Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Scream Factory/Shout Factory (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9717-scream-factory-shout-factory.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th April 2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 336622)
not cutting it to get a desired rating.

Guess it all depends on the individual. I consider A Good Day To Die Hard censored to get a lower rating.

BAKA 19th April 2013 12:30 PM

I always thought with Swamp Thing it was due to a contractual obligation with one of the actresses, that any nude scenes would be removed from the US release, but okay for international release? Was there more cut besides the nude scene?

Slippery Jack 19th April 2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 336622)
Hmm I don't know if I agree with that. To me, censoring something means not letting anyone see it, not cutting it to get a desired rating (unless the cuts are made to get it an 18 like Serbian Film etc which is different.)

Agreed. 'Censored' to me suggests a cut imposed against the wishes of the creators, something deemed unacceptable by a 'higher power'. In this current crop of films, the studios are looking to see what they can cut in order to be granted a lower, more commercial certificate. Basically, what Paul just said :lol: . . .

PaulD 19th April 2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 336625)
Guess it all depends on the individual. I consider A Good Day To Die Hard censored to get a lower rating.

Who's the censor in that particular case though? I mean, if I write a book for kids, give it to someone to read and they saw "oh that's a bit too violent for your audience" and so I cut it out is that book then censored?

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th April 2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 336631)
Who's the censor in that particular case though? I mean, if I write a book for kids, give it to someone to read and they saw "oh that's a bit too violent for your audience" and so I cut it out is that book then censored?

It is if there's a version out there with the violence in it (or whatever's neen removed). So you don't consider the UK cinema release of AGTTDH censored?

Slippery Jack 19th April 2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 336631)

Self-censorship :confused: Like Kubrick and A Clockwork Orange . . . ?

Hawkmonger 19th April 2013 01:16 PM

I view censorship in two ways;

-To remove material that may be considered harmful or offensive to the general audience (Hobnobing with the Tories I call it).
-To achieve a lower certificate to improve the audience share and gross more money OR to remove material the director, producer or actor/s disapprove of. This is generally at the request of someone affiliated to the project in a position of adviser.

This latter instance applies to Swamp Thing and I believe was at the request of a cast member. It is still censorship, and it may not be the original cut of the movie, yet it is still a valid alternative cut as apposed to a BBFC/ MPAA approved cut.

Slippery Jack 19th April 2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 336632)
So you don't consider the UK cinema release of AGTTDH censored?

I dont, as the studio agreed to the cuts in order to gain a lower certificate. If the BBFC had forced the cuts on them, then yeah, then I'd call it censoroed . . .

PaulD 19th April 2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 336632)
It is if there's a version out there with the violence in it (or whatever's neen removed). So you don't consider the UK cinema release of AGTTDH censored?

What Slippery Jack said. I really don't consider it censorship, I guess because it didn't *have* to be cut and could have been released without those cuts made.

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th April 2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 336639)
What Slippery Jack said. I really don't consider it censorship.

Ah well, let's just agree to disagree then. :)