Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Rec Room - Series Debate
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2010, 04:41 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Most Outlandish Plot Device?

As I probably mentioned in a previous thread, I love the storyline about building the Robot for a local school which they then us to try and smuggle someone out of the prison inside. I also treasure the remote control car drug smuggling wheeze but do any other members have favourite crazy plot devices from the show.

Related point:
I think Prisoner was a revolutionary TV show for bringing really raw subject matter to mainstream TV drama. Think about the kind of storylines that UK shows made in the era we're dealing with. In Emerdale Farm, it was a major disaster if Annie Sugden's tea became stewed, meanwhile on Prisoner, vicious dykes with their denim collars turned up stalked the wing, shaving girls heads or burning their hands in the steam press. These days, Soap Opera's are a revolving door of murderous Lesbians, rapists, Crack Addicts (Phil Mitchell, the least convincing drug performance since Al Pacino sniffed poppers in Cruising and did a weird gay-disco dance) and criminals and I think Cell Block H showed the way... for better or worse.

BEA SMITH: PROVIDER OF SAGE ADVICE AND THIRD DEGREE BURNS

Old 25th September 2010, 11:50 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Would you believe that I used to watch lots of Prisoner when I was younger.......and I can't remember much about it at all!
Old 25th September 2010, 04:21 PM
Blogs Moderator

I can well imagine, my memories of the show peak out of the late haze in little flashes. I'm catching up with so much TV gold as I rewatch it all from scratch.

Right now, I'm enjoying Lynne Warners rollercoater of emotion as she's battered by the cruel winds of fate. Never in the history of home entertainment has so much trouble been visited on one simple girl.
Old 4th October 2010, 03:44 PM
Cultist

There was the attempt to smuggle out Sandra Edwards (Louise Le Nay) in the back of a garbage truck. It was left ambiguous as to wether or not she survived the attempt.

Kev W
Old 4th October 2010, 08:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's pretty much thought that she was killed, she's just rumbled Dr Kate Peterson. The actress Louise Le Nay was very heavily pregnant by that point so she had to be written out.

One of my favourite Plot Devices was the Terroist Siege, concocted purely to write Myra Desmond out because Anna Phelan wanted more money! Shame some of the Barnhurst Five weren't killed with her. Myra was a great Top Dog second only to Bea.

Like this? Share it using the links below!