Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2017 12:08 PM

Pic of the Day # 134

1 Attachment(s)
The Faceless Ones (1967)

Susan Foreman 27th May 2017 05:18 PM

First broadcast on May 27th, 1996, between 8:30pm - 9:55pm

http://www.thenerdelement.com/wordpr...16/08/paul.jpe

I watched it on transmission, and was very disappointed by the lack of monsters, the unnecessary romantic subplot, and the Americanisation of my hero - the TARDIS having a 'cloaking device', the Doctor being 'half-human' and the whole 'X-Files' feel the episode had

Still, the Doctor was back, and it was about time...

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2017 07:47 PM

The Pyramid at the End of the World

Easily the best episode of the series so far. It felt like it had scale. Together with a gripping cliffhanger.

Personally i loved it.

trebor8273 27th May 2017 07:56 PM

Finished these two classic series story's.

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

The Black Orchid

I really enjoyed black orchid, which is you is not a normal Doctor Who story as it has none of the staples of the show,no monsters or any SciFi trappings, its basically a murder mystery, set in the roaring 20s. With the Doctor and his Companion's. A doppelganger, masked ball and murder are all part of the story. Adric doesn't seem to do anything but stuff his fat face for the two episodes.

Mojo 27th May 2017 09:05 PM

Another terrific episode of Dr Who tonight. The pace of these last few episodes has been spot on. There is so much going on but doesn't feel rushed and thankfully has none of those fast jump cuts so beloved of drama series of recent years.
Capaldi has been superb, the Monks are wonderfully gruesome and the whole thing has a momentum to it that seems to be leading to... where? Or what?
Looking forward to every episode at the moment.

trebor8273 27th May 2017 09:43 PM

As others have said another fantastic epiosde , the best so far, been a excellent series so far with the episodes get better each week. Great cliffhanger and if it continues the season will be a fanatastic Swan song for Capaldi, can see them having their work cut out for season 11 if the continue the quality for the rest of the season.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2017 10:44 PM

My series scores so far.

The Pilot - 7/10
Smile - 6/10
Thin Ice - 6/10
Knock Knock - 6/10
Oxygen - 6/10
Extremis - 5/10 (This was a 9 until the last 15 minutes)
The Pyramid at the End of the World - 8/10

iank 28th May 2017 09:42 PM

Saw Pyramid at the End of the World. I thought this was okay, not as good as the last few weeks. I could have lived without the President of Earth silliness (do we really want to be reminded of the godawful series 8 finale? I don't think we do) but it was solid enough.
The use of the Doctor's blindness to get to the end point was clever, but I'm not sure I buy Bill doing it; I just don't see Bill being close enough to him yet to really sell out the entire planet to save him. I could see Rose doing that, certainly, and even Amy, but Bill?
Bit lukewarm on it to be honest. In the end, though, this is part 2 of a 3 part story, and it all depends on next week.

trebor8273 28th May 2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 535497)
Saw Pyramid at the End of the World. I thought this was okay, not as good as the last few weeks. I could have lived without the President of Earth silliness (do we really want to be reminded of the godawful series 8 finale? I don't think we do) but it was solid enough.
The use of the Doctor's blindness to get to the end point was clever, but I'm not sure I buy Bill doing it; I just don't see Bill being close enough to him yet to really sell out the entire planet to save him. I could see Rose doing that, certainly, and even Amy, but Bill?
Bit lukewarm on it to be honest. In the end, though, this is part 2 of a 3 part story, and it all depends on next week.

Agree about Bill, as much as I enjoyed the episode I just coudnt see her doing that.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th May 2017 10:07 PM

Pic of the Day # 135

1 Attachment(s)
The Pyramid at the End of the World (2017)

Demoncrat 29th May 2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535391)
Easily the best episode of the series so far. It felt like it had scale. Together with a gripping cliffhanger.

Personally i loved it.

Can I just say I felt exactly opposite to this glowing report??
If these bloody monks DO turn out to be Cybermen-in-some-shape-or-other
That will be me finished :nod:
Especially if that lanky twat is taking over.
Cough.

Susan Foreman 29th May 2017 10:53 AM

Has Mary Tamm ever looked more attractive?

No idea on the year this was taken (mid 80's have been suggested), or it's context tho

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d0&oe=59E7E512

Demoncrat 29th May 2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 535526)
Has Mary Tamm ever looked more attractive?

No idea on the year this was taken (mid 80's have been suggested), or it's context tho

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d0&oe=59E7E512

Cheers Suze, that's brightened my day somewhat :nod:;):thankingyou:

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 535525)
Can I just say I felt exactly opposite to this glowing report??
If these bloody monks DO turn out to be Cybermen-in-some-shape-or-other
That will be me finished :nod:
Especially if that lanky twat is taking over.
Cough.

Eh?

and eh?

Demoncrat 29th May 2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535551)
Eh?

and eh?

I keep hearing awful "rumors" about these monks

And Kris Marshall. They have denied it, but who else has been put up as a replacement?

gag 29th May 2017 03:19 PM

Different sites and papers give a variety of people, I heard loads of possibility a female .

Doctor Who: Could Phoebe Waller-Bridge replace Peter Capaldi? - BBC News

15 official contenders to be the next Doctor Who

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...nally-12840779

When it comes to shows like this I take no notice of rumours ,and just wait till its been officially announced

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 535557)
Different sites and papers give a variety of people, I heard loads of possibility a female .

Doctor Who: Could Phoebe Waller-Bridge replace Peter Capaldi? - BBC News

15 official contenders to be the next Doctor Who

The gender of the next Doctor Who has finally been revealed - Birmingham Mail

When it comes to shows like this I take no notice of rumours ,and just wait till its been officially announced

All those are old articles.

This thread more than any other on the forum is up to date with news so there's no need to dig things up from January. Especially speculative headline grabbers like this.

Stephen@Cult Labs 29th May 2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535559)
All those are old articles.

This thread more than any other on the forum is up to date with news so there's no need to dig things up from January. Especially speculative headline grabbers like this.

Only one is from January. The others are from March and April. I see no problem with this, especially as the internet is full of speculation and Who fans and their wild theories af what is going to happen.

trebor8273 29th May 2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 535552)
I keep hearing awful "rumors" about these monks

And Kris Marshall. They have denied it, but who else has been put up as a replacement?

Never heard of him until he was linked to be the next Doctor, is he that bad, as it seems not many want him to be the Doctor.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 535560)
Only one is from January. The others are from March and April. I see no problem with this, especially as the internet is full of speculation and Who fans and their wild theories af what is going to happen.

That's okay then if others like reading them.

Have you any wild theories, Stephen?

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 535561)
Never heard of him until he was linked to be the next Doctor, is he that bad, as it seems not many want him to be the Doctor.

He was the son in My Family and quite popular in Death in Paradise. It wouldn't bother me if he was the next Doctor. I get the feeling it may be a bigger name than him though.

trebor8273 29th May 2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535563)
He was the son in My Family and quite popular in Death in Paradise. It wouldn't bother me if he was the next Doctor. I get the feeling it may be a bigger name than him though.

Well as I never heard of him or those programs just about anyone would be a bigger name,to me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 535564)
Well as I never heard of him or those programs just about anyone would be a bigger name,to me.

Quite surprised you've never heard of My Family, Treb. It ran for 11 years on prime time BBC1. (2000-2011)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2017 05:28 PM

Pic of the Day # 136

1 Attachment(s)
The Romans (1965)

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 09:18 AM

Pic of the Day # 137

1 Attachment(s)
The Seeds of Doom (1976)

trebor8273 30th May 2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535608)

just stated watching this, you aren't spying on meare you!

Justin101 30th May 2017 12:22 PM

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is an interesting idea, has anyone on here seen BBC3's Fleabag from last year, she is a suitably quirky actor. However, I don't think they'll go down the route of a female Doctor just for the sake of it, I think it'll be who-ever gives the best audition/screen test.

It wont be long now until casting is announced??

trebor8273 30th May 2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 535635)
Phoebe Waller-Bridge is an interesting idea, has anyone on here seen BBC3's Fleabag from last year, she is a suitably quirky actor. However, I don't think they'll go down the route of a female Doctor just for the sake of it, I think it'll be who-ever gives the best audition/screen test.

It wont be long now until casting is announced??

another program and actress, i've never heard of!

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 535638)
another program and actress, i've never heard of!

No, i'd never heard of her until the rumours began. I know this is me being sniffy but someone from an i-player only show...seriously?

Justin101 30th May 2017 01:12 PM

I know it's iPlayer only but I highly recommend it. I know she's not a 'name' but that shouldn't really matter, Matt Smith wasn't well known either.

trebor8273 30th May 2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 535642)
I know it's iPlayer only but I highly recommend it. I know she's not a 'name' but that shouldn't really matter, Matt Smith wasn't well known either.

I would rather they go for an unknowing, but have the feeling they won't .

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 535642)

Surely she can't play Batman and the Doctor?

http://stagetalkmagazine.com/wp-cont...Flea-Bag-1.jpg

I'd go for Michael Keaton if that's a criteria. :lol:

trebor8273 30th May 2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535652)
Surely she can't play Batman and the Doctor?

http://stagetalkmagazine.com/wp-cont...Flea-Bag-1.jpg

I'd go for Michael Keaton if that's a criteria. :lol:

i think he actually would be a good doctor

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 535653)
i think he actually would be a good doctor

Me too. I think Waller Bridge would make for a great companion from looking at pics of her.

trebor8273 30th May 2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 535654)
Me too. I think Waller Bridge would make for a great companion from looking at pics of her.

if they did something like that, you would get all the purists crying that the Doctor has to be British, at one point i might of agreed but not now, if the actors good enough it won't matter.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 535655)
if they did something like that, you would get all the purists crying that the Doctor has to be British, at one point i might of agreed but not now, if the actors good enough it won't matter.

I'd quite like to see Idris Elba in something. Probably more Bond than Who though. He's a bit hard to play the Doctor.

Susan Foreman 30th May 2017 07:12 PM

It's normally Bernard Bresslaw who is featured so, for a change, here is Alan Bennion in the make-up chair being transformed into Slaar, in 'The Seeds Of Death"

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...da&oe=59AF8B3C

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...90&oe=599CAE67

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...51&oe=59E8E1EB

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 07:59 PM

I have a confession to make...

Due to a lot of positive chatter surrounding the latest season on here (even by fellow Nu-Who hater iank) I decided to give it a shot and have ended up watching every episode so far, and shockingly haven't found it too bad. It's a little cringe-y in places with some dodgy writing and a few weak cop-out endings dotted throughout but am rather enjoying it overall. There hasn't been a single episode that I've hated thus far.

This is my first proper dose of Nu-Who since Tennant's second episode.

iank 30th May 2017 09:22 PM

Series 5 is better. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 535683)
I have a confession to make...

Due to a lot of positive chatter surrounding the latest season on here (even by fellow Nu-Who hater iank) I decided to give it a shot and have ended up watching every episode so far, and shockingly haven't found it too bad. It's a little cringe-y in places with some dodgy writing and a few weak cop-out endings dotted throughout but am rather enjoying it overall. There hasn't been a single episode that I've hated thus far.

This is my first proper dose of Nu-Who since Tennant's second episode.

:faint:

Glad you're enjoying it b_e.