)
  • Nina (1978)
  • Danton’s Death (1978)
  • Beloved Enemy (1981)
  • Psy-Warriors (1981)
  • Baal (1982)
  • Stars of the Roller State Disco (1984)
  • Contact (1985)
  • Christine (1987)
  • The Firm: Director’s Cut (1989)
  • The Firm: Broadcast Version (1989)
  • Elephant (1989)

NOTE - This 2022 reissue does not feature Road (1987) or the collection of Half Hour Stories (1967-68) that were included in the 2016 limited edition box set

Special features:
  • Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light (2016, 270 mins)
  • Three short introductions by David Leland (1991)
  • Eight audio commentaries (Diane, Scum, Bukovsky, Contact, Christine, Elephant, The Firm (x2))
  • Bukovsky (Alan Clarke, 1977, 50 mins) + outtakes
  • Archival BBC discussion programmes (77 mins total)
  • Interview with A F N Clarke (2016, 22 mins): interview with the writer of Contact
  • Alan Clarke interview (1989, 10 mins)
  • Stills galleries

Susan Foreman 3rd February 2022 08:58 PM

'Lawrence of Belgravia' (2011) - Blu-Ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £14:99

Release date: June 13

""An intimate documentary portrait of England's greatest lost musical genius" - Will Hodgkinson, The Guardian

"Arguably the greatest pop star Britain never had." - Alexia Petridis, The Guardian

As lead singer of the much-loved bands Felt, Denim and Go-Kart Mozart, Lawrence is one of true cult artists of the British indie music scene, without really ever troubling the charts over his 40 year career. First released in 2012, Paul Kelly’s (Saint Etienne’s The London Trilogy, Dexys’ Nowhere is Home) intimate portrait was a labour of love which was eight years in the making. It follows Lawrence between Go Kart Mozart albums, weighed down by the chips on his shoulders while still dreaming of being a pop star who rides in limousines and dates supermodels.

Previously only available on a long-deleted DVD, this new BFI edition presents Lawrence of Belgravia – one of the most outstanding music documentaries of the last 10 years – on Blu-ray for the very first time."

Susan Foreman 3rd February 2022 09:03 PM

'Targets' (1968) - Blu-Ray pre-order available from BFI direct - £17:99

Release date: June 20

"Peter Bogdanovich’s landmark crime drama on Blu-ray for the very first time"

Special features:
TBC

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 666547)
I think it's because they are also including 'The Lake' by the same Director. I already have it on Short Sharp Shocks but I guess this is a second option for those that don't have that title.

But I think your motive also rings true... :lol:

I'd never noticed The Lake. That's cool. It was the only decent thing on Short Sharp Shocks so it will be nice to have that back in the collection. I sold SSS straight after watching.

Mojo 4th February 2022 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 238920

This book has reviews of a number of the films released on the Flipside label ( and possible future releases? ) as well as many other cult UK films.
The Appointment is one of those reviewed here, which is how I came to know about it.
Interestingly, including this upcoming release, five out of the last six Flipsides have been horror related. I hope that means they’re selling well and we can look forward to more of the same.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th February 2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 666558)
I'd never noticed The Lake. That's cool. It was the only decent thing on Short Sharp Shocks so it will be nice to have that back in the collection. I sold SSS straight after watching.

As did I so this is a deffo.

I also got shot of SSS 2 after viewing it.

Anyway,it'll still look better than it's ever looked before,even on Betamax....

Rob4 4th February 2022 06:12 PM

Hope Targets is a restoration and not just a port of the old DVD transfer.