Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2017 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517150)
I've watched The Sontaran two-parter quite a few times and rather enjoyed the story, though Helen Raynor's other two-parter, The Daleks Take Manhattan leaves a lot to be desired. I also enjoyed Planet of the Ood. The story that I really enjoyed was Midnight. Probably one of the best stories to be written by dear Russ, or not so dear Russ with The End of Time and Voyage of the Damned. Yuck!

Blue Sontarans just don't do it for me. They come across like animated parodies.

I like Planet of the Ood very much and also Daleks in Manhattan although acknowledge it is flawed. The End of Time i agree is poor but i don't mind Voyage of the Damned. It's a big brassy Poseidon Adventure type thing that did what it set out to.

iank 14th January 2017 07:16 AM

I rather love Daleks in Manhattan. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 517156)
I rather love Daleks in Manhattan. ;)

Basically anything with Daleks in i love.

Take the Daleks out of the show and i doubt i'd watch it.

Throughout my Who watching life i've always watched in the hope they would be behind the scenes in every episode. Failing that i hoped another monster familiar foe would be.

I was thrilled to guess correctly about the Cybermen in Earthshock and the Master in Keeper of Traken*. Had no idea about the Macra in Gridlock though or Davros in Destiny of the Daleks.

*The Deadly Assassin shit me up so much i just knew that emaciated, seemingly burnt hand they teased us with throughout The Keeper of Traken was the Master.

hivemind 14th January 2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517159)
Basically anything with Daleks in i love.

Take the Daleks out of the show and i doubt i'd watch it.

Throughout my Who watching life i've always watched in the hope they would be behind the scenes in every episode. Failing that i hoped another monster familiar foe would be.

I was thrilled to guess correctly about the Cybermen in Earthshock and the Master in Keeper of Traken*. Had no idea about the Macra in Gridlock though or Davros in Destiny of the Daleks.

*The Deadly Assassin shit me up so much i just knew that emaciated, seemingly burnt hand they teased us with throughout The Keeper of Traken was the Master.

The biggest shock for me was losing Tom Baker in Logopolis. 1981. Takes me back to the days of playing Atari and sherbet dip dabs.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517196)
The biggest shock for me was losing Tom Baker in Logopolis. 1981. Takes me back to the days of playing Atari and sherbet dip dabs.

What was the first story you recall seeing, Hivemind?

hivemind 14th January 2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517203)

I can just recall watching Full Circle on BBC1 with Tom Baker. The marsh men scared the shit out of me. I was never scared of the Daleks though. If I remember correctly, back in 1984 I was looking forward to Resurrection of the Daleks on TV. If I remember correctly, Tomorrow's World was on before the first episode. What scared me the most was Terry Molloy as Davros. I use to have a cushion on the sofa ready for any moments that might be just a bit too much. And yourself Dem?

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517207)
I can just recall watching Full Circle on BBC1 with Tom Baker. The marsh men scared the shit out of me. I was never scared of the Daleks though. If I remember correctly, back in 1984 I was looking forward to Resurrection of the Daleks on TV. If I remember correctly, Tomorrow's World was on before the first episode. What scared me the most was Terry Molloy as Davros. I use to have a cushion on the sofa ready for any moments that might be just a bit too much. And yourself Dem?

An episode of The Brain of Morbius. It was probably part 3 because the Morbius monster scared the living daylights out of me.

I don't recall anything of following story The Seeds of Doom so it's possible i didn't see it. I certainly saw everything from Masque of Mandragora onwards.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 02:08 PM

Pic of the Day # 2

Full Circle (1980)

hivemind 14th January 2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517209)

I think I should frame that photo on the wall. Quite atmospheric too. With a quote underneath. A pond full of marshmen by Grimwade. I would suspect it would fetch big money in the Tate Modern, London.

So you got to see some of the crème de la crème of Baker stories televised on BBC 1. Doctor Who was always the best when Baker played the part, especially with that sexy Mary Tamm. Miss those days alot.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517231)
I think I should frame that photo on the wall. Quite atmospheric too. With a quote underneath. A pond full of marshmen by Grimwade. I would suspect it would fetch big money in the Tate Modern, London.

So you got to see some of the crème de la crème of Baker stories televised on BBC 1. Doctor Who was always the best when Baker played the part, especially with that sexy Mary Tamm. Miss those days alot.

I did. I have vivid childhood scars from The Robots of Death, The Deadly Assassin, Talons, The Invisible Enemy and The Sunmakers.

As for Mary Tamm, i don't think i ever recovered from the idea of her being strapped down, cut up and replaced by a robot in The Androids of Tara. It's weird as my memories of The Sunmakers were of Leela in the steaming tube. It must be a bondage thing with me. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 05:20 PM

Incidentally, Hivemind. With you first seeing Full Circle made me remember recording the last episode of the mind bending Warriors Gate on audio cassette as it played on the tv. I listened to it loads of times.

I used to record loads of themes from tv this way. How sad. :lol:

hivemind 14th January 2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517232)
I did. I have vivid childhood scars from The Robots of Death, The Deadly Assassin, Talons, The Invisible Enemy and The Sunmakers.

As for Mary Tamm, i don't think i ever recovered from the idea of her being strapped down, cut up and replaced by a robot in The Androids of Tara. It's weird as my memories of The Sunmakers were of Leela in the steaming tube. It must be a bondage thing with me. :lol:

Yeah. Tamm was stunning to look at. Though I wasn't taken by Lalla Ward one bit. I was just thinking about the impact of having Nicola Bryant's breasts rammed in front of me whilst she was in that bikini during The Planet of Fire. That certainly had an impact, and my grandfather tried to hold The Sun newspaper up in front of my eyes when she was ready to dive into the sea.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517235)
Yeah. Tamm was stunning to look at. Though I wasn't taken by Lalla Ward one bit. I was just thinking about the impact of having Nicola Bryant's breasts rammed in front of me whilst she was in that bikini during The Planet of Fire. That certainly had an impact, and my grandfather tried to hold The Sun newspaper up in front of my eyes when she was ready to dive into the sea.

I've never got Lalla Ward either.

hivemind 14th January 2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517234)
Incidentally, Hivemind. With you first seeing Full Circle made me remember recording the last episode of the mind bending Warriors Gate on audio cassette as it played on the tv. I listened to it loads of times.

I used to record loads of themes from tv this way. How sad. :lol:

You saying that. For my birthday back in 1987, the BBC released an LP of famous BBC TV Themes with Doctor Who, Miss Marple, Dallas, Wicker's World etc... I'm not sure, but this was the first time that the BBC released the 1980's BBC Doctor Who theme in it's complete, unedited version. Good times indeed.

Susan Foreman 14th January 2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517203)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517207)
I can just recall watching Full Circle on BBC1 with Tom Baker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517208)
An episode of The Brain of Morbius. It was probably part 3 because the Morbius monster scared the living daylights out of me

'The Sea Devils' from 1972 for me

But I pretty much had to watch it - it was a navy story, and my family is a naval family, and I was living in Gosport at the time. The story was filmed in and around Portsmouth

nosferatu42 14th January 2017 06:07 PM

Mine was Destiny of the Daleks after which i watched it regularly, first appearance by Lalla Ward, so was the first female companion for me.:loveeyes:

I personally really like her and she is one of my favourites, being a time lord/lady too gives her character an interesting dynamic i feel, and i think she's really cute too.:nod:
My first run in with other original Doctors was during the Five faces of Doctor Who repeats in 1981.:pop2:

An Unearthly Child
(Monday 2 to Thursday 5 November 1981)
The Krotons
(Monday 9 to Thursday 12 November 1981)
Carnival of Monsters
(Monday 16 to Thursday 19 November 1981)
The Three Doctors
(Monday 23 to Thursday 26 November 1981)
Logopolis
(Monday 30 November to Thursday 1 December 1981)

Mojo 14th January 2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 517250)
Mine was Destiny of the Daleks after which i watched it regularly, first appearance by Lalla Ward, so was the first female companion for me.:loveeyes:

I personally really like her and she is one of my favourites, being a time lord/lady too gives her character an interesting dynamic i feel, and i think she's really cute too.:nod:

Now here speaks a man of taste :nod:

My first Who was SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE. Those 'unfinished' looking faces on the Autons scared the crap out of me. I still think they look creepy as hell - and it's still my favourite story of all time.

hivemind 14th January 2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 517255)
Now here speaks a man of taste :nod:

My first Who was SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE. Those 'unfinished' looking faces on the Autons scared the crap out of me. I still think they look creepy as hell - and it's still my favourite story of all time.

I would loved to of seen Spearhead on first transmission. Why can't we have a great Auton story in new Who?. Something with a sinister subtext. Instead of the typical invasion story. When you consider the Autons have barely been seen at all in not so new Dr Who since 2005. Bloody terrible. As much as I dearly like the Daleks, I do feel the Autons need a proper two-parter.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517267)
I would loved to of seen Spearhead on first transmission. Why can't we have a great Auton story in new Who?. Something with a sinister subtext. Instead of the typical invasion story. When you consider the Autons have barely been seen at all in not so new Dr Who since 2005. Bloody terrible. As much as I dearly like the Daleks, I do feel the Autons need a proper two-parter.

There are loads of great stories they could do with classic series enemies. The recently published short story book Time Lord Fairy Tales has at least three stories that would absolutely fit the 45 minute slot and would be better than anything screened for years.

I'm not saying which monsters are back in the stories as that would spoil the surprise should you come to read them. One or two of them are by Jac Raynor who wrote The Sontaran Stratagem and Daleks in Manhattan.

hivemind 14th January 2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517275)
There are loads of great stories they could do with classic series enemies. The recently published short story book Time Lord Fairy Tales has at least three stories that would absolutely fit the 45 minute slot and would be better than anything screened for years.

I'm not saying which monsters are back in the stories as that would spoil the surprise should you come to read them. One or two of them are by Jac Raynor who wrote The Sontaran Stratagem and Daleks in Manhattan.

I saw that book in WH Smiths just before Xmas. Lovely looking book too. The one Dr Who story I probably most wanted to see back in 1986 with the missing Colin Baker season was Yellow Fever and How to Cure It. Apparently Director Graeme Harper was going to direct. Sucks to high heaven to be honest that this intresting story never got the go-ahead.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 517283)
I saw that book in WH Smiths just before Xmas. Lovely looking book too. The one Dr Who story I probably most wanted to see back in 1986 with the missing Colin Baker season was Yellow Fever and How to Cure It. Apparently Director Graeme Harper was going to direct. Sucks to high heaven to be honest that this intresting story never got the go-ahead.

Wasn't that the Master / Auton story? Yes that would have been brilliant.

Susan Foreman 15th January 2017 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517289)
Wasn't that the Master / Auton story?

And The Rani...and The Brigadier!

Apparently it was going to be produced as a 3x45 minute episode story, so chances are, we would be complaining that it was over-long!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 12:04 PM

Pic of the Day # 3

1 Attachment(s)
Melkur - The Keeper of Traken (1981)

Inspector Abberline 15th January 2017 12:08 PM

Has anyone got the Blu Ray version of Spearhead from Space,tis supposed to be the mutts nutts.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 517318)
Has anyone got the Blu Ray version of Spearhead from Space,tis supposed to be the mutts nutts.

It is. I haven't got it but i have watched it on a 50" screen and it looks superb.

The dvd looks shit hot as well with it being completely filmed on er' film.

Inspector Abberline 15th January 2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517320)
It is. I haven't got it but i have watched it on a 50" screen and it looks superb.

The dvd looks shit hot as well with it being completely filmed on er' film.

cool,did they film any other of the earlier DrWho on film for the TV.

trebor8273 15th January 2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Its great, is mutts nutts bad or good, I would think its bad.

trebor8273 15th January 2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 517322)

No that's the only one,but I could be wrong.

Inspector Abberline 15th January 2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 517323)

my mutt says his nutts are good thank-you.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 517322)

No that was the only one. It's just like a film in episode format. All the location work is top quality as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 517323)

Mutts nuts - Dogs bollocks = The best of the best!

trebor8273 15th January 2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517326)
No that was the only one. It's just like a film in episode format. All the location work is top quality as well.

Mutts nuts - Dogs bollocks = The best of the best!

I always thought it meant something was bad.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 517327)
I always thought it meant so merging was bad!

You've lost me, these words just don't make sense on a Sunday lunch time.

trebor8273 15th January 2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517328)
You've lost me, these words just don't make sense on a Sunday lunch time.

Fixed. Stupid pad I type something and it posts something else. Never buy an Amazon tablet.

Susan Foreman 15th January 2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

As Mr. Dike states, it looks really good

If you are interetsed in the extra features, there are a number on the Blu-Ray which are not on the other DVD versions:
  • 'A Dandy And A Clown' (run time 42.26) is a documentary about Jon Pertwee, featuring rare clips and photos (including non-Who shows), and also cine film and photos that come from friends and family
  • 'Carry On' (run time 29.09) is a personal tribute to Caroline John, featuring contributions from family and friends (including her husband Geoffrey Beevers, who played The Master in 'The Keeper Of Traken')
  • Title Sequence Material (run time 22.39) features silent and B/W test footage of the opening Pertwee titles
  • Restoration Comparison (run time 2.14)
  • Coming Soon Trailer: The Green Death Special Edition (run time 1.25)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 01:12 PM

Spearhead always amuses me when i see Pertwee's tattoo in the shower. I'd love to know when he visited a tattoo parlour. Was it Troughton who had it done or Hartnell? :lol:

Maybe it was a pissed up night on the town with Ben the sailor, perhaps Polly egged him on.

Susan Foreman 15th January 2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517350)
Spearhead always amuses me when i see Pertwee's tattoo in the shower. I'd love to know when he visited a tattoo parlour. Was it Troughton who had it done or Hartnell? :lol:

It's the mark of a Time Lord criminal

Because of what happened that the end of 'The War Games', the Time Lords give him the brand - that's why the tattoo only lasts for this incarnation

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 517351)
It's the mark of a Time Lord criminal

Because of what happened that the end of 'The War Games', the Time Lords give him the brand - that's why the tattoo only lasts for this incarnation

:lol:

So nothing to do with Pertwee serving in the forces then?

That's really sad you came up with that. :hail: Respect!

hivemind 15th January 2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 517358)
:lol:

So nothing to do with Pertwee serving in the forces then?

That's really sad you came up with that. :hail: Respect!

BBC Wales is looking for a creative consultant on Dr Who. I think Suzie would fit the bill perfectly.

Nice touch though.

Susan Foreman 15th January 2017 04:05 PM

As much as I would love to sit here, quietly soaking up the plaudits, I can't do that:

"The newly regenerated Third Doctor sported a tattoo on one arm. (TV: Spearhead from Space) This was the mark made by the Time Lords to signify the Doctor was a convict. Similar tattoos were placed on prisoners in Shada; they "snapped" when the prisoners were released. (PROSE: Christmas on a Rational Planet) Daniel Joyce had one of these tattoos. (PROSE: Unnatural History)"

Tattoo | Tardis - The Doctor Who Wiki

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th January 2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 517378)
As much as I would love to sit here, quietly soaking up the plaudits, I can't do that:

"The newly regenerated Third Doctor sported a tattoo on one arm. (TV: Spearhead from Space) This was the mark made by the Time Lords to signify the Doctor was a convict. Similar tattoos were placed on prisoners in Shada; they "snapped" when the prisoners were released. (PROSE: Christmas on a Rational Planet) Daniel Joyce had one of these tattoos. (PROSE: Unnatural History)"

Tattoo | Tardis - The Doctor Who Wiki

Nonsense dreamed up by The New Adventures writers again. :rolleyes: