Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 520113)
Really?

They were featured in a TV spot that was posted on YouTube mid December

See count 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPXPPq64Vk

It's clearly the first time you knew about it from the wording on your original post.

Quote:

Looks like the Daleks are featured in the upcoming 'Lego Batman Movie'
Besides i'm not interested in a Lego movie and wouldn't bother with a trailer so it would take evidence such as your pic for it to register.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 10:47 AM

Pic of the Day # 24

1 Attachment(s)
Horror of Fang Rock (1977)

Susan Foreman 6th February 2017 10:48 AM

But, with all due respect, back in November, you were questioning whether it would be happening

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 467294)
The Doctor goes to Hollywood.

Will Doctor Who be in The Lego Movie 2?

I just posted confirmation that the Daleks are in the trailer

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 520117)
But, with all due respect, back in November, you were questioning whether it would be happening

And i said that your post was the first proof i'd seen of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 520117)
I just posted confirmation that the Daleks are in the trailer

But you clearly said i should have known they were in a trailer from December which suggests you did so why didn't you post any evidence of it back then? Answer, because you couldn't cut and paste any pics from elsewhere until you saw it today on here Doctor Who Latest News, Videos & Image Galleries | Doctor Who

You are seeming ultra pedantic today, hope everything's okay. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 11:16 AM

This is a really boring way to start the day. :focus:

Demoncrat 6th February 2017 12:04 PM

Well.....

I watched that The Ark again, easily one of my favourite WH stories.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 519544)
it's for sale for the price of postage in hardback. Just one seller though. The paperback is readily available. It's a proper novel not one of the young adult series. It's over 300 pages and remarkably gory.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...5901532&sr=8-1

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 519547)
Cheers - just bought the hardback. :thankingyou:

Read the first five chapters last night and am really enjoying it so far. :nod:

Mojo 6th February 2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 520069)
Apparently they weren't part of the initial drafts of the story. They were added to the scripts at the production team's suggestion, to ensure that there was enough material to fill seven episodes

I'd been led to believe that it was the inclusion of the werewolf style Primords that were included late on, as it was felt there wasn't a traditional enough style ' monster' in the story.

In any case, this 7 parter is gripping from start to finish. Apart from the scary part - infected Primords, the parrallel universe is a blast and the climactic scenes of the burning up alternate earth are incredible. I never tire of watching this one.

Mojo 6th February 2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520090)
Ambassadors of Death is another that's far too long. Not enough happens to sustain it.

Now The Mind of Evil from the following season...that's brilliant! :woot:

I know The Ambassadors Of Death has its critics, but I love it. It makes a change to have an alien race that doesn't want to invade / conquer Earth, but instead is being unwillingly manipulated by corrupt Earthlings. I love the slow moving, faceless astronaut aliens, accompanied by really creepy music. And the 'gun shot' opening titles are wonderful. Again, this one doesn't drag for me. It's arguably the weakest of season 7, but that's no great criticism, as it's got very strong competition!

The Mind Of Evil is enjoyable too, though not a real favourite ( the cliffhanger endings are very repetitive for example ). I haven't watched it since it first came out on dvd, so maybe it's a good excuse to watch it again!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 01:39 PM

I'm currently two episodes into The Horror of Fang Rock.

To say producer Graham Williams remit was to lighten the mood after the violence and Gothic horror of the Hinchcliffe era, well you wouldn't know it from this or from the equally scary and Gothic Image of the Fendahl which follows two stories later.

Supremely atmospheric and moody, you could say this borrowed a lot from John Carpenter's The Fog however as this was from 77 it was a few years before that film hit our cinema screens. The Horror of Fang Rock is one of my all time favourites.

Mojo 6th February 2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520133)
I'm currently two episodes into The Horror of Fang Rock.

To say producer Graham Williams remit was to lighten the mood after the violence and Gothic horror of the Hinchcliffe era, well you wouldn't know it from this or from the equally scary and Gothic Image of the Fendahl which follows two two stories later.

Supremely atmospheric and moody, you could say this borrowed a lot from John Carpenter's The Fog however as this was from 77 it was a few years before that film hit our cinema screens. The Horror of Fang Rock is one of my all time favourites.

Funnily enough, when I first saw Horror Of Fang Rock on its original transmission, I didn't think that much of it. Viewing it again years later on dvd, I think it's brilliant.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 01:52 PM

Which are your favourite third Doctor exclusively Earth bound stories?

Spearhead From Space
Doctor Who and the Silurians
Inferno
Ambassadors of Death
Terror of the Autons
The Mind of Evil
The Claws of Axos
The Daemons
The Sea Devils
The Green Death
Invasion of the Dinosaurs

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520136)

Spearhead From Space
Inferno
Ambassadors of Death
Terror of the Autons
The Mind of Evil
The Claws of Axos
The Daemons
The Sea Devils
The Green Death

My top 3 would be

1- The Daemons
2- The Sea Devils
3- Doctor Who and the Silurians

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Spearhead From Space
Inferno
Ambasadors of Death
Terror of the Autons
The Mind of Evil
The Claws of Axos
The Daemons
The Sea Devils
The Green Death

1. The Daemons
2. Spearhead from Space
3. Inferno

All are great stories though that I could watch over and over.

Mojo 6th February 2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Spearhead From Space
Inferno
Ambasadors of Death
Terror of the Autons
The Mind of Evil
The Claws of Axos
The Daemons
The Sea Devils
The Green Death

It's a close call! But in order of preference:

Spearhead From Space
Inferno
The Claws Of Axos
Dr Who And The Silurians
The Ambassadors Of Death
Terror Of The Autons
The Daemons
The Sea Devils
The Green Death
The Mind Of Evil
Invasion Of The Dinosaurs

Susan Foreman 6th February 2017 04:01 PM

Don't worry, Clara haters. This is a fake

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...75&oe=593E37A3

Come on, guys. If you are going to photoshop a picture, at least do a good job! This is the original

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...bb&oe=5905D4F7

trebor8273 6th February 2017 06:27 PM

The War Machines.

The Tardis arrives in London in the swinging 60s and the Doctor and his companion Dodo are joined by the far more interesting Polly and Ben, who are all caught up in super computers WOTAN bid to take over the world with mind control and its robots called War machines( which look like the Daleks poor/ backwards relations ). Great 60s vibe and eerie feel as the war machines patrol around London. Also watch out for the scene in the night club of the Doctor being compared to Jimmy Savile:shocked:

about to watch the first episode of power of the Daleks

trebor8273 6th February 2017 07:19 PM

Can't decide what story to watch next

Genesis of the daleks
Lesive hive
Caves of androzani
Remeberance of the daleks
The greatest show in the Galaxy

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 520181)
Can't decide what story to watch next

Genesis of the daleks
Lesive hive
Caves of androzani
Remeberance of the daleks
The greatest show in the Galaxy

An hour ago you were going to watch Power of the Daleks. Have you finished that already?

trebor8273 6th February 2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520184)
An hour ago you were going to watch Power of the Daleks. Have you finished that already?

Watched first episode but think I'll save it for the weekend or watch it weekly

edit

was watching greatest show in the galaxy but a rapping ring master appeared and that was it, destiny of the daleks it is

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 520188)

edit

was watching greatest show in the galaxy but a rapping ring master appeared and that was it, destiny of the daleks it is

Ha'ha. Greatest Show is an acquired taste. When i saw it on transmission i hated it, now i quite like it. There's something quite sinister about it all.

I was going to suggest The Leisure Hive to you. Thats something different, and it's really enjoyable. Always nice to see Adrienne Corri.

trebor8273 6th February 2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520193)
Ha'ha. Greatest Show is an acquired taste. When i saw it on transmission i hated it, now i quite like it. There's something quite sinister about it all.

I was going to suggest The Leisure Hive to you. Thats something different, and it's really enjoyable. Always nice to see Adrienne Corri.

thanks will go for that as its only a 4 part story unlike genesis and I've not seen it before.

also have plenty of baker (tom) and Pertwee and only two McCoy stories and no Colin Baker, with any luck this should change this week as i've dropped hints for my birthday!

tele1962 6th February 2017 09:14 PM

Love the new avatar Dem. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 520203)
Love the new avatar Dem. :nod:

Thanks, tele. I like it as well. it's a shame i can't use it exclusively in this thread and have the old raven for the rest of the forum.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th February 2017 10:23 PM

It was rumoured when she had to miss a convention but now the BBC have confirmed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zOJJA8gMXQ

hivemind 6th February 2017 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 520188)

edit

You don't know what you've missed?

I think Mags has just thrown a fit at the idea of you being rather fed up with the Greatest Show in the Galaxy.....Mags, it's over to you.

hivemind 6th February 2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520210)
It was rumoured when she had to miss a convention but now the BBC have confirmed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zOJJA8gMXQ

Those crazy eyes Mrs Michelle Gomez has. Jesus! scares the living hell out of me. Still think Mrs Gomez would of made a good Rani, not Master.

Susan Foreman 7th February 2017 06:07 AM

It's all supposition and guesswork - internal politics and personal feelings

I would imagine we will never know anything...other than the simple reason, he is leaving

Falling ratings, typecasting, BBC woes: why did Peter Capaldi quit Doctor Who?

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2017 11:21 AM

Pic of the Day # 25

1 Attachment(s)
Fury from the Deep (1968)

https://pardonmyscifi.files.wordpres...2/p010cn76.jpg

trebor8273 7th February 2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520256)

i wonder if they can do the same with this as they did power of the daleks?

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 520257)
i wonder if they can do the same with this as they did power of the daleks?

It would be nice. However despite the fact it being a really good story in my opinion, i don't think it would be as visually impressive as a Dalek or Cyberman story.

I would imagine we would be more likely to see The Daleks' Masterplan*, Evil of the Daleks or The Wheel in Space.

I have no idea though, only speculating.

*Unless they are working on this now it seems unlikely this would be released any time soon as 11 episodes would need to be animated.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2017 11:51 AM

Doctor Who: Dalek: The Astounding Untold History of the Enemies of the Universe Hardcover – 24 Oct 2017

If this is anything like The Whoniverse then i'm in heaven.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...harbuiltoys-21

hivemind 7th February 2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 520234)
It's all supposition and guesswork - internal politics and personal feelings

I would imagine we will never know anything...other than the simple reason, he is leaving

Falling ratings, typecasting, BBC woes: why did Peter Capaldi quit Doctor Who?

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious, but the BBC has always had a very rocky relationship with Dr Who. It's pretty clear now that the BBC's trial balloon with Chibnall at the helm will be 100% make or break. As the article stated in the Telegraph, Chibnall is also known for creating complex and convoluted plots like Steven Moffat.

I suppose one of the questions will be, who will Chibnall ask to write the first series of this new re-boot series?. The thing I dread the most is a woman playing the part. I know others say on some forums "not a chance", but the BBC are desperate not to blow away millions pounds on a show that they obviously feel isn't performing right in the ratings. Maybe the BBC will let Chibnall select a female Doctor? Just to shock the hardcore fandom and bring a much needed, fresh publicity worldwide, even though Dr Who is still sailing strong on BBC America. Big selling point.

The BBC want the good old days back when dear Russ was show runner. Can the BBC and Chibnall replicate those days again. It seems a tall order to me, but we'll have to wait and see what happens once Capaldi regenerates.

Susan Foreman 7th February 2017 04:36 PM

I know the budget on 60's 'Doctor Who' was low, but...

Lulu on the television show 'Thank Your Lucky Stars'

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...01&oe=590498FC

Dodo in 'The Celestial Toymaker', broadcast shortly afterwards

https://doctorwhomindrobber.files.wo...-and-cyril.jpg

trebor8273 7th February 2017 09:49 PM

Finished Genesis of the Daleks one of the most famous stories that also introduced us to their creator Davros. Even at 6 episodes it fly's along.

Now watching one of my favorite Pertwee story's Doctor who and the Silurians.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 520362)
Finished Genesis of the Daleks one of the most famous stories that also introduced us to their creator Davros. Even at 6 episodes it fly's along.

Now watching one of my favorite Pertwee story's Doctor who and the Silurians.

Have you seen Genesis before, Treb?

trebor8273 7th February 2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520363)
Have you seen Genesis before, Treb?

Yes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 520364)
Yes.

You're right it's near perfect. The only two slightly cheap bits are the clam monsters and the episode ending where Sarah definitely falls down the outside of the rocket silo but it's shown at the start of episode 3 to be the inside.

trebor8273 7th February 2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 520365)
You're right it's near perfect. The only two slightly cheap bits are the clam monsters and the episode ending where Sarah definitely falls down the outside of the rocket silo but it's shown at the start of episode 3 to be the inside.

The whole Sarah bit was like those 40s serials were they would end with a cliffhanger and low and behold next week it was totally different situation, and yes those clam monsters were pretty cheesy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 520368)
The whole Sarah bit was like those 40s serials were they would end with a cliffhanger and low and behold next week it was totally different situation, and yes those clam monsters were pretty cheesy.

Those forties serials such as Flash Gordon, yes, they sum it up perfectly.