Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2015 10:59 PM

Slipknot's Corey Taylor ranks every Doctor Who! - Classic Rock

iank 2nd December 2015 12:12 AM

Picked up The Underwater Menace DVD today. $16 ordinarily and just $12.80 with 20% off.
That seems about right given the lack of effort put into this release. ;)

Susan Foreman 4th December 2015 03:13 PM

I started watching 'Doctor Who' with the original 10th series (1972: 'The Three Doctors' - 'The Green Death'), and this has been the first time since then that I have missed a complete series of the show

Technically, I could still see the series finale, but there doesn't seem much point now, seeing as I have no idea on what has happened since 'The Magician's Apprentice' aired

Presumably, it'll be pointless me watching the Christmas special as well

Not happy!

iank 4th December 2015 08:27 PM

You're not missing much. :tongue1:

The Underwater Menace DVD. Well, that was dreadful. Not the episodes, the recons. Absolutely unwatchable. Far worse than the Galaxy 4/Web 3 one. Static, fuzzy photos, no attempt to even make them remotely watchable or interesting or to clue the viewer in on what's supposed to be happening half the time.
The BBC putting this out as a professional product on a DVD is an absolute disgrace. Just plain taking the ****.:computerfix:

Susan Foreman 4th December 2015 09:14 PM

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but it would appear that the 2015 Christmas episode goes under the title of 'The Husbands of River Song'

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2015 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 469892)
I started watching 'Doctor Who' with the original 10th series (1972: 'The Three Doctors' - 'The Green Death'), and this has been the first time since then that I have missed a complete series of the show

Technically, I could still see the series finale, but there doesn't seem much point now, seeing as I have no idea on what has happened since 'The Magician's Apprentice' aired

Presumably, it'll be pointless me watching the Christmas special as well

Not happy!

This series has been either excellent or poor. It's a shame because the poor ones seem to outnumber the excellent ones.

Susan Foreman 4th December 2015 10:19 PM

Is 'Sir' Peter Jackson actually going to direct a 'Doctor Who'?

https://www.facebook.com/PeterJackso...3602968491558/

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2015 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 469972)
Is 'Sir' Peter Jackson actually going to direct a 'Doctor Who'?

https://www.facebook.com/PeterJackso...3602968491558/

Already been posted earlier this week. ;)

hivemind 4th December 2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 469965)
This series has been either excellent or poor. It's a shame because the poor ones seem to outnumber the excellent ones.

It's certainly been a hit and miss series. The final episode for this series looks like it will end with a whimper rather than a bang! I've got mixed feelings for this series, and Dr Who's future in general. After next year I can see Dr Who either being totally rejigged or put to rest. Moffat's outstayed his welcome in my opinion, and maybe it's time for someone else to take the top post, not Mark Gatiss. It seems that some of the stories feel tired and to some degree flat. The Time Lords returning should be a major turning point, but judging by the spoiler free reviews it looks like it's going to be pretty dull. O'well.... Here's hoping next year's better......Maybe or maybe not.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 08:10 PM

Not sure if Hell Bent was brilliant or terrible.

Probably a bit of both!

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470037)

Probably a bit of both!

Loved it. Wonder if we'll see you know who appear in the Class spin-off at some point, or even get their own spin-off in the future. Got a few billion years of adventures ahead of them!

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 470038)
Loved it. Wonder if we'll see you know who appear in the Class spin-off at some point, or even get their own spin-off in the future. Got a few billion years of adventures ahead of them!

Definitely. That was all very good. It was just the whole Time Lord part that felt, i don't know, wrong.

Roughale 7th December 2015 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 470037)

Probably a bit of both!

That was exactly my first thought after watching it, no, it started to fill my head as I was watching it already ;) I am thinking about it a lot, have lot of interpretations as what it all contained, so at leastz I can be sure it was nocht dull, it definitely had substance and also made a lot of stuff I did not like much in the previous episode look much better in retrospect, there was still some stuff in it I completely hated, most dominantly the

SPOILER:
recurring sex change regeneration - if they ever make a female Doctor, I am over as executioner for the responsibles *gg*

I am still analysing the episode, maybe I'll be back later with my interpretations - anyone feel like a discussion about what actually might have happened? And what may come? Let me know...

Demoncrat 7th December 2015 12:54 PM

Mind what I said about the last one? Triple that and put some holly on top.

Susan Foreman 11th December 2015 04:53 PM

The 2015 Christmas special is due to be transmitted on BBC1 at 5:15pm

Susan Foreman 25th December 2015 08:13 AM

Amazon has got pre-orders for the 'Complete 9th Series' DVD and Blu-Ray sets - RRP £49.99 for the DVD and £54.99 for the Blu-Ray

Release date is March 7th, 2016

The 7 disc DVD (and 6 disc Blu-Ray) contains all 12 episodes from the series, plus the 2014 Christmas special 'Last Christmas' AND the 2015 Christmas specials 'The Husbands Of River Song'

Also included are:
  • Commentaries for select episodes ("Under the Lake" / "Before the Flood", "The Woman Who Lived", "Sleep No More")
  • Series 9 trailers, US prequel "The Doctor's Meditation" and Prologue
  • Deleted scenes
  • Series 8 recap
  • 2015 San Diego Comic Con Panel
  • An interview with Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman hosted by Wil Wheaton
  • Doctor Who Extra
  • 6 documentaries

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th December 2015 05:38 PM

Really enjoyed The Husbands of River Song.

A lot of fun, a Christmas delight.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th December 2015 05:50 PM

Andra Jai 25th December 2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 472109)
Amazon has got pre-orders for the 'Complete 9th Series' DVD and Blu-Ray sets - RRP £49.99 for the DVD and £54.99 for the Blu-Ray

Release date is March 7th, 2016

The 7 disc DVD (and 6 disc Blu-Ray) contains all 12 episodes from the series, plus the 2014 Christmas special 'Last Christmas' AND the 2015 Christmas specials 'The Husbands Of River Song'

Also included are:
  • Commentaries for select episodes ("Under the Lake" / "Before the Flood", "The Woman Who Lived", "Sleep No More")
  • Series 9 trailers, US prequel "The Doctor's Meditation" and Prologue
  • Deleted scenes
  • Series 8 recap
  • 2015 San Diego Comic Con Panel
  • An interview with Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman hosted by Wil Wheaton
  • Doctor Who Extra
  • 6 documentaries

Just ordered the Blu-ray for £38.99 from BBC Shop which also comes with free delivery, seemed like a good price.

Andra Jai 25th December 2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 472136)
Really enjoyed The Husbands of River Song.

A lot of fun, a Christmas delight.

Same here, alhough I've never been a great fan of River Song, the chemistry between her and this Doctor was excellent. For me the best Christmas special to date

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th December 2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 472143)
Same here, alhough I've never been a great fan of River Song, the chemistry between her and this Doctor was excellent. For me the best Christmas special to date

I still think The Next Doctor is the best. I know i'm in a minority and it isn't well thought of generally though.

I can't resist a giant Cyber King crashing about Victorian London.

JoshuaKaitlyn 25th December 2015 06:59 PM

Err No! Typical of what the program has become for christmas! The only moment that I really liked was Song's realization of who the Doctor was and his "Hello Sweetie" line. The rest was just 'Its Doctor Who and Christmas lets put a silly one out and have a few famous (?) comedians in it.
:xmashumbug:

hivemind 25th December 2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 472149)
Err No! Typical of what the program has become for christmas! The only moment that I really liked was Song's realization of who the Doctor was and his "Hello Sweetie" line. The rest was just 'Its Doctor Who and Christmas lets put a silly one out and have a few famous (?) comedians in it.
:xmashumbug:

Don't worry, I already filled two sick bags as I watched this gooey love fest known as The Husbands of River Song. Just thinking about the story now makes me want to.... Oh dear! Best Christmas special was The Christmas Invasion. Hasn't been bettered since, and it's written by Russell T. Davies.

Absolute worse story was Voyage of the Damned, followed by The End of Time. Total shit, except for Timothy Dalton.

Roughale 26th December 2015 12:10 PM

I liked the Christmas special, I always liked River episodes and here Alex really was great together with Peter! But she looked a bit tired and maybe old... I liked the laughing fit of the Doctor and her, I hope he can regain his old self after all the tragedy...

The story was ok, I also noticed that there seems to be a must for comedians in the Christmas special - nothing against that but Matt Lucas was somehow not doing what he can do best, maybe that was not what they wanted (rude Little Britain stuff), but if not, why use him then? Nick Frost was better last Christmas, in my book at least...

Long wait is on now, I always hate that...

Belated Christmas wishes to all!
:xmastree:

Susan Foreman 26th December 2015 12:38 PM

For the first time in, 'like, forever'*, I have missed the complete series AND the Christmas special

*To be read in a Cher from 'Clueless'-type voice

trebor8273 26th December 2015 08:02 PM

27 Attachment(s)
Been watching these episodes

Attachment 173528
Attachment 173529
Attachment 173530

Attachment 173531
Attachment 173532
Attachment 173533

Attachment 173534
Attachment 173535
Attachment 173536

Attachment 173537
Attachment 173538
Attachment 173539

Attachment 173540
Attachment 173541
Attachment 173542

Attachment 173543
Attachment 173544
Attachment 173547

Attachment 173548
Attachment 173549
Attachment 173550

Attachment 173551
Attachment 173552
Attachment 173553

Attachment 173554
Attachment 173555
Attachment 173556

Susan Foreman 26th December 2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 472202)
Been watching these episodes

No 'Ambassadors Of Death'?

trebor8273 26th December 2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 472204)
No 'Ambassadors Of Death'?

Yes I've missed that one

hivemind 26th December 2015 09:14 PM

One of my favourite periods of Dr Who. Every story is a joy to behold. Ok! Maybe Colony In Space isn't spectacular as the other stories, but as a season it's pure gold.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th December 2015 10:32 PM

I enjoyed Colony in Space when i first watched the dvd. Although i used to have it on vhs it was one of the last batch to be released on the format and dvd had begun to take over so it got neglected by myself. Cool tin though.

But yeah i rather enjoyed the dvd. Preferred it to Ambassadors of Death which is way too long.

Mind of Evil is one of the greatest Doctor Who stories ever, so i hope you liked it Trebor.

Make Them Die Slowly 27th December 2015 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

iank 27th December 2015 08:00 PM

Saw The Seeds of Doom again last night. Rip-roaring stuff celebrating its 40th anniversary; superbly acted by all the cast - Tony Beckley stealing the show as the absolutely insane Harrison Chase - with a great script, great direction, great monsters, great villains and fantastically atmospheric and chilling music. An undisputed classic.
Once again shows up the modern "program" for the doggerel that it is. :snowman::xmasclean:

hivemind 28th December 2015 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 472269)
Saw The Seeds of Doom again last night. Rip-roaring stuff celebrating its 40th anniversary; superbly acted by all the cast - Tony Beckley stealing the show as the absolutely insane Harrison Chase - with a great script, great direction, great monsters, great villains and fantastically atmospheric and chilling music. An undisputed classic.
Once again shows up the modern "program" for the doggerel that it is. :snowman::xmasclean:

Sadly, yes!. I've not been impressed with the ninth season of Dr Who. Started with such promise, but decended into disappointment towards the middle section and end. How can you fault Seeds of Doom, great story and truly a Dr Who classic. I REALLY do believe that Hinchcliffe should come back as Dr Who executive producer. Just a dream I know. The Deadly Assassin is what you wish a good Gallifreyan story should be like. Often Doctor Who from the past is far superior to the Dr Who of today by a mile. Just wish we had more memorable stories that we could call classic from today's more modern approach Dr Who. Hardly any of them reach the point of what you would call 'classic', if that. Blink was a REAL one off story, but many fail to reach the heights of the early Tom Baker stories or some of the early Pertwee era adventures. I certainly find the original series far more rewarding and watchable than what we have as Dr Who today.

Demoncrat 29th December 2015 02:56 PM

IT WAS SHIT

Though I did receive the blu of Spearhead From Space for Xmas

iank 29th December 2015 07:41 PM

Now that's class. :burningtree:

hivemind 29th December 2015 11:10 PM

IT WAS SHIT

Shame the lettering for "IT WAS SHIT" wasn't a darker brown. But fitting words nevertheless.

Susan Foreman 31st December 2015 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gratuitous girlie pin-up pic

iank 31st December 2015 09:53 PM

Happy New Year!:xmascan:

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st December 2015 11:47 PM

Happy New Year to all who contribute to this thread.

:glitter:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2016 11:21 AM

108 today.

Happy birthday to William Hartnell. - The Doctor.