Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

iank 24th February 2016 11:41 PM

This ridiculously tedious stereotyping of female classic Who companions as being nothing but useless screamers. It's bollocks, frankly, applying to maybe a very tiny minority (and even then, not entirely). To put the likes of Barbara, Vicki, Zoe, Liz, Sarah, Leela, both Romanas, Ace into that category is absurd, and even characters such as Polly, Jo and Peri, while perhaps not as strong as others, all display plenty of traits of ingenuity and intelligence and bravery in extreme situations.
It just pisses me off, and it's a false stereotype that results in the new series in absurd over-compensatory awful characters like bloody SuperClara "Can do no wrong and knows better than a 1000 year old alien genius" fricking Oswald. :computerfix::whip:

iank 27th February 2016 10:22 PM

Been watching some more of the Stephen Cox CGI animations on YT. Seen the first episode of The Massacre (the most recent one he's done) which is good so far, 3 episodes of DMP (really good so far) and Myth Makers part 1 (which is really, really boring so far. The only reason I'm even considering watching the rest is because Vicki leaves in it).

iank 16th March 2016 12:31 AM

The Massacre seems a decent enough story, yet oddly pointless in a way. The "Abbott is a double of the Doctor" plot seems bizarrely out of place in an otherwise straightforward serious historical, and seems to largely be there solely to give Hartnell a scene or two in episodes 2 and 3 without actually featuring the Doctor.
Although the animations can never really fully accurately reflect the originals, I have to say on the evidence so far I'm not a big fan of season 3 (and I adored Marco Polo even in animated form, so I can't dismiss it as being that). I'd say its the absence of Ian and Barbara and even Vicki (after Myth Makers) that makes the First Doctor seem rather bereft, but I'd wager the real issue is more the departure of Verity Lambert as producer. Season 1 and 2 feel (even though I like 2 a bit more) like a cohesive whole. Season 3 seems rather rudderless to me, like there's a lack of a real vision behind the scenes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th March 2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 481578)
The Massacre seems a decent enough story, yet oddly pointless in a way. The "Abbott is a double of the Doctor" plot seems bizarrely out of place in an otherwise straightforward serious historical, and seems to largely be there solely to give Hartnell a scene or two in episodes 2 and 3 without actually featuring the Doctor.
Although the animations can never really fully accurately reflect the originals, I have to say on the evidence so far I'm not a big fan of season 3 (and I adored Marco Polo even in animated form, so I can't dismiss it as being that). I'd say its the absence of Ian and Barbara and even Vicki (after Myth Makers) that makes the First Doctor seem rather bereft, but I'd wager the real issue is more the departure of Verity Lambert as producer. Season 1 and 2 feel (even though I like 2 a bit more) like a cohesive whole. Season 3 seems rather rudderless to me, like there's a lack of a real vision behind the scenes.

This might sound daft but The Massacre may work better without the animation. I have the cd soundtrack and really like it. I've listened to it many times.

It has a delightfully grim atmosphere that i'm sure doesn't come over in animated form. It was decided that the story should centre round Steven rather than the Doctor for a change. A Doctor lite story if you wish.

Personally i have no wish to see it animated as i've listened so many times i already know what it looks like in my head.

Susan Foreman 19th March 2016 10:28 AM

Doctor Who: Peter Capaldi reveals the Doctor's new companion has been cast | Metro News

No mention of who tho

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 481856)

Someone he's worked with previously....
Jenna Coleman? :lol:

iank 19th March 2016 08:29 PM

Don't even think it! :jedi::whip:

Demoncrat 21st March 2016 12:20 PM

Rebecca Front?? :lol:

iank 25th March 2016 08:32 PM

The Lost Stories are on special from Big Finish for a fiver each all Easter weekend, if anyone's interested.
I've picked up several Colins and a Sylv. ;)

Susan Foreman 26th March 2016 11:47 AM

11 years ago today (26th March, 2005), 'Doctor Who' returned to our screens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBQZdBqoOU

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th March 2016 11:55 AM

It feels without any Doctor Who speculation or spoilers. This could be a long year.

I just hope Steven Moffat goes out with a bang and not some timey-wimey bollocks.

Also i hope he doesn't do something stupid like destroying the TARDIS or regenerating the Doctor into a woman, just to go down in history as the one to make it happen.

iank 26th March 2016 08:21 PM

While I wouldn't put it past him, Moffat will have no more say in casting the next Doctor than Davies did Matt Smith (and that's even assuming Capaldi leaves with him)!;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th March 2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 482699)
While I wouldn't put it past him, Moffat will have no more say in casting the next Doctor than Davies did Matt Smith (and that's even assuming Capaldi leaves with him)!;)

He has been asked by Chibnall to stay on as the Doctor.

Regarding Matt Smith's casting. Moffat's first season was intended for Tennant thinking he would regenerate at the end of The Big Bang. Can't remember where Moffat discusses the changes they had to make to bring Smith in early.

Susan Foreman 27th March 2016 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 482708)
Regarding Matt Smith's casting. Moffat's first season was intended for Tennant thinking he would regenerate at the end of The Big Bang. Can't remember where Moffat discusses the changes they had to make to bring Smith in early.

Steven Moffat’s Unused Doctor Who Story Arc – What If David Tennant Had Stayed For One More Year?

iank 27th March 2016 07:53 AM

I'm glad he didn't, to be honest. Least Smithy got one good season this way.

hivemind 27th March 2016 12:22 PM

I'm always hoping for the Doctor to meet his grand-daughter Susan Foreman.
Just a simple title like "Whatever Happend to Susan Foreman" would do the trick.

Maybe Mr. Chibnall would contemplate such a concept?. Doubt it though. I'm hoping that Capaldi will stay on for just the one season with Chibnall as showrunner, but it's a 50/50 to be totally frank and honest. I'm just dreading who will be cast as Doctor number 13.

iank 27th March 2016 09:32 PM

Listened to the first half of possibly the most famous "lost story", The Nightmare Fair (the first story of the original season 23, which was just weeks away from entering production when that twat Grade stuck his ignorant oar in), yesterday. Really good so far. :)

iank 29th March 2016 08:35 AM

Nightmare Fair was very enjoyable. Not the greatest story ever but a lot of fun and a shame it didn't get made. Mission to Magnus on the other hand... listened to about 20 minutes and turned it off. What crap!
Happily I'm halfway through Leviathan and that is absolutely excellent so far.

Susan Foreman 30th March 2016 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hivemind (Post 482771)
I'm always hoping for the Doctor to meet his grand-daughter Susan Foreman.
Just a simple title like "Whatever Happend to Susan Foreman" would do the trick.

That's been done

There was a radio play in 1993, with that title. It was written by Adrian Mourby and featuring Jane Asher as Susan

It can be found as an extra feature on the two disc version of 'The Dalek Invasion Of Earth'

But if anyone is truly worried and wondering about what happened to Susan Foreman - worry no more. I'm fine, and living in Nottingham (although that might be a contradiction to some!)

hivemind 30th March 2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 483249)
That's been done

There was a radio play in 1993, with that title. It was written by Adrian Mourby and featuring Jane Asher as Susan

It can be found as an extra feature on the two disc version of 'The Dalek Invasion Of Earth'

But if anyone is truly worried and wondering about what happened to Susan Foreman - worry no more. I'm fine, and living in Nottingham (although that might be a contradiction to some!)

No wonder I missed this.:thankingyou: I still have the VHS video's of The Dalek Invasion of Earth. I shall have to buy the BBC DVD.

I still would like to see Susan return to the BBC show. I'm certain Capaldi would be all for it.

iank 30th March 2016 09:30 PM

I'm pretty sure there's a McGann audio where he meets an older Susan again too. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th March 2016 10:13 PM

Michelle Gomez has been nominated for a BAFTA in the Supporting Actress category for her role as Missy in the last series two part opener.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/M...sSkCB9DgPl.jpg

iank 30th March 2016 10:34 PM

Ugh. They really are taking the smeg now. :rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st March 2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 483270)
Ugh. They really are taking the smeg now. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed Michelle's performance in all her episodes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st April 2016 11:51 PM

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...uld-be-amazing

Susan Foreman 2nd April 2016 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483586)

As a great man once said to me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483285)
I wish you wouldn't post spoof news stories off as fact. :thankingyou:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 483592)
As a great man once said to me...

It was posted by Bruce Campbell himself though so it's not a spoof.

https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce/stat...94866245890052

April Fool perhaps, but not a spoof. :tongue1:

iank 2nd April 2016 09:33 PM

I don't think they could do a worse job than the Brits have of late! :cowboy:

Listened to part 1 of The Song of the Megaptra last night. Very enjoyable so far. I do enjoy listening to Colin's Doctor. Still sounds exactly the same too. :)

Susan Foreman 4th April 2016 01:45 PM

A Guide to the History of ‘Doctor Who’ Spin-Offs | Observer

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th April 2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 483871)

https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress....ality=80&w=635

Ooh! blonde girl in wetlook leggings. I'm a sucker for those, seems a must see show to me. :dance:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 483886)
https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress....ality=80&w=635

Ooh! blonde girl in wetlook leggings. I'm a sucker for those, seems a must see show to me. :dance:

I didn't realize miss wetlook was Katherine Kelly. She was good in The Night Manager. Her blonde hair fooled me.

The synopsis sounds okay to me. I'm quite looking forward to this actually.

8 x 45 minute episodes. Hope it's out to buy this year.

iank 8th April 2016 08:28 AM

Song of Megaptra ended up rather disappointing, got very silly in the second half and I don't know how they thought for a moment they'd be able to do it in the 80s.

Last Sontarans was much better, though I still preferred Nightmare Fair and Leviathan.

Susan Foreman 12th April 2016 11:08 AM

This hasn't been officially announced yet, but...it's from The Mirror!

Make up your own minds!!

EastEnders Shabnam Masood actress Rakhee Thakrar 'in talks' with Doctor Who bosses to be Time Lord's new companion - Mirror Online

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th April 2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 485105)
This hasn't been officially announced yet, but...it's from The Mirror!

Make up your own minds!!

EastEnders Shabnam Masood actress Rakhee Thakrar 'in talks' with Doctor Who bosses to be Time Lord's new companion - Mirror Online

I was going to say i read something similar a few weeks ago but seeing as your article is from March 1st, so is this.

iank 21st April 2016 08:53 AM

Listened to Fanfare for the Common Men over the last couple of days. The Doctor takes Nyssa to see the Beatles in 1963, only to be decidedly perturbed to find their place in history taken by an identikit group called The Common Men instead. While Nyssa gets transported back to 1957 after attacking an apparent assassin, the Doctor tries to figure out WTH is going on and WTH happened to the Beatles... I enjoyed this, it was a very fun, quirky romp from start to finish. :)

Susan Foreman 21st April 2016 05:24 PM

"The new Doctor Who companion will be revealed live on BBC One on Saturday night.

The announcement will be made during half time of the FA Cup semi-final Match of the Day Live: Everton versus Manchester United at around 18:00 BST."

New Doctor Who companion to be revealed on Saturday - BBC News

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st April 2016 10:17 PM

Love the cover of the new magazine - out next week.

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....ads/dwm499.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd April 2016 11:34 AM

The new companion will be unveiled at half time in tomorrows FA Cup semi final.

Just after 6pm for those who won'e be watching the actual game but wish to tune in to see who it is.

Susan Foreman 22nd April 2016 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 486651)
"The new Doctor Who companion will be revealed live on BBC One on Saturday night.

The announcement will be made during half time of the FA Cup semi-final Match of the Day Live: Everton versus Manchester United at around 18:00 BST."

Not the first time this has happened!

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd April 2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 486651)

Apologies. I never noticed your previous post.